interveiw help

Nickb

Forum Probie
i interveiw infront of a board for the paramdic program in my area. I have never done any thing like it. So im looking for tips and any other help like when do i shake hands or should I. The panel is 8 to 16 people.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
1. Dress to impress, no rolling up teenies and jeans, at least rock down there in business attire. I am not really a fan of a jacket and/or tie but some people swear by them.

2. Shave, cut hair and nails, no rapper bling or massive clock on a chain from the eighties

3. Use professional language; don't call everybody bro or dude, say yes/no rather than yeah or nah

4. The likely questions will be something like ...

- Tell me about a time when you have demonstrated leadership
- Give an example of how you handle conflicting priorities
- How have you delegated responsibility or dealt with a team
- What is your philosophy ragarding customer service

... and so on

5. Thank each interviewer for thier time and ask for a card or contact details/email

6. Send a follow up email thanking them for thier time

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you know anyone who interviews prospective employees or students? If so, you might want to try some practice interviews before the real one.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Every interview I go to... I bring a folder with a copy of my resume and photocopies of my certs and awards. They probably have your resume, but it shows that you've come prepared and that you are genuinely interested.

Show up half an hour early.

The one time I interviewed with a panel, I shook hands with everyone as we entered the room, and waited til they sat down before I did. Remember to look everyone in the eyes periodically as you talk. When they ask you to tell them about yourself, don't list off your qualifications and paraphase your resume. Tell them about the stuff they won't learn from your resume.

"Well I was born and raised here in Blankityblank. I just moved in to my first house here with my boyfriend and two dogs. We love to hike, camp and travel... blah blah blah"

That kind of stuff.

Have good questions to ask them at the end.

OP
OP
N

Nickb

Forum Probie
i go into tommrow i bought black slacks a tie and blue shirt ect i dont have a jacket im really nervous though im in the last bracket fighting for the 14 to 20 spots out of 45 i dont have a resume i havent ever written one this is to get into the school will this hurt me and how bad

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

Nickb

Forum Probie
also it more of a get to know u interveiw so they can have diveristy in the programs and different back grounds

OP
OP
N

Nickb

Forum Probie
should i shake hands with the whole board its a group of like 10 people how do i start it with out it being akward

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
A school entrance board is different from an employer panel.

You need to focus on presenting yourself as a good candidate for their program. What do you know about their program? If they asked you why you chose their program, what would you say to them other than "I want to be a paramedic"?

This is a competitive program: what qualifications do you have that set you apart from the other applicants? What motivates you to get your paramedic? Why do you want to progress, other than better pay? What in your background makes you a diverse candidate that would be an asset to their school? Think about these questions, and get your answers down on PAPER and bring them back so we can help you polish them.

The points about dressing professionally and bringing a resume still apply; also bring any educational material you have (transcripts, certs, diplomas) to show that you are interested in advancing your EDUCATION.

Good luck to you!

Wendy
CO EMT-B

OP
OP
N

Nickb

Forum Probie
thank i put together a binder with a resume and photo copys of all me certs im hella nervous i interveiw in a few hours

OP
OP
N

Nickb

Forum Probie
when do i give them the resume may when i walk in of there sitting do i still do it what the right way to do it

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
My suggestion would be to bring your papers/certs/resume/cover letter in a clean folder. When walking in inform them that you brought this and ask if they would like it prior to the interview. There will be normally be a main interviewer who takes the lead and they should reach for it. In my prior panel interviews it generally gets passed around between the interviewers to peruse. Giving it to them prior to the interview can make it go smoother as they can reference your packet for more personalized and dynamic questions.

OP
OP
N

Nickb

Forum Probie
sorry this is my f=irst reall interveiw and im trying to figure out all ettiquute because i dont wanna botch this