How much CPR? For real?

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Came across an interesting case today. A few months ago (cold outside) adult F found down outside after a benzo overdose. Asystolic, hypothermic (can't recal temp) and received CPR for....get this, 5 hours 40 minutes. Walked out of the hospital neurologically intact. Anyone have any experience with a case similar to this?

Egg

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
never seen it myself, but i've always been taught your not dead until your warm and dead..

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Egg
Interesting. Where was this case at?

CPG

Forum Crew Member
Long Duration CPR

I work in a hospital as security......

We had a fella come in after 3 hours outside in sub-zero temps at night, long and short if it was he fell and hit his head on the sidewalk. Unknown core temp.

We got him at 0230, we did CPR (about 20 of us) until 0600.

Warm and Dead....

Kimmy Schaub

Forum Probie
Wow lucky I'm sure the cold contributed to this because it slows the body's functions down

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Came across an interesting case today. A few months ago (cold outside) adult F found down outside after a benzo overdose. Asystolic, hypothermic (can't recal temp) and received CPR for....get this, 5 hours 40 minutes. Walked out of the hospital neurologically intact. Anyone have any experience with a case similar to this?

Egg

Please for everyone's learning opportunity and my own morbid curisosity, please link the source of this case study, or cut and paste...whichever you prefer. There are finer details I would like to know, rather than "this one time, at bandcamp..."

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Only code I've experienced was in my clinicals. We must've worked the guy for 40 minutes, switching off between compressions and pacing him. Must've used every drug in the book. He didn't make it...

On a side note, from an ALS perspective, can someone tell my why they tried Atropine before Epi??

Thanks!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Only code I've experienced was in my clinicals. We must've worked the guy for 40 minutes, switching off between compressions and pacing him. Must've used every drug in the book. He didn't make it...

On a side note, from an ALS perspective, can someone tell my why they tried Atropine before Epi??

Thanks!

was this a code or was he brady first? You would pace someone who is brady.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

Thanks!

the initial rhythm was probably bradycardic...

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Started with a respitory arrest. His heart and BP kept dropping until he went asystole. That's when I started compressions.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Started with a respitory arrest. His heart and BP kept dropping until he went asystole. That's when I started compressions.

well than that is probably why atropine was the first drug. When the patient was in respitory arrest, was the patient receiveing oxygen? Were they intubated? Or succesfully receiving oxygen through the BVM?

OP
OP
E

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
I can get a few more details but not loads yet. The case was just M&M'd. It happened in a suburb of Denver. As far as I know the receiving facility intends to submit the case for publication. More to come if I am able.

Egg

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
well than that is probably why atropine was the first drug. When the patient was in respitory arrest, was the patient receiveing oxygen? Were they intubated? Or succesfully receiving oxygen through the BVM?

Here's the weird part- the tech i was with grabbed the airway cart. Thinking the doc was gonna intubate, he grabbed the stuff. The doc (newer guy) says "gimme an OPA". OK.... whatever. He did that and it didn't take very well, so then he finally decided to intubate. Through all of this someone was bagging him with BVM and high flow O2. Once intubated, the resp. tech bagged him for the rest of the code.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Here's the weird part- the tech i was with grabbed the airway cart. Thinking the doc was gonna intubate, he grabbed the stuff. The doc (newer guy) says "gimme an OPA". OK.... whatever. He did that and it didn't take very well, so then he finally decided to intubate. Through all of this someone was bagging him with BVM and high flow O2. Once intubated, the resp. tech bagged him for the rest of the code.

well one has to preoxygenate before intubating. The important part is if O2 was getting into the lungs from just bagging him. Atropine was probably given to a bradycardic rhythym and when the patient coded, epi.