How not to drive code 3... lol

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
. . . stopped on the shoulder behind school buses with his siren blaring . . .

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
His article has more to do with transport to the hospital, not the initial response TO a pt.

That it does, but the same principals apply & i would refer you to my earlier post. The time you save is negligable.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow.

*Transporting to a children's hospital. "Precious cargo" onboard. I'd be VERY careful while transporting said patient.

*Filming a video. Looks like at one point someone is playing with the camera. I HOPE it isn't the driver.

*Off roading. WTF? WHY?

*Siren sound doesn't change. Should be alternating approaching intersections

*Proceeding though intersections against a red light. Freaking STUPID. AT LEAST come to a full stop. Don't tempt fate.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to message the guy the link to this thread.

Edit: looking at some of his newer videos, it looks like he got educated, or talked to about it. The newer ones show him only passing on right when necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
That it does, but the same principals apply & i would refer you to my earlier post. The time you save is negligable.

Do not dismiss lights and sirens out of hand. They make huge differences in urban areas like Los Angeles where there may be 50+ cars waiting to go through a single intersection, or there may be a major street backed up for 10 plus miles. The time savings I am talking about are literally in the range of 5-40 minutes per response (that is time saved). (To those familiar with LA, I am going to cite trying to use Sepulveda Blvd to get out of the Valley when the 405 is jammed (all day long), or trying to get from West LA to County USC with a trauma, etc.

Additionally, there are limited emergencies that require code response even in non congested urban areas.

That said, I cringe every time I see idiots with sirens, or hear about ambulance crashes. Be safe, take EVOC, and use lights and sirens as tools only when needed.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
For all those who are against RLS, if that works in your area, fine, awesome.

For those of us who work in an urban system, they mean the difference between 5 and 15 minutes.

I have done RLS responses as far at 60+ miles on the highway, and through Philly.

I made the ambulance move.
But only when the situation warrents, such as a 14 y/o male with a testicular torsion x 2.5 hrs, no available aircraft, and the pedi hospital was 30 miles away.
Yes, I go against traffic, pass on the right, and blow through red lights.

Now that you are fired up, when traffic is backed up on the left, and clear on the right, rather then pushing it all over, go that way.

If I have a clear view, right and left when I approach a redlight, I'm not even gonna slow down for it.
Granted, those red lights are few and faaaar between, but they exist.
That is just to get to the call. Once we are there, unless it is something that is time critical, or we can not handle, lights go off, we go in nice and easy. Hard to provide good care bouncing around in the back, and hear lung/heart sounds with a screaming siren.

There are no absolutes in life, so before getting all fired up over how certain areas drive, think about how they have to operate.

As for the video, change the friggin tone!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
For all those who are against RLS, if that works in your area, fine, awesome.

For those of us who work in an urban system, they mean the difference between 5 and 15 minutes.

I have done RLS responses as far at 60+ miles on the highway, and through Philly.

I made the ambulance move.
But only when the situation warrents, such as a 14 y/o male with a testicular torsion x 2.5 hrs, no available aircraft, and the pedi hospital was 30 miles away.
Yes, I go against traffic, pass on the right, and blow through red lights.

Now that you are fired up, when traffic is backed up on the left, and clear on the right, rather then pushing it all over, go that way.

If I have a clear view, right and left when I approach a redlight, I'm not even gonna slow down for it.
Granted, those red lights are few and faaaar between, but they exist.
That is just to get to the call. Once we are there, unless it is something that is time critical, or we can not handle, lights go off, we go in nice and easy. Hard to provide good care bouncing around in the back, and hear lung/heart sounds with a screaming siren.

There are no absolutes in life, so before getting all fired up over how certain areas drive, think about how they have to operate.

As for the video, change the friggin tone!

I just pray and hope we don't read about you in the news section.

R/r 911

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
His article has more to do with transport to the hospital, not the initial response TO a pt.

You're right, but driving L&S like this, regardless of transporting or responding, should not be performed in this manner. This driver is lucky they haven't been in an accident already/killed someone - or maybe they have....who knows.

On a side note - the drivers' responses to comments on the youtube site just show his arrogance and lack of understanding of emergency vehicle operations. I wish there were some way to punish this driver. He does admit to working in Alabama...perhaps they should be notified. Then again, they'll probably praise his "great driving".

