How was your EMT program?

EMS25

Forum Crew Member
I took my class in a community college. My instructor was really bad. I honestly didn't learn much from him.
Thank God I have a friend who is a medic and an instructor and he taught me a lot . I passed the NREMT the first time, but friends who where in the same class didn't. I finished my EMT class about two years ago and the same instructor is still teaching the class. The school has a great medic program but I am very disappointed by the EMT course.
I am interested in the quality of your class.
How was your teacher?
Where you satisfied with your program?

emtzach03

Forum Probie
i agree the class i took was by an older man ed lessy, great guy but i learned more about scuba diving than ems. he covered everything he was supposed to but i had to learn alot on my own. ive said it befor but im glad i worked for AMR it gave me a chance to get really good at vitals and assesments in the bus. i was able to recognize medicals better because of the transports and conversations with the old or sick. But thats what con ed is for i guess

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Many years ago.

It was through Metropolitan Community College in Omaha, but the instructors were a paramedic working for the largest ER in the area (Creighton/St Joseph's) and a crewchief with a rural squad just north of town, both experienced and willing to get pragmatic alongside the material in the SECOND edition of "Emergency Care of the Sick and Injured" (orange book).

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
I took mine through NCTI, though it was taught by AMR employees at an AMR base. I have absolutely no complaints, I took an accelerated 3 month course over the summer when I came back from school and had a lot of fun! I would highly recommend the NCTI basic program.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Mine was pretty good. It lasted about four months, with a few instructors. One was terribly boring and occasionally really confusing, but the rest were great. All were very helpful and supportive. It was a very good program, and I think it prepared me well.

I sometimes wish I'd taken it at another place I sometimes work with, though. They have basic students do a lot more ridealongs and emergency room shifts than actually required. Once they get through beginner skills, the fake patients act as much like real patients as possible. The difference between their new graduates and my program's new graduates really shows in the field.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I took mine through NCTI, though it was taught by AMR employees at an AMR base. I have absolutely no complaints, I took an accelerated 3 month course over the summer when I came back from school and had a lot of fun! I would highly recommend the NCTI basic program.

That's because NCTI is owned by AMR.

I enjoyed my EMT just as I enjoy my medic, even though they are two different schools.

OP
OP
EMS25

EMS25

Forum Crew Member

I heard a lot of good things about this program. I just got information about their paramedic program in the mail. It looks very good.

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member
I took my class in a community college. My instructor was really bad. I honestly didn't learn much from him.
Thank God I have a friend who is a medic and an instructor and he taught me a lot . I passed the NREMT the first time, but friends who where in the same class didn't. I finished my EMT class about two years ago and the same instructor is still teaching the class. The school has a great medic program but I am very disappointed by the EMT course.
I am interested in the quality of your class.
How was your teacher?
Where you satisfied with your program?

Our class was pretty good, our instructor was very serious and determined to actually teach us not only how to pass the NREMT but also how to be EMT-Bs. Our instructor's assistants were all Paramedics and they knew their stuff.
Only thing that was really bothersome was the tests and how some of the questions were worded.