Interview At Bowers Ambulance Tomorrow!

Danson

Forum Crew Member
Hey Guys,

I have an interview at Bowers tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of questions they ask. I've searched this site and found a lot of great info about interviewing...I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me more. Do they ask a list of questions or is it more like a conversation? I'm not great at interviews so any kind of advice could be helpful.

Thanks! B)

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Have confidence in why you want to be an EMT. Do you want to be an EMT forever? Hopefully no. What do you want to be doing in life? How will being an EMT help you complete your life goals? These are some things to think about.

The people who do the hiring are really patient with new hires. I had the worst interview. I was really nervous and stumbled over myself a few times. My best advice is to relax and answer the questions honestly.

OP
OP
Danson

Danson

Forum Crew Member
Thanks Mufasa, I appreciate the advice. I'll try to maintain my cool today...I'm not too nervious at the moment. And I have been thinking about why an EMT would translate well into a nursing career, which is ultimatley where I want to be.

Thanks again...I'll post how it went!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Nursing is also a part of EMS, ala Critical Care Transport nurses, or flight nurses, etc. I'm not sure if Bowers does CCT because they also do ALS, but down here at pacific we do CCT transports... In fact I have a CCT shift tonight.

OP
OP
Danson

Danson

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, that's right...that would be cool to get into some CCT. By the way, the interview went great. The guy that interviewed me was way cool so I felt comfortable just talking to him like he was any other person. Worked great! I should be hearing by the end of next week.

OP
OP
Danson

Danson

Forum Crew Member
I got the job!!!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Congratulations! For future reference, can you provide some details on the interview/hiring process?

ems_is_4_me

Forum Ride Along
Nursing is also a part of EMS, ala Critical Care Transport nurses, or flight nurses, etc. I'm not sure if Bowers does CCT because they also do ALS, but down here at pacific we do CCT transports... In fact I have a CCT shift tonight.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the fact that nurses are EMS Also. They may do CC and fly in the helicopters but they are not EMS.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I am going to have to disagree with you on the fact that nurses are EMS Also. They may do CC and fly in the helicopters but they are not EMS.

What about the states where there are EMS certifications for RNs?

What about the fact that EMS is not synonymous with "prehospital?"

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

So the nurse that picks up a half dead guy in the desert after crashing is dirt bike and then starts coding on the way to the hospital in the bird is not apart of EMS? Sure.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
She picks the downed biker up from the scene?

EMS tends to refer to medical emergencies from the scene to ER.
Not so much for facility transfers, except in some situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Danson

Danson

Forum Crew Member
Congratulations! For future reference, can you provide some details on the interview/hiring process?

The interview process includes a physical test, written test and an interview.

For the physical portion, they have you step up and down on a aerobic step for three min at 1 step/min and then check your pulse to make sure you are cardio fit. Then, you lift about a 150 lb weight from two chairs up to a table and back three times. This is to see if you will be okay to handle a gurney.

The written test was fine. If you can pass the national you can pass this one.

Then the interview is fine as long as you know why you want to be an EMT and why you want to work for Bowers. I got some good advice about that and did my research and it paid off.

Now I've got my first job as an EMT, at my first choice of companies, and can't wait to start! :rolleyes:

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
The interview process includes a physical test, written test and an interview.

For the physical portion, they have you step up and down on a aerobic step for three min at 1 step/min and then check your pulse to make sure you are cardio fit. Then, you lift about a 150 lb weight from two chairs up to a table and back three times. This is to see if you will be okay to handle a gurney.

The written test was fine. If you can pass the national you can pass this one.

Then the interview is fine as long as you know why you want to be an EMT and why you want to work for Bowers. I got some good advice about that and did my research and it paid off.

Now I've got my first job as an EMT, at my first choice of companies, and can't wait to start! :rolleyes:

What time did they contact u to let u know if u got it or not? i was supposed to get a call from Randy For pacific ambulance(bowers partner company) today, but im just waiting, its driving me insane

OP
OP
Danson

Danson

Forum Crew Member
What time did they contact u to let u know if u got it or not? i was supposed to get a call from Randy For pacific ambulance(bowers partner company) today, but im just waiting, its driving me insane

Did you take the physical/drug screen? I think they only call if you failed one or both of those. If you don't get a call by this afternoon, then you're in! I haven't gotten the call either, BTW. I'll be starting orientation on the 25th, you too?

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Did you take the physical/drug screen? I think they only call if you failed one or both of those. If you don't get a call by this afternoon, then you're in! I haven't gotten the call either, BTW. I'll be starting orientation on the 25th, you too?

I had an interview on Monday, im suppsoed to find out if i got hired or not today

but they didnt call yet

what time did u get ur first call saying u where going to the orentation?

OP
OP
Danson

Danson

Forum Crew Member
I had an interview on Monday, im suppsoed to find out if i got hired or not today

but they didnt call yet

what time did u get ur first call saying u where going to the orentation?

I had my interview on the 7th and got the call saying that I got the job on Tuesday of this week.

I hate the waiting...good luck!

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I had my interview on the 7th and got the call saying that I got the job on Tuesday of this week.

I hate the waiting...good luck!

Thanks, but what time was the call? because its almost 5pm now and ive been waiting all day!!!!

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

JPINFV

Gadfly
EMS tends to refer to medical emergencies from the scene to ER.

EMS includes the ER. I bet if you look hard enough at the LA Co EMSA website you'll find licensing requirements and fees for the local emergency rooms and trauma centers. I can link the documents from OC EMSA if you'd like.