How much do you spend on CE?

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Just curious how much, on average you have spent on CE in one cert cycle.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Nothing. My service pays for all of it, including any class that I want to take.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Nothing. Company offers 300+ online hours and a lot of classroom hours. Some of the classes we get paid while we are taking them and others we don't.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Potentially, it could be nothing. However given a "unique" work situation that places me 2000 miles from the job with free CE and refreshers for 8 months out of the year, I've spent 150 in the last cycle.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Classes are free, we get paid for anything mandatory, then usually try to pick up a shift right after so we hit double time ;-)

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Not going to waste my time or money. Going to pay $150 for the class with skills and such.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
nothing, my company pays for all CE including ACLS, PALS, and PHTLS. in addition to 48 hours of CE pay, and the cost of my license.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

JPINFV

Gadfly
A few thousand dollars a year, but that was because I used my college courses for my CEs.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
A few thousand dollars a year, but that was because I used my college courses for my CEs.

Ten's of thousands a year you mean. ;)

Ouch.

It does feel good when you get your FAFSA reminder email and you delete it unread though.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ten's of thousands a year you mean. ;)

Ouch.

It does feel good when you get your FAFSA reminder email and you delete it unread though.
Well, undergrad was a state school, but grad school was expensive. However I just let my EMT certs lapse when I went into med school.

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
my service pays for nothing... i'm going close to 1300 this year alone including hotel stays...

all my service covers is their CPR, ACLS, and PALS that they teach, but the lectures are biased and has very little take home value

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Well, undergrad was a state school, but grad school was expensive. However I just let my EMT certs lapse when I went into med school.

That is unfortunate, in my home state I just send them a list of my classes, the hours involved, and they renew it for nothing.

Instructor cert too.

Edit:

I have to fill out a form that says I am not a terrorist or knowingly support terrorism also.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, the problem was that I needed to renew my CPR card, and I had a choice between renewing my CPR card on my own dime, or waiting 4 months and taking the course for free at my school.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Well, the problem was that I needed to renew my CPR card, and I had a choice between renewing my CPR card on my own dime, or waiting 4 months and taking the course for free at my school.

That really sucks.

You need better connections at school

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I had to pay for ACLS and PALS last year, figure $300 or so total. This year, I'll probably be out of pocket for ITLS/PHTLS, and on top of that, I'm paying for half of EMSToday this year, instead of a free ride.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Having left EMS it costs about $200 a year.