how to gracefully bow out of one vollie to join another

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
PLEASE DO NOT FLAME ME:

No judgements. I am not saying anyone is better or worse.

I will spare the board the details.

I am in a situation where I want to leave the vollie I started with for another.

How do I gracefully bow out to avoid slighting them and be able to be be on friendly terms with everyone when we cross paths again.

Not just EMTs, but I notice how some people hop around organizations easily without creating ill will, some are labled traitors, how can I be one of those people who does it gracefully and with ease ?

Any positive thoughts? Please?

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
Couple of thoughts on that. Easy way is if the second vollie unit is closer than the first. "Hey guys, gas/time/whatever is killing me getting here, I need to transfer to other vollie unit."

Second thought is the "My work here is done, time to move on. It is time for you all to contiune with what I've started. There is another unit that I think I could help out." Of course that only works if the other unit really could use help.

Third thought came up as I was typing this. Just tell em why you want to change units.

Good luck, and you are absolutely correct in saying feathers can get very ruffeled in situations like this.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
1) the other unit is farther away

One I am with, about a mile, other one two.

I would have joined them first, but, they will not take new people until Sept.

I asked about ride alongs, or cleaning restocking buses, obersving dispatch - NO GO.

The other one is far better funded, has far more people and more operational hours.

But I dont want to ruffle feathers.

The one i am with, has few people who can ride alone. Mostly noobies like me, many who drop out after a week, they come from different areas.

I really want to stay friendly with these people. With everyone everywhere actually.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Its volunteer its not your job. Just tell them you are no longer available to respond. No need for more.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
The other people who left, from different neighborhoods, I doubt they went to other place I want to go to.

And problem is, territories boarder each other, one guy in my current vollie was with them and left....I casually asked, he said they thought they were "The Best" and could not handle them, but admitted they have more $, facility, people, equipment, service hourse etc.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Maybe not all is hostility, I was surfing, both units are friends on myspace with each other.....

But profiles not touched since 2008.

No, I have never been on myspace.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, but when they inevitably find out I am with another service, they might label me a traitor.....

Yeah, it stinks, but people are going to think what they will. I doubt there's any one tactic that will change their minds. It may not bother them as much as you'd think, and if it is something that will, the way you leave probably won't matter that much as long as you're not a jerk about it.

I agree with Medic... no need to go in to too much detail. If asked, be honest about where you're going. Yes, there's a good chance they will eventually discover that you're volunteering elsewhere, but is it any worse for them to find out after you leave as opposed to prior? Meh... maybe... but probably not.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I have reflected on this in my life, paid jobs, volnuter jobs, friends, lovers, realtionships, family.

Some people can bow out of obligations and keep people from feeling slighted better than others.

Some people can leave a job, even to work for a competitor, and the boss wishes them well, while others say they want to leave for a different line of work and the boss freaks....

I just want insight on how to always be the guy that floats from place to place, and is friendly, not friends, yet friendly, with everyone everywhere everytime....

I strive to do that but I am not perfect.

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
1)

The one i am with, has few people who can ride alone. Mostly noobies like me, many who drop out after a week, they come from different areas.

I am assuming from the above that you cant ride alone due to lack of experience? If so, would you be able to get that experience at the other place? If that is the case, then there you have it. You make the move in order to better yourself to (maybe one day) come back and give your experience to the first unit.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I am assuming from the above that you cant ride alone due to lack of experience? If so, would you be able to get that experience at the other place? If that is the case, then there you have it. You make the move in order to better yourself to (maybe one day) come back and give your experience to the first unit.

Well, I am starting to think that I could say, with the other unit, they work more days, and I could get more experience quicker.

It would take me longer, because of limited operational hours, to get experience with first one.

If the seconf one lets me ride every day, I will to get the experience, I would even stop working a month or two to volunteer,

I intend to get a paid job, then volunteer one day a week to be part of a vollie service.

Maybe I can tell the first one, if I get more experince at the second, I can return and be qualified to ride alone.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Its volunteer its not your job. Just tell them you are no longer available to respond. No need for more.

This is perfect. Nothing more, nothing less.

My service (paid per call volunteer) requests at least one week notice, but if you want, you can walk into the bosses office and tell him that you are done.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Some people can bow out of obligations and keep people from feeling slighted better than others.

