How many clinical hours did you get while training for EMT?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
When you guys went out to do your clinicals, did you ever have it to where the medic or whoever you were with would not let you do anything? The first time I was in the EMT program we had students who said they were not allowed to do anything other than observe and others were able to do everything.

Completely depends on who you're working with, the impression the student makes on them, and the patient. Do your best to show that you're competent and willing to learn, and hopefully the person you're working with isn't a jerk.

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
and hopefully the person you're working with isn't a jerk.

I am hoping I get nice folks during mine...

I will be doing 10 hours in the ER and 10 hour with the fire dept who keeps pretty busy here. (certain stations) I think there is 22 stations total here? They choose which station though.

I am excited... I just hope like you said I am not stuck with someone who is like that. I have lots of field experience so it's not the end of the world if I just watch. I would hope I could do stuff though because that's how you learn.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I am hoping I get nice folks during mine...

I will be doing 10 hours in the ER and 10 hour with the fire dept who keeps pretty busy here. (certain stations) I think there is 22 stations total here? They choose which station though.

I am excited... I just hope like you said I am not stuck with someone who is like that. I have lots of field experience so it's not the end of the world if I just watch. I would hope I could do stuff though because that's how you learn.

What field experience do you have, were you an MFR?

Its usually the ER that people complain about, such as snotty nurses or whatever, but I found its not really an issue if you are in a decent sized ER, if you have a precepter or Nurse that ignores you, then find another Nurse or tech who seems willing to let you see and do stuff and answer questions, you can usually find one.

Ride alongs can be a problem though, because you are usually with the same crew the whole time, so if you wind up with an a hole for a precepter it can make for a long shift.

Marques951

Forum Ride Along
When I did my ER shift, the RN let us do everything and just kept an eye on us. I was there from midnight to four in the morning so it was not too busy, but it was a good experience. Also when I did my OB clinical, that was by far the best one. The doctor there let me observe everything he did and when he had down time he was quizzing me on the entire OB chapter in my text book and showing me things that were not in the book too.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Our program quit going with hours and went with patient contacts. They found some students on a slow day would get 2 patients in a 12 hour shift.
We had to have 10 medical patient contacts and 5 trauma.
Mine took 42 hours, but I didn't stop at 15. I had such good preceptors I kept wanting to go back.

Last edited by a moderator:

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
we had 2 mandatory 12 hour shifts, 1 ridealong with the fd(all paras) and 1 ed clinical. they offered more, but nobody took them up on the offer.

medic2100

Paramedic
I went to Columbia State in Columbia, TN, we had 96 clinical hours, 500 is ridiculous IMO for EMT-IV. Southeastern is known for overdoing everything. Did I mention my EMT-IV class was a summer semester and costed about 2,000. I can imagine that you are paying almost 10,000 for this program.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I went to Columbia State in Columbia, TN, we had 96 clinical hours, 500 is ridiculous IMO for EMT-IV. Southeastern is known for overdoing everything. Did I mention my EMT-IV class was a summer semester and costed about 2,000. I can imagine that you are paying almost 10,000 for this program.

According to their site it is over 15k. And they have had no graduates yet.

My medic program only cost 4k

OP
OP
N

Niesje

Forum Crew Member

I'm paying over 16k, but I feel like I'm getting a better education than Columbia and Vol State. I liked the idea of getting more clinicals and I've heard really good things about their paramedics and they have the same teachers. So far, I'm really enjoying the class and I feel like I'm learning a lot. They haven't had the AEMT program for long, the class that's a semester ahead of me is the first. They'll graduate in July I think.

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
i paid $2000.00! and i will be working as soon as the state finishes my paperwork. less than 2 months total.

jefftherealmccoy

Forum Crew Member
When I got my emt-b in Utah in 2006 you didn't have to do any clinicals. Just the written and practical. Same with EMT-I. Pretty sure it's at 24 hrs now though.

milehimedic

Forum Probie
We did 1 Fire shift, 1 ALS, 1 BLS, and 2 ED shifts. I guess that's about 50 hours. I liked the ED shifts so much that I decided to scribe FT instead, and volunteer PT in EMS.

jrarnold243

Forum Probie
Tarrant County College

We were required to get 24 hours in ED and 48 on ambulance. I got quite a bit more since I signed up for extra.