"High Schoolers and Heart Attacks..."

slawson

Forum Crew Member
In all my years of public service, and my short stint of EMS, I have never heard or seen anything that comes close to this. Apparently, in Darien CT the high school there runs an EMS service. I think this is amazing and am jelous that I did not have this same oppertunity. This could prove to be disasterous if done improperly, but this school seems to have it under great supervision and has done an excellent job (just based on the report).

Let me know what you think. I am anxious to hear commentary from the more experienced personel.

By the way, the video seems like it is malfunctioning at first as it starts, then restarts, let it play, give it about 15 seconds and it will restart again and play the way through.

Thanks!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Interesting none the less. And I'd like to slap the reporter for bashing on the kids by calling them "pimply-faced teenagers". He could have done a better job, IMO, but the story was told.

If they are trained, certified, and proven they could do the job, then that's great.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Been around for a long while... most states have wised up and require adult requirements. Disney had a TV series about one service that was ran by high school.

Until about a year or two ago, many allowed them to drive emergency status as well. There was a sharp increase in EVO accidents involving youth, and many insurance companies have raised age up to 21 to 23.

As well, most are not aware of the liability risks they place their parents at. PTSD has as well have been addressed as a potential problem of exposing younger adults to too much stress and critical decision making.

I was an avid supporter at one time (former EMS explorer & post advisor). Now, I have went against it totally. We have an EMT program locally for high school seniors. Out of eight years of program only two have became EMT's (am/ p.m. classes). Because of behavior, immaturity, apathy, they are no longer welcomed locally for clinicals at ER or EMS. We had thought at one time, it was associated with the instructor, but we have had 3 competent Paramedics as instructors, without change from students.

The field is hard, dangerous, and very stressful at times. Yes, give some third party rides with a Supv. and some first responder classes, but to place as working medics no.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

VinBin

Forum Captain
I agree with you on most accounts, Rid. I think the problem is, it is pushed into High School in most areas, advertised, if you will. There was a commercial out (MN I think) recruiting EMTs, what did they have? Blazing lights/sirens, high speed, the jaded/cool medic who roamed the streets saving every MI and Shooting victim.

What High Schooler doesn't want to be that (esp. driving fast)?? Real EMS is composed of very little of the things advertised. Some dont have the maturity to deal with it, hell a lot of older people who get into EMS dont have the maturity to deal with it either.

Those that truly want to pursue it (no matter what age), will and won't do it for a commercial on TV but will decide after true research, ride alongs...etc.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Been around for a long while... most states have wised up and require adult requirements. Disney had a TV series about one service that was ran by high school.

Until about a year or two ago, many allowed them to drive emergency status as well. There was a sharp increase in EVO accidents involving youth, and many insurance companies have raised age up to 21 to 23.

As well, most are not aware of the liability risks they place their parents at. PTSD has as well have been addressed as a potential problem of exposing younger adults to too much stress and critical decision making.

I was an avid supporter at one time (former EMS explorer & post advisor). Now, I have went against it totally. We have an EMT program locally for high school seniors. Out of eight years of program only two have became EMT's (am/ p.m. classes). Because of behavior, immaturity, apathy, they are no longer welcomed locally for clinicals at ER or EMS. We had thought at one time, it was associated with the instructor, but we have had 3 competent Paramedics as instructors, without change from students.

The field is hard, dangerous, and very stressful at times. Yes, give some third party rides with a Supv. and some first responder classes, but to place as working medics no.

R/r 911

R/Rid, while I am not disputing your experiences, it all depends on the individual. I am a High School senior, will be 18 in several weeks, and have been running emergency calls for over a year. I have been a certified EMT since June. Our department, as well as many other rural volunteer squads, relies on our high schoolers and "under 21" crowd. There are certainly teenagers who should not be anywhere near a rescue squad , but please do not declare us to be categorically unfit to serve.

mrdell4150

Forum Crew Member
Yea, I saw the news program also. I was wondering how it all worked though. What if they get a day full of calls? I know I would never be able to make up work like that during school. I am the same age as them so I guess I can relate. If they can get it done, so be it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
R/Rid, while I am not disputing your experiences, it all depends on the individual. I am a High School senior, will be 18 in several weeks, and have been running emergency calls for over a year. I have been a certified EMT since June. Our department, as well as many other rural volunteer squads, relies on our high schoolers and "under 21" crowd. There are certainly teenagers who should not be anywhere near a rescue squad , but please do not declare us to be categorically unfit to serve.

