Im not as strong as i thought i was!

EMTbasicGirl

Forum Probie
I'm a 5'4 230 lb female. It is extremely hard for me to lift a patient on a stretcher and this was only in basic class, not actually the real thing. I've started lifting 10 lb dumb bells. What else can I do to build my strength?

Drax

Forum Captain
I'm a 5'4 230 lb female. It is extremely hard for me to lift a patient on a stretcher and this was only in basic class, not actually the real thing. I've started lifting 10 lb dumb bells. What else can I do to build my strength?

Cardio, Push-ups, Sit-ups
Repeat until you've lost about 70 pounds

Then worry about weights.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There's a lot of threads on lifting and strength training programs.

I'm a 5'8" 135# make and rarely get into a situation that I can't make work. With that said don't be too big to ask for help. You only have one back and back injuries suck. I'm 24 years old and my days in EMS are numbered due to multiple cervical and thoracic injuries, none occurred on the job but the concept is the same.

Lifting is more about technique than pure power. Proper lifting mechanics go a long way.

I also two point the load-lift into the rig when at all possible or let my big macho partner or a FFer single it if they feel like risking their back.

What are you doing with these 10 pound dumbbells lift wise? The big things in EMS are leg, core and back strength. Without a strong core you can't transfer any of the power your legs generate. You can have the biggest legs in the works but you're only going to be able to lift what your core will support.

Dead lifts, cleans, squats, snatch squats, all good exercises but don't just go to the gym and pick up weights and get after it. If you've never learned to lift safely and correctly you're putting yourself at a massive risk for a permanent, debilitating injury. I know it sucks to spend money cause they're not cheap but one or two sessions with a trainer are key to learn in proper technique and get a plan that you can follow and build on. Proper diet is important as well to both physical and mental health and strength.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

Technique plays a large role. I'm not much bigger (and I'm certainly not "built") than Robb and rarely need assistance on normal lift/moves.

Get your center of gravity as close to where you're lifting as possible, use your legs not your arms, etc. Lots of videos out there on lifting/moving.

Squats would be another good idea, given that's the ideal means of lifting rather than curling with your arms.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Technique is like 4 wheel drive. Some stuff you simply cannot do until you have it, but if you aren't careful, it can get you places you shouldn't have gone. Especially if you have technique but then lose condition by becoming sedentary, ill, injured, or just plain old. Losing a lift halfway up with a patient and your co-worker, as well as your back, on the line is no bueno.

There is also a reason so many on the job firefighter deaths are from heart attacks. Getting fired up and over-lifting put strains on the body which will cause weaknesses to fail.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
There's a lot of threads on lifting and strength training programs.

I'm a 5'8" 135# make and rarely get into a situation that I can't make work. With that said don't be too big to ask for help. You only have one back and back injuries suck. I'm 24 years old and my days in EMS are numbered due to multiple cervical and thoracic injuries, none occurred on the job but the concept is the same.

Lifting is more about technique than pure power. Proper lifting mechanics go a long way.

I also two point the load-lift into the rig when at all possible or let my big macho partner or a FFer single it if they feel like risking their back.

What are you doing with these 10 pound dumbbells lift wise? The big things in EMS are leg, core and back strength. Without a strong core you can't transfer any of the power your legs generate. You can have the biggest legs in the works but you're only going to be able to lift what your core will support.

Dead lifts, cleans, squats, snatch squats, all good exercises but don't just go to the gym and pick up weights and get after it. If you've never learned to lift safely and correctly you're putting yourself at a massive risk for a permanent, debilitating injury. I know it sucks to spend money cause they're not cheap but one or two sessions with a trainer are key to learn in proper technique and get a plan that you can follow and build on. Proper diet is important as well to both physical and mental health and strength.

Quoted for emphasis.

Get yourself a trainer and a general fitness plan. That should be your first step. 10lb dumbbells aren't going to do much for you.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'm about your same size and I have no problem lifting. Not to beat a dead horse, but it really is about technique. The 10lb weights aren't going to do much. Most of my lifting strength comes from my legs. You shouldn't be counting on upper body all that much.

Start doing cardio. And dieting. I'm down about 50lbs from where I was, and it really makes a difference. I use the my fitness pal app. Count my calories and watch my fat intake.

