How many lights is too many?

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
I am going to add my 10 cents worth, having once been a fire vollie and a rescue vollie...

In Australia, no one is permitted to fit l/s to their own private vehicles. Period. No ifs, buts and what ifs.

Government emergency services vehicles, yes.
Private emergency services require authority from the relevant government department (such as where I work), and even then, l/s are used under extreme circumstances.

As a fire/rescue vollie, I did not find not having lights and sirens got me to the shed any quicker. I still got the call in the rescue / fire truck at the same time as everyone else: - I was in the truck.

A point of interest, I discussed this with my partner the other day, and he told me of a story where 2 trucks responded to one call, the first truck sped off down the road, l/s blazing, he went in the 2nd truck, no sirens and still got to the scene before the first truck.

It appears that some people get a certain physiological effect from driving a truck with lights and sirens. I know I used to, who wouldn't?

There was a rumour that the local volunteer rural fire service were going to allow their volunteers to use red/blue lights in private vehicles, but it was just that, a rumour, and a volunteer who did so not only got into s**t from his service, but also had words with the local police station about it.

If everyone has l/s on their private vehicles, who is going to take notice in a real emergency, especially if everyone used them for going to the shops?

I do have a red rotator in the car, that is magnetic mount and plugs into the lighter socket in the car, but it is only used if the car is stopped on the road assisting at a car accident when I am first on scene. Otherwise, hazards do the job nicely.

I don't see the need to fit l/s to private vehicles, I firmly believe it is there to overinflate an ego to compensate for other short comings, but if they agency allows it, there must be an identified need.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
seven, seven lights is too many. try and keep it under that magical number and your good. but i really don't think anyone except the emergency vehicles should have lights. if you run a red in your POV and then your buddy behind you follows guess how many patients you have now?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Use your cranium or what is supposed to be in it. Do a little math ( I know that is a bad word for most medics) and you will see, you do not save more tan a few minutes at the most. If you doubled your speed, (in which you should not) then you will only save half the time, now increasing will only increase a few seconds per mile... Sorry, if they are that screwed up, then a extra few minutes is not going to save them. Real world..

Want evidence about POV, check out volunteer firefighter insurance web site. The problem is they are not usually marked/classified as an emergency vehicle so tracking is hard.

Thank goodness, my state does not allow POV with l/s. Public John Q. has enough problems yeilding for 5 ton EMS units with several LED and dual sirens, you think they will honor or see you in a POV?

R/r 911

thowle

Forum Crew Member
Yes, it would be a shame to judge all by a few... if that was the case, but I feel it is a rarity instead of the opposite (check out VFI web-site). Realistically how much time is really saved if you really cannot speed or are supposed to obey local laws?

Sorry, excessive speed and those that do not want to abide by the rules ruins it for all... just like in the professional world.

R/r 911

None; When I first got into it I used to be all about the lights; that wore off pretty quick. The past few times (been a while) that I responded even in an apparatus to a medical call and/or fire, I ran code 1 with no lights or siren... and I'm pretty much 100% sure I made it on-scene quicker than if I had been runing code 3.

Lights are good on the apparatus There isn't really a need for them in POV, all they do is cause problems by temptation; but sometimes it just takes time for everyone to realize that.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
None; When I first got into it I used to be all about the lights; that wore off pretty quick. The past few times (been a while) that I responded even in an apparatus to a medical call and/or fire, I ran code 1 with no lights or siren... and I'm pretty much 100% sure I made it on-scene quicker than if I had been runing code 3.

Lights are good on the apparatus There isn't really a need for them in POV, all they do is cause problems by temptation; but sometimes it just takes time for everyone to realize that.

while i completly agree with the no lights on pov's angle, if you take the same route from station to scene dark and quiet v. lights and sirens, how could no lights get you there faster? maybe at the same time sure, but faster?

thowle

Forum Crew Member
The reason I say faster is because of the traffic.... around here when they see lights and hear the siren they seem to "freak out" and either stop in the middle of the road, drive slower and TRY to pull over, or just ignore us... where as if you go code 1, they drive nice and smooth just as normal.