I did apply for an ED tech job, fancying name for Nursing Assistant, It said you had

tgpii

Forum Probie
I did apply for an ED tech job, fancying name for Nursing Assistant, It said you had to be CNA or EMT-B I did not know an EMT-B could Nursing Assistant. Anyone knows other then the name whets the difference between emt-B and CNA? I am a Combat medic in the Army National Guard, part of are training is we earn are EMT-B. Would a Nursing Assistant make more then say an EMT-B at a private ambulance company (I had an ambulance offer I could make more at Wal-Mart) If this is in the wrong forum sorry, please let me know and or move it to the correct spot. As an EMT-B I really can't do much, but working as a army medic I can do more.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
EMTs and CNAs are not the same thing. Becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant takes about semester of 6 credit hours in addition to clinicals at my local community college.

CNAs focus on assisting in a patient's ADLs... activities of daily living. This includes washing, ambulation, hygiene, dental care, eating, going to the bathroom, etc. The additional tasks that they perform will depend the type of setting (ED vs. nursing home vs. hospital floor) and who they're working under (their tasks are delegated by nurses).

In my area most of the ED techs are just EMTs, almost always with IV approval and usually with additional skills such as phlebotomy, wound care, 12-lead EKG, catheter placement, and ED triage. I know that other areas have more CNA techs than EMT techs. In general, the tasks they work on in the ED will be similar if not identical.

A CNA or EMT working in an ED will earn more than an EMT on a private ambulance. Techs in my area start at about $13 an hour.

Airway Junkie

Forum Probie
I've never heard of a CNA working in an ED.

OP
OP
T

tgpii

Forum Probie
I am a 68w/combat medic in the Army National Guard. We have to keep an EMT-B. Under the army we can do more then an EMT-B(you can sue the army/uncle sam) I once got offered a job at an ambulance place for 10 bucks and hours. I was like 10 bucks to work overnights and weekends? A few guys in my unit work for one of the bigger chains he said its easy you make 9 an hour and a I think 5 bucks per call. I have my EMT-B would a CNA be worth it to me to get? How ever this is what the job ad: says/said.
ED Technician
Job Category: Nursing

Specialty: Nursing Assistant

Minimum Qualifications: 46009E-High school grad or equivalent. CNA certificate w/State of IL or EMT-B, current AHA CPR, phlebotomy skills required. Previous emergency department experience preferred. (HOW CAN AN EMT-B DO A CNA JOB?)

Shift: 7a-3:30p

Entity Department: Emergency Room

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not a CNA job. They're just looking for people who are either CNAs or EMTs, either certification will work. Also notice that they require phlebotomy - around here the course is 12 weeks long with 120 hours of clinicals.

The FT/72 thing means that it's a full time job with about 72 hours a week.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hahaha you're right. No wonder it was so high. Places around here usually list hours per week.

Airway Junkie

Forum Probie
It's not a CNA job. They're just looking for people who are either CNAs or EMTs, either certification will work. Also notice that they require phlebotomy - around here the course is 12 weeks long with 120 hours of clinicals.

The FT/72 thing means that it's a full time job with about 72 hours a week.

I understand, but a CNA's training is much different from that of an EMT's training.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I understand, but a CNA's training is much different from that of an EMT's training.

I guess the real question is why do they allow basics in lieu of CNAs? ER techs are essentially going to be doing what they are told to do and not assessing and treating patients on their own. It's not exactly something that a 110 hour advanced first aid class (better known as EMT-Basic) prepares a person to do.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It says full time. Wouldn't that be 80 hours for 2 weeks? How is 72 full time?

In some states, anything over 32 hours per week is considered full time.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
72 hours biweekly: This is probably 3 - 12 hour shifts per week. That is considered full time and is usually what the licensed professionals work.

CNA vs EMT: CNAs are more comfortable with the culture and procedures of the hospital environment. They also know what the nurses expect and how to ready a patient for many procedures and admission. In other words, the day to day life and expections within the hospital walls for patient care. They may already have been doing expanded duties like phlebotomy and EKGs if the hospital recognizes that or PCT is an option for them which is about 500 - 700 hours of additional training. Since CNAs are also used as "sitters" for psych holds and observation patients, they are familiar with restraint protocols. If CNAs are floated to various units such as the psych or OB wing, they have additional training there also to deal with special needs patients. CNAs can also be more familiar with moving patients with tubes(trachs and ETTs), lines and foleys. CNAs are also very well trained in infection control. That seems to still be an area lacking in EMT training.

EMTs can be trained to do all of the above but the "We did it like this in the field" attitude usually can make them very unpopular in the hospital setting. If you want to learn the culture of your work environment and not try to bring the "ambulance" view into the ED, you'll be fine. Hospitals are also very supportive of education with many short CEU classes and tuition assistance for college.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
It's true that a CNA's training clicks with the hospital setting much better than an EMT's, but that doesn't mean an EMT can be trained to work in a hospital setting.

