I forgot what an abbreviation means (CPR help?)

Fahnrich

Forum Probie
I'm studying for a CPR quiz and twice in my handbook LOC came up and I can't for the life of me remember what it means. I feel really stupid right now since I should know. But this is why I'm studying right?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Depending on the context:

Level of Consciousness
Loss of Consciousness

OP
OP
F

Fahnrich

Forum Probie
Changes in the LOC. I'm wanting to say Look of Color right now. But I'm not too sure so I wanted to double check since the book gives no definition. It could be Level of Consiousness since that sounds about right with the context too

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Changes in the LOC. I'm wanting to say Look of Color right now. But I'm not too sure so I wanted to double check since the book gives no definition. It could be Level of Consiousness since that sounds about right with the context too
No, it's level of consciousness. If they go from being alert to only responding to painful stimuli, or completely unresponsive, then you have a problem.

Details.

OP
OP
F

Fahnrich

Forum Probie
No, it's level of consciousness. If they go from being alert to only responding to painful stimuli, or completely unresponsive, then you have a problem.

Details.

Thank you! I was looking through the book wondering why they skipped straight to the abbreviation.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
LOC will most commonly be Level of Consciousness (as it is in your scenario).

When it relates to Loss instead of Level, you may see it as "Patient sustained fall from ladder, striking head. Pt had -LOC (no loss of consciousness) after fall." Something to that effect.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yeah, what MMiz said... Lol

OP
OP
F

Fahnrich

Forum Probie

When it relates to Loss instead of Level, you may see it as "Patient sustained fall from ladder, striking head. Pt had -LOC (no loss of consciousness) after fall." Something to that effect.

Thank you for the description. I'm writing that into my notes so that I remember it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader

You have the most correct answer. It depends on the context.

In my reports I was required to write, "PT REPORTS NO LOC." When in doubt, spell it out.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
In my reports I was required to write, "PT REPORTS NO LOC.".

I always got a kick out of that requirement. How reliable is a patient that you may suspect had a head injury. Most I've seen that have sustained a +LOC (see what I did there, OP ;) ) don't even realize they went unconscious.

OP
OP
F

Fahnrich

Forum Probie
Lol I see what you did there. But yeah I totally get what you mean though on questioning how reliable a patient is with a suspected head injury.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

What would "Look of Color" mean, anyway?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere