Interesting study on taking Blood pressures

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Here's an article that says we're taking blood pressures the wrong way.

Here's the actual study from the JAMA

Effects of Cuff Size on the Accuracy of Blood Pressure Readings​

Attachments

• jamainternal_ishigami_2023_oi_230048_1690242011.33751.pdf
    432.6 KB · Views: 98

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I think being taught how to measure an appropriate BP cuff size was taught in day 1 of EMT school.

My cardiac monitor has 7 or 8 different cuff sizes so we can make sure to select the appropriate size.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I think being taught how to measure an appropriate BP cuff size was taught in day 1 of EMT school.

My cardiac monitor has 7 or 8 different cuff sizes so we can make sure to select the appropriate size.
Yeah but do your folks really do that, or do they just grab whatever is pre attached and use it on everyone like most people?

I see it all the time in EMS, and sadly quite a bit in the ED as well. People don’t think it matters, but it really does.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah but do your folks really do that, or do they just grab whatever is pre attached and use it on everyone like most people?

I see it all the time in EMS, and sadly quite a bit in the ED as well. People don’t think it matters, but it really does.
Also a problem in non-emergent settings. The "nurses" at my PCP usually take my BP through two layers of clothing using whatever cuff is already attached. In general, the results are either way too high or guesstimated at, say, 122/78.

In my senior years, the best use for my paramedic education is self-preservation.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you think it's bad in EMS, just imagine how bad it is in the FD ;)

I think a bigger area for concerns is actually in auscultations of BPs; will the values be the same when using a Littman cardiology 3 scope vs a disposable fischer price one? What about a 20 year old provider who has decent hearing, vs a 60 year old provider who has spend 40 years hearing sirens with the windows rolled down?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
In EMT Basic class we were interested, so 3 or 4 of us that had pretty steady BP's everyday, had our pressure checked with different sized cuffs 10 classes in a row. Most varied for 2 or 4 points. Mine pretty much was the same all the time, 90/50 range

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I see this all the time as well. Size (bp cuff) does matter... it can make for an artificially high or low reading if it is not correct especially with NIBP machines. If you're treating or titrating stuff by strict numerics, then size of cuff is absolutely critical. If you don't have this, at least know enough to look at the trend and pay close attention to your patient.