The level of training provided in either course alone, CNA or EMT, will not prepare you to work as a tech in the ED. Either course will give you a strong foundation to build upon, but the learning curve is going to be pretty steep whether you're a CNA or EMT. The ED staff will spend a lot of time babysitting you and teaching you the skills you need to be a tech before they let you loose and give you their trust.

The problem is that there is no course that teaches all the skills an ED tech needs. A CNA's training focuses on long term inpatient care and ADLs, while an EMT's training focuses on basic assessment, first aid, and basic prehospital care. Obviously neither of these focuses match the job requirements of a tech perfectly, but with additional training and time their skills can be adapted and built upon.

There are excellent techs out there that are just EMTs. In all honestly, however, the most skilled, professional, and trustworthy tech I've encountered was both an EMT, CNA and nursing student with phlebotomy, IV approval and over 15 years of experience as a tech.

Zanerd

Forum Probie
Techs in my area are regulated to EMT-B type of restrictions, even though many medics work the position. So no IV's, drug administrating stuff of that nature but with the addition of on the job training of catheters and minor prepping for Doc's.

ED Techs are low on the totem pole but an important part of the ER Team.
Around here, pay is substantially higher than Private Ambulance companies.

The position you posted seems to be more CNA oriented than EMT, but try to get the position and see if you like it.

GOOD LUCK!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In my area, the er tech position is sort of a ward clerk that may be asked to do some small amounts of pt care. They primarily assist with triage and act as a liason between the nursing staff and the EMS agencies.

The primary skill needed for our ERTs is computer literacy, the ability to deal with sick/hurt people, preparing admission info on those who come in the back door in an ambulance, and generally doing what they are told to do. There is one who is a CNA but the rest are either EMTs or Nursing students.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The EMT is usually not a recognized certification within the walls of a hospital. It is written specifically as PREHOSPITAL in the statutes of many states. It is actually better that way so that the EMTs can be trained to do phlebotomy and EKGs or whatever else the job calls for without worrying about their prehospital limitations. The hospital will write their job description and scope. They can also train to be ortho and/or OR technicians. There is a lot of opportunity inside of a hospital if they don't focus just on what "an EMT-B" can do.

They may be on the low end of the totem pole, but if you are good, you will be noticed especially when you aren't around. If you are bad, they will have no problem kicking you to the curb. If you have an open mind and are willing to adjust to the hospital environment, you'll do very well.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess the real question is why do they allow basics in lieu of CNAs? ER techs are essentially going to be doing what they are told to do and not assessing and treating patients on their own. It's not exactly something that a 110 hour advanced first aid class (better known as EMT-Basic) prepares a person to do.

Whoa. ED tech is usually splinting, triaging, running EKGs, taking vitals, bagging a patient, etc. A CNA is trained to help wash a patient, change a bed, clean up, and maybe take vital signs. A CNA should not be handling emergency patients. A EMERGENCY MEDICAL tech should, as they are already trained in splinting, CPR, lead placement for EKG, taking vital signs, bagging a patient, etc. They may have piss poor education, but at least they are competent in the basic duties a ED tech needs to be. I doubt a CNA could recognise cardiac arrest, actually, I have been on a few calls where the CNA told me the patient was "not waking up". Ends up to be a full code.

I cant wrap my head around your reasoning here, maybe you should help me out?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Whoa. ED tech is usually splinting, triaging, running EKGs, taking vitals, bagging a patient, etc. A CNA is trained to help wash a patient, change a bed, clean up, and maybe take vital signs. A CNA should not be handling emergency patients. A EMERGENCY MEDICAL tech should, as they are already trained in splinting, CPR, lead placement for EKG, taking vital signs, bagging a patient, etc. They may have piss poor education, but at least they are competent in the basic duties a ED tech needs to be.

Strange, the hospital I volunteered at had CNAs taking V/S (machine, but NIBP was used in the emergency care unit as well as on the floors), hooking up patients to cardiac monitors (something that isn't standard in EMT-B class to begin with (ignoring the fact that I don't think I've seen 5-leads used prehospital for continuous monitoring instead of 3 lead, as well you can train just about any monkey to put little sticky pads on the proper location on a body), nor really all that complicated to begin with), PPV was generally done by an RN or RT, CPR was done by just about anyone who was CPR certified (including the college volunteers who weren't EMT-Bs) and I seriously doubt that an EMT-B will be triaging solo. Which comes first, the abd pain or the fever? Not exactly a question that a 110 hour course helps to provide the answer for.

So, wow, splinting. A skill that is taught to middle school boy scouts. I'm sure that CNAs can't be trained at all to do that. :rolleyes:

I doubt a CNA could recognise cardiac arrest, actually, I have been on a few calls where the CNA told me the patient was "not waking up". Ends up to be a full code.
1794589537_cc09003dc8.jpg

I know, since I've had plenty of "Why the hell are you not calling 911?" nursing home calls, lets just do away with all RNs and LVNs in SNFs! After all, we might even be able to find some volunteer EMT-Bs to save cost (call light is tied to a pager so that they can respond from home/work/school). Ain't logical fallacies fun and useful?