Interview At Bowers Ambulance Tomorrow!

danjncoop

Forum Probie
You guys are lucky i have applied everywhere in san diego and havent heard back from anyone at all. I call every company i have applied at once a week just to show that im very interested because i really am. I want get out in the field and start working, this is what i love to do. I have done about 11 Ride Alongs with Rural Metro Paramedics and yet still nothing at all. Its becoming very frustrating and i dont know what to do....Any Advise??

It took me about 4 months to get a job with a company so dont feel too bad. I didnt have any prior EMS experience so it was tough competing with applicants who had months and even years of experience. The truth is, jobs are very scarce right now so if you do land one I would advise sticking with it. I do know that San Diego has very few EMT jobs currently as well as OC and LA. If your willing to make the drive to Orange, a company to look at would be Shoreline in Huntington Beach. Due to the economic recession very few fire departments are hiring which is why so few EMT jobs are out there. Many EMT's are continuing to work at private ambulance companies for simple job security. The pay isnt great but it's better than nothing. My advice would be to keep up on your skills and study your EMT book so that when you are called in for testing, you ace it. It would also be beneficial to you to practice interviewing. Start thinking about your answers as to why you want to work for that particular ambulance company?? What will you bring to the company, your strengths and weaknesses, etc. I was in your shoes not too long ago so just keep filling out apps. I must of applied to at least 6 companies in LA and OC before landing a job with a great company. Have you checked out Americare?? I know their SD division is highly repuatable. Also look at SD Medical Services Enterprises, I saw them all over when I was down south. I know it can be frustrating playing the waiting game but it's just the way it is in this economy. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
It took me about 4 months to get a job with a company so dont feel too bad. I didnt have any prior EMS experience so it was tough competing with applicants who had months and even years of experience. The truth is, jobs are very scarce right now so if you do land one I would advise sticking with it. I do know that San Diego has very few EMT jobs currently as well as OC and LA. If your willing to make the drive to Orange, a company to look at would be Shoreline in Huntington Beach. Due to the economic recession very few fire departments are hiring which is why so few EMT jobs are out there. Many EMT's are continuing to work at private ambulance companies for simple job security. The pay isnt great but it's better than nothing. My advice would be to keep up on your skills and study your EMT book so that when you are called in for testing, you ace it. It would also be beneficial to you to practice interviewing. Start thinking about your answers as to why you want to work for that particular ambulance company?? What will you bring to the company, your strengths and weaknesses, etc. I was in your shoes not too long ago so just keep filling out apps. I must of applied to at least 6 companies in LA and OC before landing a job with a great company. Have you checked out Americare?? I know their SD division is highly repuatable. Also look at SD Medical Services Enterprises, I saw them all over when I was down south. I know it can be frustrating playing the waiting game but it's just the way it is in this economy. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help

I have applied at Americare for the SD divison and i have also applied for SDMSE its the same thing as Rural Metro they just combined the two names. Im doing a ride along today with SDMSE Paramedics. I will study my book though some more especially today when we have down time and at home along with my skills. Its just frustrating because i have applied every where and havent even had a phone call back at all, but im hoping somthing will pop up soon for me so i can start working. So we will see just have to be patient.

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
Has it really gotten that bad down there?!?

I worked for Pacific in 06 and it was not at all like that back then. Scary. I wish you guys all the best of luck.

and if Vanzinni still works for Americare I will laugh...ha ha

blastereosloud

Forum Crew Member
Hi all,

I know this post was done WAYYY back in the day, but rather than create a new redundant thread, I figured I'd just sorta reopen the podium on this one. I am a brand spanking new EMT-Basic and have an interview with my first ambulance company on Tuesday, November 22. My interview is with Bowers/Pacific and it is with Randy. I was able to collect a few of the questions you all mentioned they would ask during the oral interview but I was wondering if you guys had anymore that came to mind that I should be prepared for? Also, I'm incredibly new to this (with no prior EMT experience to mention) and am a bit stuck on the question of "Tell us about yourself", as well as the question of "Why do you want to work for Bowers/Pacific?" Now, I applied to several places and they were the first and only ones to respond to me so far but obviously taking the truthful route and saying something like, "Well you were the first ones to respond to my application" isn't something they WANT to hear. I'm having a hard time coming up with a good response that won't completely sound insincere but also will not blow the position for me because it's too blunt. Anyone have any suggestions to these questions? I think with regard to virtually any interview, these questions are extremely difficult due to the fact that you don't want to sound too full of crap, but at the same time you want to say what they sort of want to hear in order to hire you. Hopefully I made some sense, I'm going over stuff right now even in my sickness trying to prepare myself but any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

danjncoop

Forum Probie
Hey there,
As far as your questions my advice would be to be yourself. I always answer the "tell me about yourself" in a similar fashion. I say where I am from, where I grew up, how old I am, why you want to be an emt (I assume u want ti be a firefighter like everyone in the ems world?), are you in college, what are you studying, and where you see yourself going in ten years. Those should be some helpful hints. The why you wanna work for bowers question I would research the company. They have BLS, ALS, cct so you can say that. I got out of the ambulance game. Working as a tech in the er and as an ambulance operator for the fire dept. Hope this helps. Any other questions I'd be happy to help you out.