Last edited by a moderator:

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
There is another video on youtube showing a volunteer EMT driving at around 90 mph in her own vehicle running lights/sirens. She had her kids in her car, and the call was dispatched as abdominal pain.

Watching this was more than enough to hit my threshold. I now think that any use of lights in a personal vehicle should be banned, no matter the volunteer department's circumstances.

Think you could link me to this video?

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
You're right, but driving L&S like this, regardless of transporting or responding, should not be performed in this manner. This driver is lucky they haven't been in an accident already/killed someone - or maybe they have....who knows.

On a side note - the drivers' responses to comments on the youtube site just show his arrogance and lack of understanding of emergency vehicle operations. I wish there were some way to punish this driver. He does admit to working in Alabama...perhaps they should be notified. Then again, they'll probably praise his "great driving".

I dont know what service he is with, but I can tell he is in Mobile, AL.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
IN the end of the video you can make out what appears to be a childs voice. If the Ped is A&O for the most part, seems to beable to speak well. Why are they running Code 3 to the hospital? Some people, sure lights and sirens are fun and make pretty shows, and sounds. I don't like them enough to risk my life,partner,PT,Public.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Do not dismiss lights and sirens out of hand. They make huge differences in urban areas like Los Angeles where there may be 50+ cars waiting to go through a single intersection, or there may be a major street backed up for 10 plus miles. The time savings I am talking about are literally in the range of 5-40 minutes per response (that is time saved). (To those familiar with LA, I am going to cite trying to use Sepulveda Blvd to get out of the Valley when the 405 is jammed (all day long), or trying to get from West LA to County USC with a trauma, etc.

amen to that! LA is a nightmare sometimes. Especially the 405 and 101 into hollywood!

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
amen to that! LA is a nightmare sometimes. Especially the 405 and 101 into hollywood!

Virginia Beach, myself. Traffic out here is a nightmare system of tunnels, bridges, antiquated road design, and overpopulation that the two lane roads just weren't designed to handle.

Without lights, siren, a decent airhorn, and the willingness to pop the occasional curb (NOT sidewalk), you'd never get anywhere. Average response time would probably be damn near an hour.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Virginia Beach, myself. Traffic out here is a nightmare system of tunnels, bridges, antiquated road design, and overpopulation that the two lane roads just weren't designed to handle.

Without lights, siren, a decent airhorn, and the willingness to pop the occasional curb (NOT sidewalk), you'd never get anywhere. Average response time would probably be damn near an hour.

Popping curbs on response only correct? I don't mind someone doing that for a response, as that seems more reasonable than a transport because there is no patient in the back so a smooth ride to give care isn't totally necessary. As long as what you do is safe on the response, I don't care too much.

cperschke

Forum Probie
So, I'm the FNG. I'm not even an EMT-B. That being said It seems like everyone concern is the passing on the right, and the airhorn to try to get people to move?

Maybe things are drasticly different in an ambulance but I've run "code 3" In a police vehicle and there are times when getting there quick is not an option, getting there "RIGHT NOW" is the only acceptable solution. It seems like overall the driver didn't do anything dangerous per se, but that he took lots of actions that could confuse other drivers.

I agree that Confusing the other drivers on the road is dangerous, the reality is most of them have no idea how to react in the first place. It just seems like everyone is very critical of the drivers actions.

Do we know if this was a "real" emergency? Is it possible the speed might have meant the difference between life and death?

I guess I'm just kinda surprised to see such strong condemnation.

I've passed on the right in emergencies, I've used my horn to force someone in front of me to get out of the way, but I was also watching very closely and knowingly was taking those risks.

cperschke

Forum Probie
Popping curbs on response only correct? I don't mind someone doing that for a response, as that seems more reasonable than a transport because there is no patient in the back so a smooth ride to give care isn't totally necessary. As long as what you do is safe on the response, I don't care too much.

Actually, This is something I hadn't considered. It makes perfect sense that you need a nice stable platform to give aid to a patient, I suppose it's possible though that in some cases the potential harm might still be minimal compared to the delay, but overall it does in fact seem risky. Depending on the type of injury that is.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I suppose it's possible though that in some cases the potential harm might still be minimal compared to the delay,

Of course this all hangs on the delay being harmful to the patient to begin with. The situations that are -that- time sensitive are extremely, extremely rare.