Intoxicated EMS workers

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
I was witness to very disturbing thing the other night. Fellows from the neighboring dept. was "booze cruising" while technically on call. I mean blitzed drunk. Urinated in there pants staggering not talking plane. Did I have a duty to of called some one? :sad:

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
If he was in public, then everybody has a duty to call 911. Nothing wrong with following the rules.

Now lets say they were on call but were in a home, but you KNEW they were on call. If you knew the facts, knew they were on call, and knew they can't drink while on call, then I'd call their Captain or Chief or whoever they have up top at the station.

My point is, make sure you've got it straight.

OP
OP
F

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
If he was in public, then everybody has a duty to call 911. Nothing wrong with following the rules.

Now lets say they were on call but were in a home, but you KNEW they were on call. If you knew the facts, knew they were on call, and knew they can't drink while on call, then I'd call their Captain or Chief or whoever they have up top at the station.

My point is, make sure you've got it straight.[/QUOTE

It's ran out of the FD over there. So i guess they decide if they go or not. I figured they where do to the pagers being on and I could see the batter light on.

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Stupidity isn't limited to the patients and this is a new level of it. It's a very serious accusation so be sure you have some proof of it. That said, not only do I hope they get fired but serve jail time. There is no way they would be able to function if their patient was dying. They are literally a public hazard

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Just because their pager is on does not mean that they are on-call or have any intention of responding. if they were on-call and are the only duty crew that night, then yes this is wrong. if it is a department without a duty-crew rotation and everyone on the department gets called for every call then I would say its a shady area but nothing wrong. you cant be ready to go 24 hours every day with no breaks to let loose, its not good for the mind.

their level of intoxication is what I find disturbing. don't get me wrong, I have been piss my pants drunk before but I grew out of that stage and never drink the day before I am on shift. the smart thing for them to have done would be to leave the pager at home when they drink so there is no temptation to respond.

Jmo371

Forum Crew Member
That pisses me off....i love drinking and getting hammered with my buddies, and i listen to ems/fire control when im drunk but would never ever respond.....if they were actually on call that in inexcusible.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
More than likely its a couple of squirrely firefighters showing off that they are firefighters. Probably turn the volume up for everyone too hear when the Tones drop. .....you know, just in you didn't catch on the first 17 Times they told you they were firefighters.

Some of the above is sarcasm, they're probably squirrely

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I was witness to very disturbing thing the other night. Fellows from the neighboring dept. was "booze cruising" while technically on call. I mean blitzed drunk. Urinated in there pants staggering not talking plane. Did I have a duty to of called some one? :sad:

I'd suggest that you consider having a discussion with one of their officers, if you're pretty confident about the facts.

Note that he may not have had any intention of responding to calls. But the level of intoxication is worthy of concern, especially if he appeared to be on-duty or otherwise representing the department.