I Need Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic417

The Truth Provider

medic417

The Truth Provider
When you get paid basically minimum wage what do you expect? If I was making 25/hour, then I probably would be less thrilled with pranks, because the almost triple pay rate would make up for it.

And acting non professional will advance our pay rates how? Oh and we get $20 an hour here. But regardless even a volunteer agency while not professional should act professional. Do no harm to patients, self, partners, or the profession.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
And acting non professional will advance our pay rates how? Oh and we get $20 an hour here. But regardless even a volunteer agency while not professional should act professional. Do no harm to patients, self, partners, or the profession.

That would be a paramedic... EMT wages are not going to go up. That's like saying the kids working at mcdonalds can't have fun while working when they plan on moving up to a manager position... It's basically the same thing here. Nobody was harmed in the pranks, and most EMS I know carry a change of clothes.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief

There was no harm, no foul, to anyone, just irritation. Except for maybe the flat tire.

Sticky fingers were taken care of quickly with an alcohol prep, doors were cleaned after we dropped off our patient with lysol wipes, and they somehow managed not to walk around with KY stains on their pants.

The patient we had at the time our truck was attacked with goo found it pretty funny.

medic417

The Truth Provider
That would be a paramedic... EMT wages are not going to go up. That's like saying the kids working at mcdonalds can't have fun while working when they plan on moving up to a manager position... It's basically the same thing here. Nobody was harmed in the pranks, and most EMS I know carry a change of clothes.

People are harmed.

EMT's get $15/hr. But regardless of pay does not excuse non professional behavior.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
People are harmed.

EMT's get $15/hr. But regardless of pay does not excuse non professional behavior.

Please point out to me where people were harmed. I'm curious.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
People are harmed.

I would also like to see where someone was harmed...

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
hmm this thread escalated quickly.

I probably wouldn't have let out air of a tire, but some pranks are fun.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Please point out to me where people were harmed. I'm curious.

Time could cost cardiac muscle while you stand there trying to open door and clean hands, just one of many possibilities. Pranks can and do injure workers. If we are hurt we do no good for our patients. You can not say that just because some patient laughed that all unprofessional behavior is good. In fact the patient probably was thinking please don't let these idiot ambulance drivers harm me, maybe if I laugh they will leave me alone.

reaper

Working Bum
Did we pay our employer for the glucose and KY? You have just committed theft from your employer, so there was harm.

Keep the pranks to the stations, not if the public eye. Whether the pt thought it was funny or not, I am sure he was not thinking of you as a professional.

If you like pranks all day then join the FD. This is why there should be a maturity test developed for new hires!

I joke with co workers all day long. I do not pull pranks or waste medical supplies.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Time could cost cardiac muscle while you stand there trying to open door and clean hands, just one of many possibilities. Pranks can and do injure workers. If we are hurt we do no good for our patients. You can not say that just because some patient laughed that all unprofessional behavior is good. In fact the patient probably was thinking please don't let these idiot ambulance drivers harm me, maybe if I laugh they will leave me alone.

We were both BLS IFT. Our patient was going from hospital to nursing home. No cardiac muscle at risk unless a nurse and doctor seriously sucks at their job.

How do you know what the patient was thinking? You don't. She laughed. She asked "Didja get 'em good?". Yup. She wanted to be left alone, alright. That's why she engaged me in conversation the entire trip.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that you're calling names, I'm not discussing this with you anymore...

Bottom line is this: They DID go too far with the tires, the goopies, who cares? They can wipe it off en-route, they both had a patient they were either getting ride of or prepearing to transport.

medic417

The Truth Provider
We were both BLS IFT. Our patient was going from hospital to nursing home. No cardiac muscle at risk unless a nurse and doctor seriously sucks at their job.

How do you know what the patient was thinking? You don't. She laughed. She asked "Didja get 'em good?". Yup. She wanted to be left alone, alright. That's why she engaged me in conversation the entire trip.

Probably scared that if she let you think you might harm her with some prank.

Just because this time it did not harm that patient does not mean next time it want. The more you play the more likely harm occurs. And as someone else brought out you just committed theft. Also KY and glucose are listed as medicines so you just improperly used a medication contrary to protocol and thus could face loss of certification and even jail time.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
WOW, Im goin with medic on this one, Yea I've pulled a few at the office/off duty, But in the public eye/ With Pt./ NO WAY imagine what the ER DR. is going to think of my Pt. care reports when I need orders for some serious intervention,if he happens to look out there, No thank you.

medic417

The Truth Provider
WOW, Im goin with medic on this one, Yea I've pulled a few at the office/off duty, But in the public eye/ With Pt./ NO WAY imagine what the ER DR. is going to think of my Pt. care reports when I need orders for some serious intervention,if he happens to look out there, No thank you.

Good point I had not even thought of that kind of harm being done.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Yea that's the problem with a lot of things we do/say we don't think about it.

Also I want to say this is in no way a slander/attack against anyone including the OP just stating my opinion, I think EMS as a whole needs to come up a notch or 2.

BEorP

Forum Captain

So would you display this type of behaviour while working at 911 service?

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Probably scared that if she let you think you might harm her with some prank.

Just because this time it did not harm that patient does not mean next time it want. The more you play the more likely harm occurs. And as someone else brought out you just committed theft. Also KY and glucose are listed as medicines so you just improperly used a medication contrary to protocol and thus could face loss of certification and even jail time.

KY isn't a medication, and I seriously doubt anyone would lose their license of glucosing the door handles.

My patient wasn't scared. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.