I ran over a rabbit

Orion619

Forum Probie
On my way home, it's midnight and the road is dark and empty(or so I thought). I see a tiny stationary spec up ahead.. about 1-2 seconds later, I realized I was about to hit a bunny. I swerved hard to the left but the damn thing sprinted towards my trajectory and *thud*

"I couldn't have ran over it, maybe it hit my bumper and bounced off" I say. I turn the car around and saw the helpless thing trying to move about, it's still alive while part of its body is crushed.. :sad:

I slowly drove off, and didn't want to take another peek. I can't give the damn thing a c-spine or perform ABCs or call 911 nor do I have a shovel and end it's suffering immediately. I took care of 2 rabbits not too long ago for several months. I just can't help but feel bad about it.

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
You should have just backed up and over him therefore finishing him off. Sounds terrible but it's better than suffering. The police shoot the deer that are still alive after being hit, it's all you can do.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Omg poor bunny!

I hit a racoon once... It was killed instantly but that thing was left in the road for like two weeks, so I could feel guilty about taking a mommy raccoon away from it's raccoon babies everytime I went to or from work!

chadwick

Forum Crew Member
I hate to hit animals, there are a few people I would like to plow into every so often. I hit a rabbit about a year ago. We had to blow the air horn at a bunch of kittens tonight on a rural road. What scares me is how many deer seem to commit suicide by ambulance around here. My partner and I were close enough to one that I could have stuck my hand out the window and slapped some sense into it. :p

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
last shift, we hit a bunny, a bird and a 2 1/2 foot rattlesnake... I've been calling my partner the great white hunter ever since.:p

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
You should have backed up and ran over it a few more time, to end it's pain. Better than just leaving it in the road in pain, in my opinion.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm going to combine the subject of the thread with the point of this forum.

I hit a seagul before. With the ambulance. Going lights and siren. It flew right into the box above the cab, knocked out a chunk of the light bar. Then it landed in the gulf between the windshield and the wiper blades.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to combine the subject of the thread with the point of this forum

Well this is the "EMS Lounge". "Sit back, relax, and start up discussion with fellow medics." So, pretty much anything goes in here. It doesn't have to be all EMS, all the time.

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
One of the ambulances at the company I work for was hit by deer. The deer jumped right into the side of the ambulance on a highway. The deer did not do to well.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
You should have just backed up and over him therefore finishing him off. Sounds terrible but it's better than suffering. The police shoot the deer that are still alive after being hit, it's all you can do.

The police around my area won't. Whenever they fire their weapon they have to file a report. That means more paperwork for them.:rolleyes:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
The police around my area won't. Whenever they fire their weapon they have to file a report. That means more paperwork for them.:rolleyes:

Up north (northern Michigan) people will just stop, pull out their rifle and kill them, then just keep on going.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Why didn't you go back wring its neck and take it home and chicken fry it? Rabbit tastes better than chicken.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
First off NEVER SWERVE! If you cant avoid from hitting an animal safely especially a small animal just run it over. Its not worth the risk. It is alot better than you swerving to avoid the animal and driving straight into a tree, ditch or another vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
When I first came on shift at my current job, I was driving the ambulance, headed to training. A large dog (think lab sized, maybe a little bit bigger) ran out in front of me. It was a two lane road, and there was oncoming traffic. Not a darn thing I could do. Needless to say, I got him with all three tires on the passenger's side of the truck. To make matters worse, a few months prior to that the dog's owner had his house burn down.

He did get a new dog; he now has part of his yard fenced; and he doesn't let the new dog out off of a leash. I felt horrible about it. When we finally did arrive at training I was greeted with barking. For lunch that day we had hot dogs. Sometimes you just gotta love firefighters...

Chelle

Forum Crew Member
First off NEVER SWERVE! If you cant avoid from hitting an animal safely especially a small animal just run it over. Its not worth the risk. It is alot better than you swerving to avoid the animal and driving straight into a tree, ditch or another vehicle.

Thank you. I tell my kids this all the time.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant

Our insurance agent told us that we should never swerve. If we do and hit something then the deductable kicks in because it falls under collision instead of some other coverage.

rmellish

Forum Captain
I'm going to combine the subject of the thread with the point of this forum.

I hit a seagul before. With the ambulance. Going lights and siren. It flew right into the box above the cab, knocked out a chunk of the light bar. Then it landed in the gulf between the windshield and the wiper blades.

minus the damage, I can do you one slightly better. I hit a bat one night running emergent. Got stuck on the windshield wiper all the way to scene...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The area I grew up in, almost every volunteer FF had a gun in their vehicle (hunters and/or just plain rednecks). Normally one of them would do it because they did not have to file a report. There never seemed to be a problem over this except when more than one of them wanted the deer in question.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I am sort of infamous in some circles here for picking up an injured turkey and taking it back to my parents' house to recuperate. Suffice to say that I would leave some people laying in the middle of the road suffering before I would leave an animal in the same situation. There were photos of this (and of the turkey, wrapped in my raincoat and seatbelted into the backseat of our car) courtesy of my girlfriend at the time. When my medical director heard about this he bestowed upon me a certificate conferring my first fellow status.

Sincerely,

Stephen XXXXXXXXXXX, CRT, FAAEtM*

*- Fellow, American Academy of Emerge-turkey Medicine

reaper

Working Bum
Best advice I received as a kid.

If it is smaller then a cow, run it over!

Too many accidents caused by people swerving to avoid a rabbit or squirrel!