Injecting right into an organ?

Hockey

Quackers
Re: Michael Jackson Autopsy

Four injection wounds were found above or near his heart after attempts to inject adrenaline directly into the organ.

Never heard of someone doing that

Common?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I remember several of the elderly posters on the forum talking about intracardiac epi being a skill they could do long ago, but bing didn't bring up anything good.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
From what I understand, it fell out of practice due to the huge risk of infection.

Though, technically even Basics inject drugs directly into atleast 1 organ.

$2 for anyone who can name it!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
From what I understand, it fell out of practice due to the huge risk of infection.

Though, technically even Basics inject drugs directly into atleast 1 organ.

$2 for anyone who can name it!

That's easy... the brain. B)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Basics don't inject anything, they assist the patient with self adminstration but do not administer themselves.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Basics don't inject anything, they assist the patient with self adminstration but do not administer themselves.
Depends.
In PA (and probably some other places) BLS services can carry and use their own epi-pens, if their medical command allows.

(The organ is the muscle, I believe).

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Skin! The largest organ of the body!

(Yes, Epi is IM, but you have to go through the skin to get the muscle)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Maybe in Florida... but not in Texas, or other states for that matter, where Basics are allowed to give Epi whether or not the pt is prescribed it.

TotowaEMT

Forum Probie
ever seen pulp fiction??:p
pulp+fiction+mia+needle.jpg

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Epinephrine intracardiac was routinely administered for cardiac arrest. Many Cardiologist I know of will still do perform that route. Yes, some of us "Seniors" remember performing this in the field.

The reason it was abandoned was NOT infection rates, rather it was dangerous procedure as not injecting into the heart properly and hitting the lung, no increase response or success in outcomes. In other words why do it, if it does not work?

R/r911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Can someone post a link to the "official" autopsy report since the last report that was just on the news was there would be no "official" report with any conclusive information until lab tests are back?