How many people are on your ambulance?

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
How many people do you run on ambulances? The department I am joining typically runs three people to a truck, but sometimes runs four.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Here in Portland, 2 paramedics

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Typically two IN the ambulance. Three IN the ambulance if we are doing training for a probie.

I don't think I've ever had anyone on my ambulance before. ;)

OP
OP
J

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
Typically two IN the ambulance. Three IN the ambulance if we are doing training for a probie.

lol. IN, ON, close enough :p

I guess it's different considering we're volunteer.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
lol. IN, ON, close enough :p

I guess it's different considering we're volunteer.

Lol! I know. I'm just feeling ornery this morning. ;-)

And we are volunteer also. We just don't have near enough people to staff rigs with four. We have a hard enough time staffing two rigs with two people each.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
Lol! I know. I'm just feeling ornery this morning. ;-)

And we are volunteer also. We just don't have near enough people to staff rigs with four. We have a hard enough time staffing two rigs with two people each.

Well the majority of the volunteers, including myself, are not certified yet. So we're mostly made up of 3rd's. So when we're not transporting on weekdays we usually go 1 EMT and 2-3 3rd's and on weekends it's 2 EMTs and 1-2 3rd's.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Either 2emts or 2medics.

Occasionally a student or trainee

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Two Ambulance Officers in the ambulance,

In Auckland it's generally two Paramedics, or a Paramedic and an Intensive Care Paramedic. Technicians who are intern Paramedics in place of the second Paramedic sometimes.

Where volunteer Officers are used to create a blended crew it's often one Technician (volunteer) and one Paramedic (paid) or a Technician and an IC.

Totally volunteer crews will have two Technicians.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Our staffing depends on time of day. Dayside, career staffing staffs our ambulance (BLS) with 2 EMT-B's and our medic unit (ALS) with either 1 EMT-B and 1 ALS Provider (EMT-I or EMT-P) or 2 ALS providers. At night and sometimes on weekends, volunteer staffing supplements career staffing, bringing up the staffing on the ambulance to 3 or 4.

njemtbvol

Forum Probie
2 emt B's, 3 if there is a probie on that day.
Tho our neighboring town is like a clown car. We once got to an mvi and 6 of them got out :p

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
Pd service. Is MFR driver, P and B or I in back

Volunteer service is driver and 2 B's. We have an ILS chase, so up to 3 in back.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
911 calls:
1 ACP
1 ICP
1 PCP

Transfers:
1 ICP
1 PCP

Critical transfers
1 ACP
1 PCP

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
911 calls:
1 ACP
1 ICP
1 PCP

Transfers:
1 ICP
1 PCP

Critical transfers
1 ACP
1 PCP

I'm curious, what's the rationale behind three member crews? I know you run your service Kat, so I'm just curious. Is it cost-effective vs. tiering a second unit in the event the hands are needed?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Crazy Canadians with your Intermediate Care Paramedics and two year educated PCPs in Ontario who can't put in a drip

Bloody hell our vocatioanlly trained Intermediate Care Officers of days gone by probably had about 9 months of formal education in total spread out over a couple years and they could harpoon people :D

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
2 Around here, level depends on the service. Either 2 EMT-I or above at one service, the others are an EMT-B and a medic, or Double medic.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain

This.

Over a holiday weekend we had 10 people waiting for an ambulance to go out in. I asked if I could take one of those 10 people out with me and was told there was no way it could ever ever be justified.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Two. One I or P, one basic.

Last edited by a moderator: