Irishness?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

Para-Noid
why is that?

or is it because some official may have misspelled it a valid reason?

FireStrut

Forum Crew Member
Some of my ancestors were Irish. My wife and I are planning a trip to Ireland sometime in 2010.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My Mom's side of the family is all Irish. My grandparents were first generation from the auld sod. My dad, on the other hand, was half Polish and half French Huguenot, settling in South Carolina.

I'm a mixed bag... but by my penchant for Bushmill's, I'd say that my ethnic behavioral predominance points toward Ireland.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The Irish on my mother's side were from County Mayo... Father's family was from Dublin

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I'm Erin McBrier (married Cooley)... partly irish, partly scottish however I don't know my heritage or if I have any irish or scottish to back up my name!!!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Dad is Russian, Polish and German. Mom is Scotish and Irish.
Hmmmmm......what does that make me I wonder?

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Irish/Sicilian on my father's side. Finnish/Norwegian on my Mom's.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Actual last name was originally Coppola. Yep, same as Francis Ford. Just about every bit of evidence the family has found in regards to relation shows a very distant relation between us and Francis Ford Coppola and Nicholas Cage (Francis Ford Coppola's nephew). Nicholas Cage was actually credited as Nicholas Coppola in the credits of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like 100% to me!

There's some english and swiss on my mom's side and a dutch grandfather on my father's side.. so only about 86%

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Look at all the mics here...........wow. Its like an effing convention.... I could go fishing with a potato and catch me a real bundle.

50% Irish 50% Scottish. Nobility on the scottish side and not real sure about the irish.
I have red hair and I wear a kilt leave me alone..

Vonny

Forum Crew Member
50% Irish 50% Scottish. Nobility on the scottish side and not real sure about the irish.
I have red hair and I wear a kilt leave me alone..

FYI. I might start another war here but most Scots are Irish from way, way back. In fact in olden times back when they still had dragons in England the English word for the Irish was Scot.
As for the Nobility all Irish are Noble... lol
Slainte!

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
As someone who is 100% first-generation Scottish (2 t's please people, and "scotch" is a drink, not a nationality) I have to say...

You are correct.

It was way, way, back mind you, and the first migration from Ireland to Scotland probably involved "walking" from A to B, via a big sheet of ice which was later to become the Irish sea.

It only accounts for some of the early settlers though, as there are still remnants of early settlements from the Norse, who are reported to have settled around 2500 BC or so (or over four and a half thousand years ago). Skara Brae in Orkney being the obvious example.

Two of Scotland's most famous exports, Billy Connolly, and Sean Connery, are from Irish stock if you go back a few generations.

Slaandjivaa!

Vonny

Forum Crew Member
the first migration from Ireland to Scotland probably involved "walking" from A to B, via a big sheet of ice which was later to become the Irish sea.

With the weather we have been having here over the past week I think we will be able to walk there again soon. Historic freeze going on.