Did'nt call you unfit to serve, just should not serve by providing direct patient care. There are multitude of things that can be learned and accomplished other than that. Sorry, I realize not all should be categorized or lumped in one sum, but patient care should be handled by those of legal age.

R/r 911

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Did'nt call you unfit to serve, just should not serve by providing direct patient care. There are multitude of things that can be learned and accomplished other than that. Sorry, I realize not all should be categorized or lumped in one sum, but patient care should be handled by those of legal age.

R/r 911

I think the patients that I've helped might disagree with you.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
seems there's quite a few 'pimply faced kids' making life or death decisions in Iraq for us right now

if they are good enough for that, they're good enough to ride with me anytime...

~S~

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I believe in the right community, and with the appropriate training, "Teen EMTs" can be a valuable community resource. This is a far too simplified response, I know, but I think that it's unfair to make blanket generalizations about any group.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
R/r 911
Why can't a teen provide patient care? As long as their are a certified EMT, what does it matter of they are 16 or 66? I know of some EMT's a LOT older that I wouldn't want treating my dog let alone someone in my family. I don't believe it's the age that matters, but the competency level. If they can prove themselves competent to the State to get licensed it wouldn't matter to me.

BTW, I assume when you say 'legal age' that means legal to drive. Because if you are refering to 'legal age' meaning legal to drink I'm going to have to agree with Stevo that there are plenty of those pimply faced kids old enough to go get killed in a combat zone. IMO if they are old enough to go KILL someone, then they are old enough to SAVE some one.

OP
OP
S

slawson

Forum Crew Member
Why can't a teen provide patient care? As long as their are a certified EMT, what does it matter of they are 16 or 66? I know of some EMT's a LOT older that I wouldn't want treating my dog let alone someone in my family. I don't believe it's the age that matters, but the competency level. If they can prove themselves competent to the State to get licensed it wouldn't matter to me.

BTW, I assume when you say 'legal age' that means legal to drive. Because if you are refering to 'legal age' meaning legal to drink I'm going to have to agree with Stevo that there are plenty of those pimply faced kids old enough to go get killed in a combat zone. IMO if they are old enough to go KILL someone, then they are old enough to SAVE some one.

I agree with what you said. However, there is one thing that I think you sould think about. There are a signifigant % of people who come back from war (iraq) who are 18-21 that I personally know, that are truley changed individuals. People that just aren't mature enough to handle what they have seen and done. Although I'm sure that combat is a little different than EMS, some of the same traits remain. You are dealing with the worse of life. Although the right type of person who is in high school would be able to sucessfully handle the EMS world, just as in the millitary, you willl have some that can not and due to its harsh extreme views of life, could suffer post traumatic stress syndrome that can not be, or will take a great amount of time, to overcome.

Just my .02

zvi-emt

Forum Probie
youth

There are definite advantages to having teen EMT's, With so many volunteer companies in my home area (NJ) having problems with recruitment and some even needing to shut down, it would help to train some younger people on the chance that some stick around long term. Also, if they are certified, then they should be allowed to practice, Rid, do you support making the minimum age for certification 18, or 21? interested to get your opinion on this.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think 18 has to be the minimum. There are legal issues at stake that require legal adulthood. The ability to sign a contract and be legally responsible for yourself.

Now, aside from legal adulthood there needs to be a consideration given for the emotional maturity of the individual. This can only be done through the interview process by each agency at the time of hire. All 18 year olds think they are more mature than the average Joe and are convinced that they are able to handle anything and everything. Some are, some aren't.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Funny this should come up. I know people from the Darien ambulance service.

