IEMS interview

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I'm very excited to have received a call today that I passed the written test portion of the interview process for the IEMS... and onto the skills/scenario portion on Wed.

Any advice? Particular things to watch out for or be careful of?

About 100 people showed up for the two written testing sessions, we were told about half would be selected to go to the skills portion. So I'm happy I was asked to continue.. We were told they were looking for about 15 people for their next class.

OP
OP
A

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
No, I did my skills at 0930 last Wednesday morning, and was told we'd hear something "towards the end of next week". I've been watching my phone (it hasn't moved all day, haha) but am not really expecting anything til Wednesday-ish at the earliest.

My fingers and toes are crossed. I think my lack of real-world experience showed, but I don't think I didn't anything massively BAD or wrong.. I hope..

SamShel

Forum Probie
same

I had my skills test Wednesday as well and if it makes you feel any better ii have a little bit of experience on the street. The skill was simple, but I felt they made the scenario confusing. Not to sure why they would want to do that considering you have to attend an academy anyway. Well good luck and if you get a call please post.

SamShel

Forum Probie
Forgot to mention it confused me a bit too and I didn't feel very sharp in there either. The written however was pretty straight forward.

OP
OP
A

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I totally agree!! And thank you for posting, I feel a little less dumb now.. I walked away thinking, "Well, I did my best, and I know my lack of experience showed (I just got my EMT cert from Ivy Tech Lawrence this past spring semester), but I hope I didn't screw up too bad." I just felt DUMB walking out like I was a total moron.

The written was straight forward, and I left that test thinking, "I know I didn't do awful, I just hope I did good enough to move on." There weren't any "trick" questions or anything.

Which session did you go to? I was at the Saturday morning session.

SamShel

Forum Probie
I attended the weekday exam in the evening. I would say about 20-25 peole showed up for it. And while I was sitting waiting for the scenario about 6 people came and went. Not sure on their opinions though. The proctors I had asked some no so BLS questions and were not super straight forward with info. My patient had a headache and high bp so I treated as I thought he presented. I still felt as if I missed something...

OP
OP
A

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I got a call at 10:17 this morning to schedule the in-person panel interview. I was SHOCKED. I seriously doubted that I'd be moving on... But hey I'll take it!! I go in on the morning of Sept 11th!

SamShel

Forum Probie
Did they mention how many people moved in to interview process? Or if they ranked the candidates in any specific order?

OP
OP
A

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I desperately wanted to ask how many people were going to be invited to the in-person interviews, but I didn't because I just didn't think it was good etiquette. I'm probably being too cautions & paranoid but I didn't think it was my place to ask...

I am VERY curious what the numbers are though!

SamShel

Forum Probie
That's totally understandable and probably the most appropriate thing to not to do. Well good luck and maybe I will see you around.

SamShel

Forum Probie
Had to turn in my driving record today as per request by the department. I have an out of state license currently and I assume that they were not able to access my record in Indiana. Anyone else??

OP
OP
A

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
That's a good sign, that they care enough to ask for that!

I haven't been asked for any additional documentation, but I've had an Indiana driver's license since 2005.

SamShel

Forum Probie
It made feel better knowing they wanted to see it. Any ideas on what type of questions you are going to study for??

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
Five people shot last night in Indy. Up to date on your penetrating trauma procedures? :)

OP
OP
A

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Will there be more EMS-specific questions at the interview? Or will it be more of an HR, getting-to-know-you thing?

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
I imagine there would be both. Probably looking at your problem solving, conflict resolution skills.