I promised a hard scenario, consider it delivered.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Scenario

Dispatch/scene information:
You are called to an upper middle class residence for a 15 year old female feeling “sick for a couple of days.” Upon Arrival you are greeted at the door by the patient’s mother who claims her daughter has been feeling ill and spent the last few days in bed and is now difficult to arouse. On your way into the residence you notice a stack of bills on a bureau, a lack of furnishings and very limited amount of electronic devices. The dwelling is clean but the occasional damage to the drywall has not been repaired.

You make your way up the stairs to a second floor bedroom where you notice a 15 year old female wrapped tightly in blankets despite the 85F temperature outside. You next remove the blanket to start your assessment. The female is wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt, she does not appear to be sweating, though she is pale in the face and has multiple purpuric lesions on her arms. While you expose her and perform a physical exam, your partner (a brand new, 1st call ever, provider of the lowest level allowed in your country. This one is all about you) gathers a history.

Vital signs:
Heart rate: 110 regular, central pulses present and weak. Distal pulses absent.
BP: 80/60
Respiratory rate is 24/min and shallow
Temperature is 40C rectal.
Capilary blood glucose: 60
Weight is 47kg height 5’5”
Sinus tachycardia with occasional (<6 minute) PVCs that do not generate a palpable pulse wave.
Spo2: 89 on room air
ETCO2: 30
GCS: E4 V4 M5

Physical exam:
Hair is oily and matted, skin is pale and cool to the touch, nothing noted about the ears. Pupils are dilated and sluggish. Sclera has diffuse blood throughout, mucous membranes are dry, slight bleeding from the gum line, face and head is otherwise symmetrical with no obvious deformity or masses upon palpation. Trachea is midline without shift, JVD is noted and skin is also pale on the face/neck. Thyroid and lymph nodes are not enlarged carotid pulse is present and weak

Exposing her chest you observe multiple purpuric regions (>2cm in diameter), breathing is shallow and rapid at a rate of about 24/minute, breasts appear at stage 5 development. Breath sounds are diminished with crackles in the bases, Heart tones exhibit a gallop and sound distant. Apex of the heart is at the normal level, lungs also within normal topographic parameters. Back has similar purpura legions. Skin is cool to the touch.

The abdomen appears similar to the chest, however it is slightly distended, locally warm to the touch in the lower quadrants, involuntary muscle guarding is noted on palpation, you decide not to auscultate bowel sounds, liver in 2cm beneath normal margin, spleen not palpable. Diffuse echimosis in the gluteal region, constant trickling bloody discharge from the vagina, and subcutaneous emphysema in the mons pubis area .

There appears no indication of external trauma with an exhaustive exam.

Arms and legs are also cool to the touch, difuse purpura throughout. Capillary refill at +4. Femoral pulse is present and weak, distal pulses absent in all extremities.

History: Your partner (who is an exceptionally capable historian for a person green as grass) tells you the mother is extremely worried about the cost of all of this as they recently lost their health coverage. But he elicits:

Mother noticed her daughter had been sick the last few weeks with nausea and vomiting and warm to the touch. The girl continued to go to school despite the illness. She came home after hanging out with friends like usual 2 nights ago complaining of abdominal pain and went to her room. Next day pt told her mother she was too sick to go to school, was not hungry, but was drinking water and tea, vomiting had stopped. This morning mom came to check on the girl, who complained of epigastric pain. PT had spit up some gross red blood and then mom called 911. (aka: you)

The patient has been taking “femrelief” for menstrual cramps as needed for years, the dose of Nyquil on the bottle for the last 3-4 days and has no known allergies medical or otherwise. You notice no drug paraphernalia with a quick cursory search and no street drugs. You also do not notice track marks or venipuncture sites on the pt.

The mother reports the female does not have a boyfriend, is not sexually active, started menstruating at age 10 and was not regular, LMP unknown. No history of pregnancy, miscarriage or abortion.

The mother also reports that the patient uses no alcohol and does not smoke. You do not find anything in the environment that contradicts this information.

The patient has not been eating the last few days but has been drinking a lot of fluids. The mother does not know about urination or defecation habits or frequency.

The Mother also reports the girl is a straight A student and is a starter on the high school volleyball and track teams, plays in the band and sings in the choir. (since 3rd grade.)

You are working in the US, but operate under your normal protocols or standard of care. So what are your thoughts and orders Captain? Your nearest hospital is a community hospital 10 minutes away. A major academic medical center is 30 minutes away. Anyone of 10 airmed providers are at your beck and call and frequently hand out pens and other marketing items but it will take them 40 minutes to respond at best. You have anything you normally have on your responding unit. You can ask for any clarifications, repeat findings, more detailed findings, or the effect of your interventions. The only ambiguity in the scenario is what you do but I will do my best to respond accordingly and consistantly.

Hints to make your head hurt:
In this scenario there are 5 life threatening pathologies, some secondary to others.
All of the pathologies are readily identifiable by the information given except for the common primary pathology which is alluded to and can be reverse engineered from finding the others.

PS. This is also my original work and not to be distributed without permission, which you have as long as you make no money from it and proper credit is given. 04/25/2010

This scenario is hypothetical and bears no relationship to any person known or unknown by the author.

