Hospital suspends over 100 employees for not getting COVID vaccine

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Some people cannot do these vaccines. People who are allergic to penicillin or amoxicillin like my wife. Those ingredients are inside these shots for Covid 19. I'm sure that companies mandating workers to get shots would be something that could definitely be challenged in the court of law. I did get the shot because my work site was strongly recommending it and they gave it to us for free. I took Pfizer and have not had any reactions.
Uhhhh, that is 100% false information. I have an allergy to amoxicillin and received the Pfizer shot with no issues.

The only thing that the CDC recommends is that the vaccinator increase the time they monitor you after the shot if you have a severe allergy.

The COVID vaccine does not contain penicillin nor amoxicillin.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
CDC webpage.
I just checked the CDC website and didn't see any recommendation against getting vaccinated for people with penicillin allergies. Under the section headed "If You Have Allergies Not Related to Vaccines," it says, "CDC recommends that people get vaccinated even if they have a history of severe allergic reactions to injectable medications...People with a history of allergies to oral medications or a family history of severe allergic reactions may also get vaccinated."

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm sure that companies mandating workers to get shots would be something that could definitely be challenged in the court of law.
they could challenge, it, but they would likely lose. there is legal precedent for this, and cases have already been tossed.

many places are providing exemptions due to medical conditions and religious reasons. your wife's PCP would need to provide documentation for what she can't get it. But methinks your wife's doctor would not be willing to attach his name to a factually inaccurate reason not to get the vacine.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
they could challenge, it, but they would likely lose. there is legal precedent for this, and cases have already been tossed.

There is legal precedent for requiring approved vaccines, not EUA. EUA vaccines have never before been distributed at a scale worth challenging, so as it stands it is merely presumed precedence.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
There is legal precedent for requiring approved vaccines, not EUA. EUA vaccines have never before been distributed at a scale worth challenging, so as it stands it is merely presumed precedence.
Except that precedent has effectively been established in this case already when the judge tossed the lawsuit.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It was tossed on a conspiracy theorist argument, that doesn't set precedent.
I said effectively a precedent. It's going to make it that much harder when the next case is filed.

Summit

Critical Crazy
It was tossed on a conspiracy theorist argument, that doesn't set precedent.
They had some wild arguments but those weren't the only merits argued. It lost hard period.

The Department of Veterans Affairs is the largest healthcare agency in the USA with almost 400K employees. Directive says Vaccine mandatory for all employees within 8 weeks. I'd expect FDA approval in the next month maybe two, and most healthcare organizations will follow suit on mandation.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Look at what CA announced today...mandatory vaccines for ALL state employees and healthcare workers. If you choose to not be vaccinated, you will be subjected to frequent testing.

Intothefog

Forum Probie
Look at what CA announced today...mandatory vaccines for ALL state employees and healthcare workers. If you choose to not be vaccinated, you will be subjected to frequent testing.

I’ve held out getting the vaccine but kinda knew at some point it was going to get to this. All this hypocrisy and flip flop decision making it’s hard not to second guess anyone at this point. Now I’m forced to get the jab or lose my job. Getting tested twice a week isn’t realistic. If I missed one test what happens? Do I get shown the door?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I’ve held out getting the vaccine but kinda knew at some point it was going to get to this. All this hypocrisy and flip flop decision making it’s hard not to second guess anyone at this point. Now I’m forced to get the jab or lose my job. Getting tested twice a week isn’t realistic. If I missed one test what happens? Do I get shown the door?
idk... that's a question for your employer. however, if that is the condition they say of not getting the vaccine, I would make sure it was in my calendar where and when I was going to get my test from, and never miss an appointment.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Flip flop decision making could also be called rolling with the punches. Science is uncertain, and sometimes it’s better to pivot the guidance rather than just ride something out.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems pretty simple to me. You have the right not to get vaccinated. Companies have the right not to employ you.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Which I think is fair and reasonable, especially when balanced against mandatory vaccination, which my position on is well known.

Although I'm not sure I think making the employees pay for the testing is fair. This is CA after all; not exactly known for worrying at all about the cost of state employee benefits. Isn't this the state that pays for gender reassignment surgery for inmates?

Comfort Care

Forum Probie
I’ve held out getting the vaccine but kinda knew at some point it was going to get to this. All this hypocrisy and flip flop decision making it’s hard not to second guess anyone at this point. Now I’m forced to get the jab or lose my job. Getting tested twice a week isn’t realistic. If I missed one test what happens? Do I get shown the
Sounds like your in a pickle, I would opt for the jab brother, sound like a pain in the *** to deal with testing and so forth. We just admitted a few patients for ECMO due to unvaccinated COVID. Would hate to see you with rectal tube, foley, dobhoff FT, OG, Cordis, Central lines, PRONED, paralyzed (ever heard of Nimbex?), sedated, on pressors. true story😁

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
"Litany of compelling rationale for an employer to try and protect the employee"

And the road to Hell is paved in good intentions.

Where do you draw the line? May an employer require you be a non-smoking, non-drinking, 4 day a week exercising, body fat percentage of less than 2%, genetically screened for minimal risks to cancer? All of these things carry risks to employer staffing availability, and all have been viewed as "the greatest threat" to a person's health at one time or another.
I worked at a hospital where my glucose was LITERALLY 2 points above Their own hospital "normal" range and i was considered unhealthy and given a writeup for it IN ORIENTATION. Stupid, yes.

Most flight providers have strict weight limits due to their job obviously (sorta goes with the BMI standards you speak of)

A huge amount of hospital areas ban smoking by employees as well as all pts on their property and discourage its use.

This stuff is already happening in one way or another....