How much did becoming an EMT/medic cost you?

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
EMT-B, Indiana University. ~$600

EMT-P, Community College in Iowa $4500 (employer paid)

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
EMT-B: 550ish (including the text)
EMT-P: 9000ish including books.

Costs for testing, etc. was included in tuition.

Ark

Forum Ride Along
Wow, looks like everyone got off a lot more cheaply than I did!

$2500 Tuition (included uniform, book, background check, drug test, etc...)

$70 x2 (practical and written)

$lots (gas, etc)

I wouldn't trade it in for anything though, my school experience was phenomenal (have yet to take practicals/written). I'll be continuing on to medic at the same school as well.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Nashville area Comm College $1500 tuition/books/shots/clinical shirt/testing fees

pants, steth, boots, all seperate...Prob right under $2k for basic w/ IV cert , give or take.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Holy crap! you had to get married too? That's rough!

[sorry/congratulations] for your loss (Delete as applicable)

Hey crap happens... its a good thing though... cause the lovely lady i am with now, i couldnt ask for anything better.. she understands what i do, and the hours. And she is a pharmacist :)

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
For those going through/having gone through paramedic school I'm surprised I'm not seeing more costs like "my marriage" or "my friends and family". :p

I've lost some friends in the process for sure, but it's because they don't understand what a commitment Paramedic school is. Having said that, I've gained several very good friends through class. :cool:

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I've lost some friends in the process for sure, but it's because they don't understand what a commitment Paramedic school is. Having said that, I've gained several very good friends through class. :cool:

I also agree, The friends and the "New Family" i have within the fire house and everything, i couldnt ask for much better group of people

Shooter

Forum Probie
After reading the responses thus far, I feel fortunate that I will not pay a dime. The VA is picking up the tab for my Paramedic Science degree. Also, the VA is paying me to go to school. :blush:

daine.scott

Forum Probie
The whole cost turned around to be about $ 6500. This includes ACLS, PALS, ITLS and NRP. I am still thinking of pursuing further studies once I have enough funds for it.

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
Already answered for how much my basic has cost me. Going to school now to be a Medic.

So Far for my first semester ( 1 of 6 ):

Tuition : $3,800
Books : $800
Physicals/Background Check : $400.
Uniforms : $240

JsonAre

Forum Probie
About 600 dollars, compared to the program I was going to take it:censored::censored::censored:8217;s much MUCH better. The program I was going to take at a local hospital was 1800 dollars for EMT-B. Still in the class by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matman22

Forum Ride Along
I Completed a Bachelor of Health Science (Paramedic) degree In brisbane Australia which qualifies me as an Advanced Care Paramedic with the Queensland Ambulance Service..

The degree was AU$24,500
probably $1000 for textbooks
$500 for health, fitness and criminal hx tests.

Not a cheap endeavour...
Plus QAS is not the highest paying ambulance services in australia...
but it's getting better and better! lol

jimmy ardon

Forum Ride Along
Lets see 2000 for tuition emt hybrid course (online) "self paced" 3 months long
300 for titer test
50 for physical
20 in gas for going back and forth from vero beach to orlando once a week for labs and clinicals
35 for florida license fee
75 for NREMT

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
2k for paramedic which included livescans and vaccine I needed updated, acls, pals, phtls, and internship. Passed NREMT 1st attempt as did most of my class. Class is still the same price