8jimi8

CFRN
well... i don't have time to reply to this.

my initial wild stab in the dark.... (even though it seems you contradicted this with one of your later statements about the pt not being sexually active...)

anyway... initial thoughts went out to Peritonitis and Septic shock 2nd vaginal/uterine puncture (from her secret abortion) and DIC.

I'll come back to this... I just finished my work week at 9am this morning and i should not be awake right now.

I just wanted to post up those thoughts before everyone bloodied the water!

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Honestly.. sounds like Scurvy to me brought on by poor teenage nutrition.. which is more common than you think these days.. the poor nutrition, not the scurvy.

Id alert the closer hospital, start all ALS measures, give fluids, and get her to the ER for blood work to confirm the suspected diagnosis

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
It sounds like she may have a large cell vasculitis.

Takayasu's Arteritis occurs most often in teenage girls, and would account for a large portion of her symptoms.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Takayasu's Arteritis would also account for blood in the sclera.

What is this patients ethnicity?

any associated joint pain?

diplopia?

exactly how was she feeling sick for a few days?

Actually Takayasu's Arteritis fits less than i originally thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
There is no large cell vasculitis nor takayasu’s.

The patient is a native born US Caucasian

Her GCS is 9 v4=confused she does not appropriately answer your questions. Her mother reports she only complained of nausea and vomiting prior to getting too sick to go to school. (go with “no” on the joint pain)

Diplopia is not assessable

Mother reports feeling sick as: nausea and vomiting prior to being “too sick to go to school today”

Prolonged clotting time for sure. It appears infinite.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
There is no large cell vasculitis nor takayasu’s.

The patient is a native born US Caucasian

Her GCS is 9 v4=confused she does not appropriately answer your questions. Her mother reports she only complained of nausea and vomiting prior to getting too sick to go to school. (go with “no” on the joint pain)

Diplopia is not assessable

Mother reports feeling sick as: nausea and vomiting prior to being “too sick to go to school today”

Prolonged clotting time for sure. It appears infinite.

past medical history?

Is the patient anemic?

Von Willebrands?

is there any peripheral edema?

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
past medical history?

Is the patient anemic?

Von Willebrands?

is there any peripheral edema?

I accidentally deleted the line about past medical history when editing...
sorry.

There is no prior medical history.

The girl was born at term, without inducing, from a planned pregnancy with proper preconception and prenatal care. She has had a healthy childhood, meets all developmental benchmarks, has a yearly sports physical, and all vaccinations.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura secondary to a viral infection.

I considered Hep C, but with the given information, does not seem likely.

Am thinking the patient may also have ARF secondary to whatever the underlying condition may be.

May also have DIC as a secondary disorder as well.

The patient may also have a cardiac tamponade, as she meets criteria for becks triad, though JVD should be a normal variant while supine.

Does a hepatojugular reflux test show a deviation of 4cm or more?

Can you clarify what
liver in 2cm beneath normal margin
means?

Are you advising the liver is distended, protruding 2cm lower than normal?

or the liver is displaced 2cm inferiorly?

I apologize for the random presentation of my thoughts...

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Am thinking the patient may also have ARF secondary to whatever the underlying condition may be.

Not yet, but if somebody doesn't figure out what to do for her she will.

May also have DIC as a secondary disorder as well..

For certain. But what is the mechanism? (that will seperate the men from the boys so to speak)

Does a hepatojugular reflux test show a deviation of 4cm or more?

That test is non specific, but I will throw you a bone and say there is an acute pathology causing right heart insufficency.

Can you clarify what means?

Are you advising the liver is distended, protruding 2cm lower than normal?

yes

or the liver is displaced 2cm inferiorly?

no

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
what region of the US are we in?

are oslers nodes present?

when you said the spleen can not be palpated, is their evidence of a splenectomy?

history of possible tick bite exposure?

Meningococcemia seems a likely possibility given the non specific onset of symptoms.

maybe what i originally interpreted as becks triad and deduced as cardiac tamponade is actually endocarditis?

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
what region of the US are we in??

Doesn't matter. Could happen anywhere.

are oslers nodes present?

No

when you said the spleen can not be palpated, is their evidence of a splenectomy?

No splenectomy, I was trying to demonstrate it was not enlarged.

history of possible tick bite exposure??

Always possible, but you find no evidence of it. No punctures with inflammation or tics.

Meningococcemia seems a likely possibility given the non specific onset of symptoms.

possibly but the patient will die before that.

maybe what i originally interpreted as becks triad and deduced as cardiac tamponade is actually endocarditis?

There is ample evidence of bleeding into the pericardium.

is the mother showing any signs or symptoms??

no, nor is the father or brother.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
So far only one of my classmates has figured it out :)

Where are you transporting to? Is this a medical or surgical emergency?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
well if no one else in the house is displyaing signs or symptoms, i think i can rule out most viral causes.

acute pancreatitis resulting in DIC?

am also contemplating RMSV vs human ehrlichiosis, seems the differentiating factor would be purpural involvment in the palms and soles.

bacteremia of some origin?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
well if no one else in the house is displyaing signs or symptoms, i think i can rule out most viral causes.

acute pancreatitis resulting in DIC?

am also contemplating RMSV vs human ehrlichiosis, seems the differentiating factor would be purpural involvment in the palms and soles.

bacteremia of some origin?

would the absence of swollen lymph nodes rule out bacteremia as well?

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Sasha

Forum Chief
Oh LFL you are doing so well. I made Vene tell me the answers. :p