How many lights is too many?

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
What is the point? I don't know of a single person with lights on their personal vehicles in this whole county (there are 8 911 trucks, 5 non-911 trucks that do mostly transfers)... so thats at least 26 EMTs per day times 3 days.. you get my point.

Is it a regional thing maybe? Or is my county full of slack-asses?

>_>

All im going to say is this topic is beat dead. Do a quick search for all the other categories that have been brought up over this. We have Whackers here, We have Anti-Whackers, We have people in the middle. Just don't bother with the ethics of it (Regarding to "What is the point")

As for a Regional Thing, its more a State by State issue.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Your county is not full of slack-asses. Depending on the vollie services, some will issue one red rotator light and a siren along with a voice pager. That's the way it is in my county. Some just want more, and they invest in it.

skyemt

Forum Captain
please.... please... please...

not this thread again...

what is it... the person with the short straw has to bring it up again???

is there a single topic more beaten to death?

Grady_emt

Forum Captain

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I didnt realize this was a hot-button topic.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, essentially there are two classses of people. People who invest their money so that their car is a rolling disco lamp (search for "POV lights" on you tube. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVMtjOhvnUM&feature=related) and people who invest their money in education. Now, I ask you, would you rather have someone showing up to care for you with a pimped out car, or someone with more that 110 hours of night class spread out over 3 months?

For example, the car in that youtube video spent around $1600 for the lights using what he stated in his description and looking at the video (2 dual talons, one front, one back, and 2 sets of grill lights). That's over half of what it cost me for a quarter tuition (University of California, Irvine was on the quarter system). That's more money than one of the paramedic programs near where I grew up (Saddleback community college, ~$1000 for the course) or worth 80 college credits at another community college (Orange Coast College). Basically, if he spent his money wisely he wouldn't have to be worrying about responding in his POV.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Well, essentially there are two classses of people. People who invest their money so that their car is a rolling disco lamp (search for "POV lights" on you tube. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVMtjOhvnUM&feature=related) and people who invest their money in education. Now, I ask you, would you rather have someone showing up to care for you with a pimped out car, or someone with more that 110 hours of night class spread out over 3 months?

For example, the car in that youtube video spent around $1600 for the lights using what he stated in his description and looking at the video (2 dual talons, one front, one back, and 2 sets of grill lights). That's over half of what it cost me for a quarter tuition (University of California, Irvine was on the quarter system). That's more money than one of the paramedic programs near where I grew up (Saddleback community college, ~$1000 for the course) or worth 80 college credits at another community college (Orange Coast College). Basically, if he spent his money wisely he wouldn't have to be worrying about responding in his POV.

The funniest part is all the wackers saying "Nice Setup", and "WOW, great lights". Even one guy mentioned people being hurt by vehicles with inadequate lighting...oh the irony.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay Y'all....In the last 3 weeks there have been 3 seperate threads started on this topic. And in the last 3 weeks this poor horse has been beat to death, buried....dug up got his tail whooped again.

I merged the 3 threads.

PLEASE!!! For the love of all that is EMS.....lets not start a new thread on lights on POV's!! Use this one.....and keep in mind....horses don't have 9 lives....cats do!!:p:p:p

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in the Northwest Territories emergency lights in Privately owned Vehicles are prohibited. Not only off duty EMS but off duty fire and police are also prohibited from having emergency light in their vehicles. Only in department owned vehicles are allowed emergency lights under our Motor Vehicles act.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in the Northwest Territories emergency lights in Privately owned Vehicles are prohibited. Not only off duty EMS but off duty fire and police are also prohibited from having emergency light in their vehicles. Only in department owned vehicles are allowed emergency lights under our Motor Vehicles act.

I forgot to put off duty before police. Also I forgot to put privately owned vehcle

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I

Thus # 1005 reason not to have vollies with emergency lights. No reason too... leave the lights and sirens on the emergency units.

R/r 911

I completely agree, i do indeed have lights for responding to ff, but i only use them in the early hours of the day 12-5am usually because no one is on the road, i would rather sit at a light and make the second rig than be the one to cause another accident.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
Leave the lights and sirens on the emergency units.
I wholeheartedly agree. We certainly don't want NON professionals driving around with lights and sirens. Oh, but wait, we don't have non - professionals doing that anyway.

Let's see. My definition of an 'emergency unit' is a motor vehicle with lights and sirens driven by a public safety professional (fire, police, ems, take your pick). So what happens when you put lights and sirens on a POV? It suddenly becomes a motor vehicle with lights and sirens driven by a public safety professional (fire, police, ems). Sounds like an 'emergency unit' to me. The only difference is who's name is on the title. That's it.

skyemt

Forum Captain
I wholeheartedly agree. We certainly don't want NON professionals driving around with lights and sirens. Oh, but wait, we don't have non - professionals doing that anyway.

Let's see. My definition of an 'emergency unit' is a motor vehicle with lights and sirens driven by a public safety professional (fire, police, ems, take your pick). So what happens when you put lights and sirens on a POV? It suddenly becomes a motor vehicle with lights and sirens driven by a public safety professional (fire, police, ems). Sounds like an 'emergency unit' to me. The only difference is who's name is on the title. That's it.

i mean... come on... you can't really believe that nonsense!!

i have a green light on my POV... as the days go by, i wonder why i even have it...

i most certainly DO NOT think of myself as an "Emergency Vehicle"...

it is, however, an entertaining thought... if i put a light on my bicycle, do i then become an "Emergency Vehicle", ridden by a Professional??

look out, cars... here i come in 10th gear!!

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
it is, however, an entertaining thought... if i put a light on my bicycle, do i then become an "Emergency Vehicle", ridden by a Professional??
Why yes, actually, you do. As long as your jurisdiction has some kind of vehicle check for bicycles.

Clearly you've never lived in a large metropolitan area. I used to live in Baltimore, MD and worked in Washington, DC and both Baltimore AND DC had bicycle cops and yes, they did have little lights on the bicycles. I don't recall them having sirens, but they did have lights. And for 'special events' like parades and festivals, they also had fire / ems / police on bicycles, 4 wheel ATV's, and they had a couple of those John Deere type tractors where you could put a patient on a backboard too that had lights and sirens on them.

Seriously. It all depends on what the 'powers that be' in your specific jurisdiction say is ok. If you're jurisdiction says you can put lights on a POV, go ahead. If your jurisdiction says no, you can't, then don't. I've lived in both types of jurisdictions and so far I think the decisions have been sound.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
please.... please... please...

not this thread again...

what is it... the person with the short straw has to bring it up again???

is there a single topic more beaten to death?

The length and style of paramedic programs.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
The length and style of paramedic programs.

That can't compare to the real winners for these forums:
  • Volly EMS
  • EMT-B educational standards
  • Spelling and grammar (and yet no one learns...)
  • I'm 12 and want to be a FF/Medic/action hero. What can I do?
  • OMG NREMT TOMORROW!!!!
  • OMG PASSED NREMT!!!!
  • Passed NREMT two weeks ago, need job.

So much time and typing would be saved if there was a sticky for each of these in the appropriate threads. Of course, that time would then be spent locking threads that don't comply.