how much fuel to you use during a shift?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
How much fuel do you use during a typical 12 hour shift? how much in a 24?

At what level do you refill the tank, and at what level are you considered OOS for calls due to fuel?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ground: our ambulances say running for the entire shift. We will typically fill up ~ 3-4 times per shift. We are required to fill up when our tank hits 3/4 full. We don’t really have an established OOS level but usually we will call it either at 1/4 tank or when the low fuel light comes on. Depending on where the call is we sometimes have to fuel up during our lights and siren response.

Flight: my base sits with 2 hours of fuel on the pad. 1 hour and 30 minutes of that is usable with the remaining 30 minutes being an unplanned reserve. We have to fill up after every single flight or on our longer flights multiple times. We burn 1 gallon per minute of flight and have a maximum fuel load of 187 gallons.

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Idolizes Johnny and Roy
At my previous full time service, the minimum ot had to be at at the end of shift was ¾ full. There was no going out of service for fuel, just fuel delay. We'd fill up 2 or 3 times a day usually.

Part time service, we're supposed to maintain it at ¾ full or higher. I always fill up around the half mark because my partner (a full time paramedic) hates getting gas, doing truck checks, etc. I usually ensure that it's at ¾ or higher by the time I come off duty, because they will overlook the occasional "we've been running for all 24 hours and were too tired to get gas" situation.

New full time service, I will find out shortly.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
FT: we fill up when we get back home, after 90 + or 180+ miles. If we need to we can fill up earlier.
PT We fill up after we leave the hospital; at

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
PT: We fill up after we leave the hospital when we get to safe station. Then again when we get home.
Sometimes we go to the scene, come back to town and fill up then drive the patient to the hospital
It is 110-130 miles 1 way to the hospital from base area, and we can go up to 70 miles (140 round trip) miles to get the patient