How many people are on your ambulance?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Both services: 2 paramedics and almost always a student

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
2. Medic/Basic or rarely medic/medic.

If there is a third, it's usuallya preceptee.

The volunteers in my area tend to have more people on the trucks.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
for the paid job, ALS has two Paramedics, BLS has two EMTs.

if the a serious patient, you have 4 people on scene, and typically transport in two vehicles with either both medics or an emt and a medic in the back.

if it's a stable ALS patient, the medics will transport solo.

for the volunteer side, typically the minimum staffing is two, but usually we try to have at least 3, but no more than 4. medics still run with 2, state requirement. paid EMS agencies must run with 2 EMTs at a minimum state requirement

volunteer ambulances can run with 1 EMT and 1 First Aid certified Driver at a minimum.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Paramedic/Paramedic
Paramedic/Student

sometimes 3 up if we have a university degree student doing clinical placement

IAems

Forum Crew Member
Gotta Love LA

ALS IFT: 1 EMT-B, 1 Paramedic
ALS Rescue: 2 Paramedics
BLS (IFT or Rescue): 2 EMT-B
Specialty Care Transport: 2 EMT-B; 1 Respiratory Therapist (yeah, ventilator devices are beyond the scope of a paramedic in Los Angeles, just like pretty much everything else).
Critical Care Transport: 2 EMT-B; 1 MICN

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
At least a Basic in the back, firefighter or another basic for driver in ideal situations. Department is totally staffed by volunteers.

Last edited by a moderator:

BEorP

Forum Captain
911 calls:
1 ACP
1 ICP
1 PCP

Transfers:
1 ICP
1 PCP

Critical transfers
1 ACP
1 PCP

Interesting... I didn't realize that we had places in Canada where they did three person crews. Do you find that this reduces the need for having a second crew for a lift or other assistance?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
BLS IFT we run 2 basics. One of the 911 services in the county I know for sure runs dual medic, I'm fairly sure the other runs medic/basic.

At my company, if a patient is over 350 pounds they'll generally automatically dispatch an additional crew for a lift assist. This doesn't happen very often as we don't have a bari rig down here anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

1 Paramedic and 1 EMT basic, unless staff emergencies then we will run dbl medic.

Do 911 and IFT including vent transfers (1hour+ xfer times) for the last 2 years. Before that we would run 1 medic and 2 basics with the second baggings the patient.

phideux

Forum Captain
We run all 911 calls, it's just me, now an EMT-P. And my partner, an EMT-B. If we ever need extra hands in the back, we are dispatched with at least a FR rig.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
911 service: a medic and an EMT-I. Occasionally a dual medic.

ALS IFT: medic and a basic driver. Occasionally I'll take a nurse or RT. Balloon pumps, for instance.

PeteBlair

Forum Crew Member
I work with an all volunteer BLS EMS in a 55 plus community.

We have 3: 1 EMT-B and two First Responders one of whom is the driver.

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
Paramedic/Paramedic
Paramedic/Student

sometimes 3 up if we have a university degree student doing clinical placement

Our station runs these same combinations as well as an ambulance crewed by a single officer. This person generally just does transfers but gets dispatched to emergency calls if the main crew is busy. In this situation we may transport on our own (depending on pt's condition) or may request police or fire to drive for us if there is no ambulance backup available within a reasonable time frame.

BEorP

Forum Captain
Our station runs these same combinations as well as an ambulance crewed by a single officer. This person generally just does transfers but gets dispatched to emergency calls if the main crew is busy. In this situation we may transport on our own (depending on pt's condition) or may request police or fire to drive for us if there is no ambulance backup available within a reasonable time frame.

When you say that the single officer does transfers, does this mean that the sending facilities always send a nurse to accompany the patient?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
When you say that the single officer does transfers, does this mean that the sending facilities always send a nurse to accompany the patient?

No, the patient transfer service is always singled crewed with one PTO, they transport alone because they are basically hospital<>home<>GP clinic runs.

What you are thinking of is "inter facility transfer" of acutely crook people which is handled by a normal road crew or sometimes they will send somebody but no, the PTS are not used for that.

BEorP

Forum Captain
No, the patient transfer service is always singled crewed with one PTO, they transport alone because they are basically hospital<>home<>GP clinic runs.

What you are thinking of is "inter facility transfer" of acutely crook people which is handled by a normal road crew or sometimes they will send somebody but no, the PTS are not used for that.

Ah, thanks... that makes more sense.

btkspot89

Forum Probie
For my Volunteer- 1 Driver (Must be an EMT) and 1 EMT in the back and typically a 3rd Trainee
Paid- 2 EMT/Drivers.