How long did you go between getting your certs and landing a job?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
13 months.

ToyotaTruck

Forum Crew Member
Got my Certs in August of 2011, quit my part time job then too, came back to my part time job in Dec, gonna have my first EMT interview on Thursday. CA is a tough market.

Gon8822

Forum Probie
Fresh Noobie

i got all my cert in Jan 2012.(NYC)
Still looking for job now..
i just don't know where to look. should i just go for Volunteer first? Get some EXP?? or may be go find some open shift??
And the worst part is i check for the City FDNY EMS filling date is 2 month BEFORE our Exam date!!! so i think do we have to wait for a year to get in 911??

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Bad example, joined a volunteer squad in jan 09, began course in jan 09, cert in may 09, got LEO job in May 09

So i dont technically work as an EMT, however i always get dispatched to the EMS calls when im working, basically get the info for the police report, then act as a first responder emt until EMS gets there

hate to say it but just an EMT cert makes you less marketable. Once i started taking technical rescue courses, advanced ICS courses, i began to get job offers from FD, EMS, PD all over the area, including other states.

If you live near a city, pursue hazmat. Haz-Tac ambulances are the thing right now, tons of FEMA grants for the urbans

Vivian

Forum Probie
I certified in July of last year, volunteer ever since. I did apply for and got interviewed for one IFT company but they could only offer 1 shift a week at $11/hour. Which would be great, but I was appaled by the state of their units and the commute was quite long for 1 shift a week and virtually no garenteed shifts.