I have to vent.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
It's 3:40am and I'm just getting to sleep so you know where this story is going to end up:

"Dispatch to 540 Start heading to Random Death Camp Code 3. Facility advises that the patient is experiencing, "Funny Vitals," advised patient is sating at 85% RR 44 putting it in as shortness of breath because we don't have anything in the cad for, "Funny Vitals,"

"1004 540 En route Code 3"

One 8 minute response later the problems began at the door. No one was there to meet us and the speaker went to an empty room or an empty brain (probably the later) so we were stuck outside for about 6 minutes until we were finally able to get inside.

I don't even get to the patients door and I can hear the fluid in his lungs. I turn the corner and he is Fowler with ashen moist skin breathing at exactly 44 times a minute confused and speaking in short halting sentences with a GCS of 13 and he is actively and continuously vomiting dark brown foul smelling emesis complaining of abdominal pain. The nurse says hes been like this since 8pm when he got on and he doesn't know what's wrong and its not normally his patient. The CNA advises this patient has been like this for the last 3 days (and in my experience the CNA's usually know more about the patients than the LPN's at these hell holes) and he hasn't been having bowel movements and suspects he is impacted.

I toss the pulse ox on him and he's sating at 84% via 2lpm NC. This guy's airway is totally compromised and he's unable to protect it but he's too alert for me to drop a Combi-tube and bagging him to help with the fluid is not even an option unless I want to force fecal matter down into his lungs. I can't even really put a NRB on the guy because of the volume of the vomit that's coming up. I crank the NC up to 6LPM and he goes to 91-93%.

This all happens in around 6 minutes. I throw him on my stretcher and grab a set of vitals in the unit: 130/90 HR 140 RR 44 92% on 6 LPM NC, CBG 351, Temp is 99.1 Axillary. Patient already has a port-a-cath in place and accessed and the hospital is literally about 6 blocks from where we are. I call report and roll over there with him vomiting the entire time. Total time with the patient including on-scene and transport is 12 minutes. The hospital suctioned out a full container of fecal matter from his stomach which resolved the vomiting but this guy still has aspiratory pneumonia.

How can you let a guy vomit up his own fecal matter for days before you call someone? What kind of sick cruel person neglects someone that badly for days? How are you so incompetent that all you can glean from a patient is that his vital signs are, "Funny?" I asked him (more diplomatically) at what point in the last 3 days of him doing this did you change your mind and think "This guy needs to go to the hospital!" What was it that clued you in? I got a blank look as a response. To call these facility nursing homes is a disrespect to the profession. These people should be jailed for their incompetence and neglect. They even had the gall to demand I take the patient to a facility 25 minutes away rather than the one with the 2 minute response time around the freakin' corner.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I know. Nursing homes suck. There's nothing you can do but treat the patient and call the abuse lines.

I had one on sunday that ticked me the heck off.. Can't let it get to you.

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
How are you so incompetent that all you can glean from a patient is that his vital signs are, "Funny?"

I'm convinced that if you look hard enough, there are various nursing licenses offered as the Prize in the Cereal Box.

Seriously though, fecal emesis for days is ridiculous. I can almost understand a few hours, but days? Poor guy. Do what you can to look into APS and the abuse lines where you are. Obviously that facility needs to fire all it's employees or shut down...

I know it's hard but try not to let it get you. You've still got more patients out there to fight for.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I get you. Those places suck, and its rare that they make a decision and act on it in less than an hour, which extends horrifically at times.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I get you. Those places suck, and its rare that they make a decision and act on it in less than an hour, which extends horrifically at times.

And when they do it's for a pulled out PEG tube, not the PEG tubes room mate who'se in respiratory distress with crushing chest pain!

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
There are incompetent people in every industry. It hurts all the more when you find these types in health care. As much as we'd like to, we can't crusade against all of them, so report them if you think necessary and provide the best care for your patient that you can. You may be the brightest spot in their lives at that moment... and they'll certainly appreciate it after receiving such lousy "care" from the staff.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Could have been esophageal varices.

mpena

Forum Probie
Well if I was put in your shoes, I, as a healthcare professional, would contact the appropriate authorities, such as a state level agency and report the situation and your concern for possible neglect. Your information would be just as credible as anyone elses and I would not be bothered to do so. You can be a voice for the patient and also for anyone else under they're care whose care is below beneficial. I would step up and try and get some light shed on the situation and someone to look into how that problem was overlooked. That's what I would do anyways...these nursing services are getting away with murder just cause to them it's just a job, not a quality of life for the patients.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Desensitization

There's something that happens to a lot of people who enter Nursing Homes; they lose their wills to live, yet, their bodies will not die. The people who are in charge of their care are usually overloaded with "bodies" which, in order to keep up with the work load, must completely divorce themselves from feelings of empathy.

I've worked in such places, my medical career of 16 years started there. I find no excuse for the neglect that you were called upon to somehow counteract, yet, have to say it is pervasive in the industry, for that's exactly what it is, an industry where bodies are the cogs in the wheel and the directive is keep them under control until you can't.

You're right, this is Custodial Care, NOT Nursing. And it's gonna get worse with the upcoming circling the drain of my generation, the Baby Boomers.

God help me and you both, and thanks for doing your best!!