Here's the biggest issue with many young EMTs: they think that just because they have had more time in the service, they are more mature and have more seniority over you. Sorry, bub, but I really don't care how much more experience you have, unless you act the part, I'm not giving you any more respect than a new EMT at the same age. In fact, if you're not going to act up to the age that you portray yourself at, I'm probably going to give you crap left and right because you're creating a gross double standard.

Look, I'm young, 19 years old. But I act like a 23 year old. In fact, I am constantly stared at in disbelief when I reveal my age. And, though I am a relavtively new EMT, people respect me because I know and do my job well, but also because present myself in a very mature manner...always.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I started riding at 16 years old. While I agree I certainly wasn't very mature I was very into it. I became an EMT at 18 while in high school. I was an EMT 4 months before I had a high school diploma.

I once took a 2nd rig call at my school. It was a volunteer corp that only staffed a first rig. An ambulance was called for a fight where someone got part of an earlobe bit off. I was unaware of the call but a police offcier I knew asked me for directions to the nurse's office. I took her there, helped the medic bring his stuff in and just found myself on the call.

Last edited by a moderator:

PertinentNegative

Forum Ride Along
...but patient care should be handled by those of legal age.

R/r 911

Age, unfortunately, is not the best indicator if ability or responsibily. It would be great for public health and safety if we instantly became better at operating personal vehicles at 18 or drinking alcohol responsibly the day we hit 21, but this is not the case; proper experience is always necessary.

It is absolutely correct that individuals must be both physically and mentally capable, as well as, emotionally mature to provide care for patients. In today's society, where children are not as sheltered during childhood, many young adults mature at a younger age than they did a mere 30 years ago. With proper screening and interviewing, it is possible to select and allow such individuals to actively participate in providing proper care to society, in addition to being positive role models for their peers.

The cadet program I was a part of in my home town consisted of the most intelligent, athletic, and reputable teenagers available. We now go to school at places such as Yale, Johns Hopkins, and USMA.
Perhaps, two years are not enough to forget how capable some high school students are.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Personally, I think it was well reported................

I have mixed beliefs about minors being present on a 911 ambulance, but one aspect I certainly wouldn't condone is allowing them to drive. Most minors under 18 shouldn't drive a Yugo, much less an ambulance. The amount that this service is spending on insurance premiums alone could probably allow for fulltime staffing, if not a Paramedic. While my opinion is probably biased due to my locale offering a Paramedic on every truck staffed 24/7 with an above average response time, having minors who sat through a 120 hour advanced first aid training class and then being allowed to operate as the local 911 service is a lawsuit waiting to happen.............An intersting idea, but one that really isn't optimal in any environment.

Just my humble opinion.................

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
While my opinion is probably biased due to my locale offering a Paramedic on every truck staffed 24/7 with an above average response time, having minors who sat through a 120 hour advanced first aid training class and then being allowed to operate as the local 911 service is a lawsuit waiting to happen........

That's all well and good in Houston, Texas, but many rural communities like mine depend on teenagers and 20-somethings to get the truck out the door. There are certaintly plenty of teens who don't belong on an ambulance, but blanket generalizations about us are outrageously unfair. The best measure of an EMT or Paramedic's fitness for the job is how they perform. As long as they're mentally and physically able to provide care to the best of their training level, they should be able to run.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It might be unfair, but statistically over all research has shown and as well teenagers have demonstrated that they are unable to operate emergency vehicles in a safe operating manner. That is why a vast majority does not insure those under age 21.

As well from one who started as a medic when I was 16, I can assure you maturity and is different for most teenagers as well as continuous exposure of traumatic and psychological events. Thus part of the problem of whom can handle it or not. Does your department send those teenagers to psychologist to be sure they are capable to handle such events and stress? The reason adult(s) is presumed to be able to, is because of past life events that comes with maturity. Even then I still recommend screening on adults as well. We will see more and more PTSD from our youth in wars and conflicts.

As well, life experiences makes one understand a broader picture. Sorry, I don't buy into the "no one will do it, but us". You have LEO, fire fighters, city water, county road grader operators ? Then you could have paid EMT's/

R/r 911