Ick factors

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Proper thing to do is cut the pilot balloon tubing.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
cath insertion, in my opinion of course, is really not that bad. Granted, every situation is different, but I really feel its relatively easy. I've only dropped five or so, 3 female, 2 male. Taken out well over 20, and that can be nasty. One time the balloon wouldn't deflate(back in school) so myself and instructor actually had to put some lubricant instead the woman and pull it out...

That sounds severely painful...

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah I shudder thinking of what you did to that poor patient.

WoodyPN

Forum Crew Member
How did lubrication help it get past the fact that it's physically sitting inside the bladder with a balloon to keep it in place?

It still wasn't easy. But it was either that, or pull it out with no lubricant. One way or another, it had to come out. There was a meeting of the charge nurses/DON etc, and thats the solution that was came up with. I can imagine that it indeed was very painful, and I make no excuses for that, however, pt was heavily medicated.

As for cutting the tubing, we did. Did not work. Whether the right thing to do was pull it out, or send to ER, sure thats debatable.

Couple other examples: http://www.patientsville.com/medical-device/foley-catheter-bard-quality.htm

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Yeah I shudder thinking of what you did to that poor patient.

Back in the stone age at the beginning of my medical run when I'm sure the materials were different and probably more deadly, on two different occasions while tending to floor nursing aid work I snagged foley lines (both female) with my foot and here's what happened.

"POP!!!"

These are "pops" never to be forgotten, always dreaded since and, thankfully, never to have been repeated.

That was it; no harm, no foul; the patients apparently didn't feel a thing it happened so fast. No lube either! I doubt this will make it into your procedure manuals, but there it is.

your friendly firetender -- always seeking to increase medical knowledge through horrid experience!

EMS Patient Care Advocate

Forum Lieutenant
[*]Pt who had a malfunctioning colostomy and ended up vomiting feces. Probably the absolute worst. Like I said, I can do vomit, and I can (usually) even handle a code brown. But when you're vomiting a code brown, even I have to take a step back.
[/LIST][/QUOTE]

I understand this is career changing.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
[*]Pt who had a malfunctioning colostomy and ended up vomiting feces. Probably the absolute worst. Like I said, I can do vomit, and I can (usually) even handle a code brown. But when you're vomiting a code brown, even I have to take a step back.
[/LIST]

I understand this is career changing.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have the seniority to make someone else deal with it. *looks over at the captain's bars off of his old uniform* :p

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't like poop, plain and simple.

I think being in college helps me deal with vomiting, I've been puked on enough that it doesn't really bother me too much anymore. The "coffee grounds" vomit is pretty nasty when you see it for the first time though.

mediKate

Forum Probie
The *warm sensation* of someone ELSE'S trickle running down into my boot...:wacko:

(poorly placed foot during a stand assist)

YUCK!!!