How does this happen?

emtstation600

Forum Probie
The other night on shift we had a call for a female who fell out of a second story window. As we arrive on scene our dispatch tells us the patient is back up in her apt. We get up there and we ask what happened. She stated she tripped and fell out of the window which she said the window was plexi glass. . She had outward rotation of the left leg and could not take a deep breath and stated she fell on her left side which from what she was complaing some adds up. I went back out to the truck to get some equipment and decided to look at where she fell. There was fresh snow on the ground and there was no indication of a fall where she said she fell The window was still in place. So how did she fall? Come to find out she had a hip FX. Any Ideas on how this could have happened?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
How old was the patient???

Plexi-glas takes some effort to break. If she fell out a window, there should be a missing window, or at least an open one. If there is no indication of a fall outside, is it possible that she fell "next to" the window and "thought" she "was going to fall through the window"??? If pt. is elderly, could be dementia, if younger, could be psychotic. Either way - immobilize and transport, make sure the docs at the facility know that there is a "questionable fall from elevation" and that there is some concern about the patient's mental facaulities.

As to the hip fracture - elderly folk (usually folks with decrased bone density) fall from standing and break hips all the time.

I had an elderly guy several weeks ago who slipped and fell in the bathtub. He was complaing of "a little bit of tenderness" when I paplated his left hip. Pt refused to admit pain, but it was obvoius that something hurt. Left leg was outwardly rotated - I think he ended up having a radial femur Fx.

Jon

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
countless possibilities...was law enforcement called??? could of been a domestic and she just didn't want rat out her boyfriend/husband..you know how wierd people get about being abused

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Moved to EMS Talk

This story is a weird one. I've learned that you just can't make assumptions in EMS.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by ndilley@Nov 25 2005, 09:17 PM
countless possibilities...was law enforcement called??? could of been a domestic and she just didn't want rat out her boyfriend/husband..you know how wierd people get about being abused
Domestic was my first thought after reading it through. :unsure:

But something funky definitely going on.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I also thought domestic when I read through it since there is no obvious signs of window being broken, and landing in the snow. Also if she went through a window wouldn't she have some abrasions on her arms?? Just a thought. Package the pt and transport. And let the ER know what was observed.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
The window fell out of the frame and she fell flat on it, somehow, not disturbing the snow much?

Bounced off a tree and back inside through the 1st floor window?

Was she intoxicated?

Her leg got caught on something, fracturing it, and not letting her fall all the way down?

You got me...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by AnthonyM83@Nov 26 2005, 06:21 PM

Bounced off a tree and back inside through the 1st floor window?

:lol: ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Was her hair wet, like she just stepped out of the shower?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like a domestic... fishy

or maybe she was doing something really embarassing, and doesn't want to share.

We all have one of those moments at some point in life...

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I am going for domestic as well.

Where was the boyfriend/girlfriend/SO?

Any sign of one?

OP
OP
E

emtstation600

Forum Probie
There was no B/f or G/f There. She did not have any ETOH on board. Last i hear that No one knows what really happened and PD talked to her and got no where with this. one of the many unknowns in EMS

OP
OP
E

emtstation600

Forum Probie
PD still does not know what happened with this case. I guess this is just one of thoes things that no one knows what happened and the Pt will Prolly take to the grave with her