how my job is going.

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Well since starting my new job as a tech in the local trauma center, I have worked 40 hours this weekend, and have had some ups and some downs <_<

One thing that has really bothered me is... There is a medic preceptor there, Steve... Me and Steve were in the trauma room, and they brought a code 55 in. We began hooking the monitors up, splinting, etc. And then the Doctor asked for a folley. And Steve threw me the sterile gloves and told me to do it. The problem is, I had only watched one folley be put in, and I had put one in with assistance. So I was already nervous to begin with. I started to put the gloves on, and I just could not get the gloves on. PERIOD. They were just not working with me. Finally they ripped, and by now, I fealt like crap !!! So I got another pair of sterile gloves, and was having difficulties, but finally got them on. I HAVE NO CLUE WHY I COULD NOT GET A PAIR OF D**N GLOVES ON. So I got my stuff ready, and started to penetrate the penis. The 14 yo pt went crazy, and in the process, my glove was covered in the lubricant some how. Nevertheless, I kept trying to get the rest of the tube in, but as you can imagine, when you glove is coved with lubricant, this is very hard. Around this time, I was getting every aggitated, and the ER Doc happens to walk up, and started ragging on me, but nothing to major. Finally Steve grabbed the tube with his gloves (not sterile) and finished the task.

I felt horrible, not only did I make myself look like I had no clue what I was doing, I also made Steve, a very reputable medic in the hospital look like crap as well. the whole way home, and ever since, I havent been able to stop thinking about it, and I havent been able to face steve.

What do I do? I think most of it was just the nervousness of working my first code. But at the same time, I think to myself... I cant even get a folley in...

Besides this occurence, I love the job... but so far, I know where NOTHING is, and everytime a Dr. asks me to set up a tray or get something, I have to go and ask another tech what all belongs on the tray. Its very frustrating.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Everybody was new at one time or another. They all know that.

Best advice is not to beat yourself up over a foley. You will get it next time.

Ask around....I am sure everyone here has a funny story about how they really screwed something up at one time or another.

Bottome line is....you didn't affect the outcome at all.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Sep 13 2005, 11:54 PM
Bottome line is....you didn't affect the outcome at all.
well technically... the outcome was affected because "steve" ended up finish in the foley with his non sterile glove... but im sure the lil dude will be okay.

I love this job so far, but I have learned that about 90% of my job responsibilities, I HAVE NEVER LEARNED BEFORE. Alot of them are intermediate and Medic skills, and it really getting to me when the nurses say... can you _____... and im like .. uh no... im supposed to know how...

But I catch on really quick, and I am a very very quick learner. All in all, I love the job, couldnt ask for anything better... well besides working on a truck. But I still get to drive a truck to go to the helipad to pick up pts. that are flown in.

I know I should be beating myself up over this little mistake. I just felt RETARTED when it happened. I wanted to go home and practice, but there is no way I am putting that tube in me.. uhhhh uhhhh :rolleyes: :blink:

I also have another problem... I am a very open person, and very outgoing. But for some reason... I am very shy at this job. I dont know why, and cant get out of my shell. I am thinking that it may just be the shift.. not so used to staying up till 0500. I know it will wear off.. Maybe I should just go to work with no clothes on... that loosen things up...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
You'll be fine. This isn't like starting any regular old job. You'll pick up on the skills and eventually be able to set up those trays blindfolded and with one arm tied behind your back. Everyone goes through this. And you have to figure this is a major confidence breaker. You won't come out of your shy shell until you're more comfortable with your duties and surroundings. Be patient, and don't beat your self up over it. If you feel that bad about the foley and Steve, take him aside for a few minutes, apologize, explain how you're feeling and I guarantee he'll tell you it's fine, maybe crack a joke or two and might have some constructive advice for you.

Whenever you feel that way, like you've offended or upset someone (and vice versa), take them aside asap and discuss it with them, it will make you & them feel 100% better and reduce almost all the stress that kind of reflecting will cause.

HotNoldEMTchick

Forum Crew Member
I agree - I think you should discuss it with them. When I had a problem with my preceptor at the ER (they way she handled patients) I went to someone else, and although she didn't like it.... I got a much better education and more hands on experience....

:)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Foleys are Fun! (just as long as it isn't going in me.

I remember my second attempt at Female cathetarization.... I tried to go for a hole, that wasn't even a hole :rolleyes: :wacko: :ph34r: :blink: Oops!

Jon