A lot of this has to do with the relationship prior to the break, and the person/people/org you're leaving. As far as the actions you take, no magic tricks, just be upfront and polite. It's not really any different than resigning from a job - write a nice letter thanking them for the experience and deliver it in person, soon enough that they have time to make schedule changes or what not.

I just want insight on how to always be the guy that floats from place to place, and is friendly, not friends, yet friendly, with everyone everywhere everytime....

Why do you want to float from place to place? There's something to be said for loyalty... no matter where you are there will always be other, more exciting and fresh opportunities out there that are tempting to grab but then you're starting over each time and you establish yourself no where.

The advantages of becoming established at one place? More opportunities within the organization such as promotion to Officer/management positions. More of that "second family" support structure that I and many others appreciate as a benefit of this field. It also tends to look way better on your resume... why would a boss hire someone who shows a pattern of bouncing from job to job, especially when there is a large upfront investment in hiring you? You also make better connections... yes it's good to have many connections but the quality of those connections are also important. If they're all only very superficial, they won't do anything for you.

I understand that sometimes it's to your advantage to leave one organization for another and I'm not arguing that you shouldn't leave, but don't forget the larger picture... and I really don't see why your goal would be to "float from place to place."

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
A lot of this has to do with the relationship prior to the break, and the person/people/org you're leaving. As far as the actions you take, no magic tricks, just be upfront and polite. It's not really any different than resigning from a job - write a nice letter thanking them for the experience and deliver it in person, soon enough that they have time to make schedule changes or what not.

Why do you want to float from place to place? There's something to be said for loyalty... no matter where you are there will always be other, more exciting and fresh opportunities out there that are tempting to grab but then you're starting over each time and you establish yourself no where.

The advantages of becoming established at one place? More opportunities within the organization such as promotion to Officer/management positions. More of that "second family" support structure that I and many others appreciate as a benefit of this field. It also tends to look way better on your resume... why would a boss hire someone who shows a pattern of bouncing from job to job, especially when there is a large upfront investment in hiring you? You also make better connections... yes it's good to have many connections but the quality of those connections are also important. If they're all only very superficial, they won't do anything for you.

I understand that sometimes it's to your advantage to leave one organization for another and I'm not arguing that you shouldn't leave, but don't forget the larger picture... and I really don't see why your goal would be to "float from place to place."

MY BIGGEST FEAR with any forum is being taken out of context.

I meant other people float place to place.

I just intend to leave on for another, if all goes well stay there.

The place I am at, the active people, ie , riding in the buses are all noobies; less than a year. They all hate the veterans, except for the President they elected to shape things up.

The ones with experience have it elsewhere.

The veterans of the service, many are not even EMTs, many of them either are admin or inactive members.

It was very big in the 1970s, there are many lifetime inactive members.

There is literally only two days a week chance for me to ride along, and actual jobs are rare.

The other service, a more cohesive group, work every day, more buses, and the community still calls them direct. They have more social activiites.

I do not want to pit one against the other, but, the reality is it would be better for me to be with the other service.

And I googled old news paper articles, it seems like every year or so, a new group of people join the place to re-vamp it......

They actually stayed afloat four years ago by selling their building and moving in to a storefront.

I would love to help, see the service grow back, but I dont see that happening.

The most skilled EMT, is actually there, the other guys say, because he can get away with being cocky and doesnt have to listen to anyone else.

Another issue is the smoking, EVERYONE chain smokes.

I also dislike the cruising. I can tolerate being in the back to respond to a job, or transport, but I hate the circling the same block 20 times to check some girl in a skirt out.......

We have assigned cross street locations to await calls or buff the radio from.

The president actually asks us to do that to save fuel.

But they like to cruise, explore, stop by places during downtime.

I could do that in the front seat only....road suck in nyc....

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like a lot of drama over quiting or switching volunteer services.

reaper

Working Bum
Are we in grade school?

If you want to leave, then leave. they may be hurt or they may not.

Why not do both? Give the current one a couple days a month and get experience at the other one.

This is not really life or death here. Do what you want to do. They are not paying you, so need to frett over it!

94H

Forum Lieutenant
I understand where you are coming from, it is hard to gain experience in NYC as a vollie. If you can get it somewhere else then go for it.

I dont know how much physical contact the two squads have, but in my experience there isnt much. Just say that you cant volly there anymore.

The easy way to keep out of the drama?

Dont tell them you are changing squads.