You should be able to comfortably lift your end of a stretcher with 200-250lbs on it. Anything more than that you can justify calling for a lift assist. Or even less than that if it's going to be a difficult transition in and out of a house. It's all about working smarter, improvising, and finding what works for you.

Rin

Forum Captain

Being 5'4", you're going to find that lifting with your legs only gets you so far. After that, you are going to need some upper body strength. So definitely work your legs and core, but hands, biceps, and shoulders too.

I'm curious how much your "patient" weighed, and which end of the cot you had.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
As Rin mentioned, the end of the cot matters. Head is always heaviest, feet end is lightest. There is no shame what so ever if you make a decision with your partner that you would lift at the feet and they lift at the head.

As well, technique is key. It is more than key. 5'4" isn't awful. You still really need to focus on your lower body and doing correct squats (if you need to, youtube for videos of proper form, as there are more ways than one to have a not perfect squat). Once you start noticing, whether its now or later, that you are having trouble at the higher points, then for you I would suggest working your shoulders by doing heavy shrugs and then working your triceps with skull crushers (weight over head) and pushups. Bicep curls look pretty, but personally I don't think that will come into play until you start talking sheet draw and extrications.

tl;dr - Despite your height, still really focus on form and legs. Practice body squats, get your form down. Squat with a band under your feet. You'll be surprised how much force you can apply when you line your body up. Heck, get one of your instructors to critique your technique.

Anjel

Forum Angel
As Rin mentioned, the end of the cot matters. Head is always heaviest, feet end is lightest. There is no shame what so ever if you make a decision with your partner that you would lift at the feet and they lift at the head.

Eh I disagree. Why should your partner always have to lift the "heavy" end. You should be able to lift at both ends.

mycrofft

Actually, height does matter if you get off the nice flat smooth sidewalks. A waist-high obstacle to one person might be a mid-sternum high lift to another. And height disparity is another; need partners fairly close in height and arm length.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually, height does matter if you get off the nice flat smooth sidewalks. A waist-high obstacle to one person might be a mid-sternum high lift to another. And height disparity is another; need partners fairly close in height and arm length.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter, I'm just saying that just because she is short doesn't mean she doesn't need to focus on the same things that the rest of us do, ie, lower body.

Rin

Forum Captain
Eh I disagree. Why should your partner always have to lift the "heavy" end. You should be able to lift at both ends.

More than just being the heavy end, the head is the higher end, bringing us back to it being a chest-high lift for a short person. I can't tell you how many times I've lifted the head end, then privately freaked thinking I broke my phone in my breast pocket.

Also, when a patient is sitting up, their weight becomes distributed more toward the feet, evening the weight out between the two ends. Personally, I dislike when patients want/need to sit fowlers because it raises the center of gravity making the lift feel slightly unstable, especially if they shift their weight during the lift.

eventer22

Forum Crew Member
Core and squats. I used to ride horses,which is all those muscles. and I'm 5'2" and 200. I can load and lift the foot end up to about 325. I lift better than half the guys i work with. But I can only lift the head end to full height at about 200. Get those legs working!

APratt

Forum Ride Along
I suggest practice, practice, practice. I am 5'6 but only 115 lbs. and this is an issue I had. The more familiar I became with the stretcher and practiced technique, the better I became. Now, I can lift as much as my male partners and I did not need to change my workout routine.

Rin

Forum Captain
Core and squats. I used to ride horses,which is all those muscles. and I'm 5'2" and 200. I can load and lift the foot end up to about 325. I lift better than half the guys i work with. But I can only lift the head end to full height at about 200. Get those legs working!

I'd love to know your technique for lifting the load to the required height without needing excessive upper body strength. Are you simultaneously curling your biceps or do you lock your arms in another position?

mycrofft

And, if you'r just gliding along a sidewalk to the vehicle and you don';t need to be face to face with the patient, why raise the litter at all, if you can safely control it when it is lowered and you are walking alongside or fore and aft?

eventer22

Forum Crew Member
It takes me 2 lifts to get the head end up. I really don't know. I just squat down, tighten my abs and stand up. It is CONSIDERABLY harder for me to lift that end though. My partners are usually understanding (and taller) than i am. I'm not saying my arms are weak, but i curl then on the head end. I don't lift it very often. But i will next shift and report back the exact way! One thing that is hard for me (and most of us vertically challenged, i would think ) is drawsheet. I really don't know how to strengthen for that. Repetition? :)