Im not as strong as i thought i was!

Rin

Forum Captain
One thing that is hard for me (and most of us vertically challenged, i would think ) is drawsheet. I really don't know how to strengthen for that. Repetition? :)

Maybe rowing exercises? I've gotten better at draw sheet, but I did have a hard time in the beginning with it. Tall partners and beds raised to my armpits grumble grumble grumble.

I like how you said your partners are "usually" understanding...

eventer22

Forum Crew Member
Lol, yes! One girl claims she can't load or lift the head end of the stretcher because she's pregnant.... Meanwhile she's smoking. *rolls eyes* and that's a good idea! I'll try rowing exercises.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It takes me 2 lifts to get the head end up. I really don't know. I just squat down, tighten my abs and stand up. It is CONSIDERABLY harder for me to lift that end though. My partners are usually understanding (and taller) than i am. I'm not saying my arms are weak, but i curl then on the head end. I don't lift it very often. But i will next shift and report back the exact way! One thing that is hard for me (and most of us vertically challenged, i would think ) is drawsheet. I really don't know how to strengthen for that. Repetition? :)

1. Work on abs as well as back for transfers, they also help strengthen the torso which helps protect the back. Go thorough the motions of what you want to prepare for and work those muscles.

2. The macho equality deal where someone, gender neutral, who can better lift the lighter end of a load feels forced to lift the heavy end is BS. A co-worker might do that, a partner would not. And if you need to work the lighter end, tell your co-worker. But, by the same token, if you can't do the lifting safely, get into something else!

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
While we're on the topic, what's the best way to ensure that one lifts with their legs and not with their back?

eventer22

Forum Crew Member
I try. It's not like if I'm not already on that end I say I can't lift it, I get it up as high as I can. If that's what you're saying, I don't make excuses when I'm on shift. I think it's a good compromise that if I lift the foot end and load.

Sumner

Forum Ride Along
Cardio really helps but your lifting power should come from your legs. It seems like pretty much everybody can lift without doing much leg training unless they're at a height/weight disadvantage.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have increased my strength enough that now all the guys at work joke that I am the one to call if they need any sort of lift assist. I laugh, but at the same time I think it is pretty cool that none of them worry about having to move patients with me.

However, they didn't feel that way several months ago. Like already mentioned, 10 lb weights aren't going to do much of anything for you. You can't be afraid to "lift heavy" - it will increase your strength and tone you without making you look like a body builder. If you have never lifted before, hire a trainer. Learning proper technique can't be stressed enough!

Personally, I prefer kettle bells to bars and free weights, but I know not everyone feels that way. I can use a 20 kg kettle bell for some single bell work, and use a 16 kg bell for everything that the 20 is still just a bit too heavy for. When I am doing double kettle bell work, I am consistently doing everything with double 16's. One of the best things about working out with kettle bells is that due to the nature of the exercises, and how the workouts are typically put together, you are essentially doing weight and cardio training at the same time.

Then there's the fact, that along with making some diet changes, working out with kettle bells and a personal trainer has helped me to loose 65 pounds. It's amazing how much better I feel and how much more I can do, simply because I have lost the weight.

mycrofft

While we're on the topic, what's the best way to ensure that one lifts with their legs and not with their back?

Keep your elbows close to your torso and your butt pulled close to your vertical center of gravity. Bend your knees to get down to the load, keep head up.

Rin

Forum Captain
Personally, I prefer kettle bells to bars and free weights, but I know not everyone feels that way. I can use a 20 kg kettle bell for some single bell work, and use a 16 kg bell for everything that the 20 is still just a bit too heavy for. When I am doing double kettle bell work, I am consistently doing everything with double 16's. One of the best things about working out with kettle bells is that due to the nature of the exercises, and how the workouts are typically put together, you are essentially doing weight and cardio training at the same time.

I just started lifting kettle bells and I love them so far! I don't know why when I tried dumbbells lifting always felt wobbly and unstable, but when I lift a kettle bell for some reason the way the weight shifts just makes sense to my body. Lifts are smooth and controlled. I can feel them working all the stray muscles in my core along with my arms/shoulders/etc.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
My old partner at work was overweight, he lost around 40 pounds doing crossfit.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
There is nothing wrong with doing two lifts for the stretcher if you've had to drop it all the way to the ground. If we've got a big patient on the stretcher and I've got the heavy end, I'll let my partner know that we're doing a two stage lift. For the first part I'll kneel and get a good grip and pull up to my chest. That gets the stretcher two or three clicks off the ground and puts it at a much better height to perform a standing lift safely.

I cringe whenever I see a crew try to get a 250lb+ patient up off the floor in one motion. There simply isn't a good way to protect your back doing that.

mycrofft

I never hurt my back on a lift from the ground up to the ambulance of a pt on an ambulance litter which was down and properly locked. This was before powered litters. And the short pull of a wheelchair up a three foot ramp into the side hatch would HELP back pain (traction). I could feel the burn transferring patients across though.

agah

Forum Crew Member
I started heavy lifting in August and dropped a good amount of body fat. I started off with stronglifts 5x5 and now moved to 5-3-1 mostly doing compound movements. Another good program is "starting strength". Look those up. The info is free. Weights, even heavy weights, won't get you bulky.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

We can start with "*** to grass". That means to bend your knees and try to get your butt as far down as it needs to be to comfortable grip the weight. If you're doing it wrong, you will feel it in your back the next day, undoubtedly. If you're having trouble with that concept, just step back and squat. Then, repeat the same motion to lift. Also, keep your head up. If it helps you, look at a point on the wall 1-2 feet above eye level the whole evolution. Also, make sure you keep your chest popped out (this will help ensure your back stays straight). Think about it as if you're a tough guy and has to prove he has pecs and delts.

Last edited by a moderator: