How do you know if someone is a volunteer EMT?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Does anyone else notice the Spotlight style light in the far upper left corner? Or how about the cigarette lighter hanging on the ground to the right of the radios to make room for them?
Holy whacker....

The spotlight is because it's a crownvic probably an old PI. And the cigarette lighter thing is just a 12 volt power strip.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
How can you spot a volunteer? Anyone who wears EMS or fire anything outside of work.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sorry but am I missing something here? I can't see why having a doll hanging from your mirror makes you a whacker :wacko:

Depending on the type of doll, it can make you a wet whacker.

Last edited by a moderator:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a Chevy Caprice.

You know.... The big 'ole CAPRICE in the middle of the console might have given that away...<_<

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That is definitely a radar detector. I have mine more hidden, but barely worth using these days.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Looks exactly like a radar detector and it is in the exact place where they are placed in cars.

That is definitely a radar detector. I have mine more hidden, but barely worth using these days.

I have never seen a radar detector with 8 feet of extra cord so you can place it in other locations in the vehicle. :unsure:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have never seen a radar detector with 8 feet of extra cord so you can place it in other locations in the vehicle. :unsure:

Pretty common.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

The ones that I have seen have a decent length of power cable

Achilles

Forum Moron
The ones that I have seen have a decent length of power cable

I've only seen the coil ones.
I guess people do some pretty weird things, like have four radios in their car :p

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Something that I have yet to see in the automotive world is a radar detection system that also does direction finding… Sure, I'd like to know that a radar threat is out there, but I'd also like to know where it is. After all, a signal coming from your left or right isn't actually a threat, but one directly ahead or behind is... and if you even know exactly what frequency it's on, you might even be able to figure out if the signal generator belongs to a threat or the local automatic door opener... with a very good signal processing system, you could even possibly be able to differentiate individual transmitters.

However, because radar detectors are very common these days, police departments seem to be going to the use of LIDAR to detect speed instead of radar because it is a lot more specific and a lot more difficult to detect until it's too late.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I was under the impression that radar detectors were almost useless nowadays due to instant on radar.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Something that I have yet to see in the automotive world is a radar detection system that also does direction finding… Sure, I'd like to know that a radar threat is out there, but I'd also like to know where it is. After all, a signal coming from your left or right isn't actually a threat, but one directly ahead or behind is... and if you even know exactly what frequency it's on, you might even be able to figure out if the signal generator belongs to a threat or the local automatic door opener... with a very good signal processing system, you could even possibly be able to differentiate individual transmitters.

However, because radar detectors are very common these days, police departments seem to be going to the use of LIDAR to detect speed instead of radar because it is a lot more specific and a lot more difficult to detect until it's too late.
The Valentine One radar detector has been providing directional information for 20+ years. I haven't used a radar detector in about a decade. When I did use one, only for driving my long commute on the interstate, it was surprisingly effective. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was under the impression that radar detectors were almost useless nowadays due to instant on radar.

If lidar or some other form of instant on radar is used a mile in front of me on a different vehicle mine is supposed to light up and give me plenty o warning. Unfortunately it does not do that as well as it used to. If the cop hits me with lidar, I'm done even if it goes off, too late.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I don't bother with a radar detector because if by chance I end up speeding without one, I may get off with a warning. With many of the local officers, if they pull you over and they see a radar detector, they WILL give you a ticket since you had already purchased your warning.