I'll be that guy, who gets scared.

ThatEMTGuy

Forum Crew Member
Well guys I had a 24 yesterday and I had a pt with MRSA and his skin touched mines, and he used my pen, is there a great risk I could get it? Has this ever happened to you?

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Not sure if serious....

I've gotten all sorts of nasty on me over the years. I've gotten quite proficient in dodging, ducking, or anticipating the nasty coming my way. I wouldn't worry about. I'll Cavi my pen after most patients. MRSA isn't high on my list of things I'm worried about. Pink Eye is number one on my list, but I'm weird.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You are aware that MRSA exists almost everywhere you go in your routine life, right? I never quite understood the "cooties" thing...in your everyday life, most people will pen share, shake hands, touch doorknobs, and then touch their face or eat without giving any of it a second thought...then the moment they step on an ambulance and you have a patient in front of you...everything becomes infectious. At least while on duty, you know what you are potentially being exposed to...think of all the stuff in everyday life you have zero clue about.

While ignorance is bliss...a little more education is clearly indicated.

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
Had a pt on the ground when we arrived, low bp and an infected wound (poorly dressed) on her foot. She was 225ish and couldn't get up on her own. I hooked under her armpits and we were full on vertical spooning by the time I got her upright (I was big spoon at least). Back in the truck I examined her wound and redressed it. After ED drop off my partner informed me that the lady had active MRSA. It bothered me a little, but I deconned as well as I could and went on with my life. akflightmedic hits it spot on.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
The conventional wisdom is that if you spend time in any sort of medical care environment (ECF, Hospital, Clinic, etc) you already have MRSA well colonized. Probably in your nose.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Well guys I had a 24 yesterday and I had a pt with MRSA and his skin touched mines, and he used my pen, is there a great risk I could get it? Has this ever happened to you?
did you wash the area that was touched with soap and water after the call? did you throw the contaminated pen out after he touched it?

don't lose sleep over it, i'm sure you are fine. if you are that worried, go see your doctor.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Do. not. feed. the. troll.

There's no way.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You stated, "his skin touched mines..."

If you are legit, trust me... you had MRSA wayyy before that.