High School student considering EMT

Ska

Forum Ride Along
I'm a High School student that's about to graduate and I have an interest in becoming an EMT. Although I know very little about EMS because I have never taken an EMT class, would it be possible to go on an ambulance as an observer so I can understand how the job is like?

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
Some ambulance services may let you do a ride along if you ask and explain why. A good way to get a feel for EMS is maybe considering a volunteer fire service, though it is not exactly like working an ambulance. I suggest that because, one will either hate it or love it. There really is not an in between. You don’t make much in EMS, but can be a stepping stone for someone your age.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
would it be possible to go on an ambulance as an observer so I can understand how the job is like?

I believe you have to be over 18 to go as an observer.

Chupathangy

Forum Crew Member
When I was deciding whether or not I really wanted to work in EMS I would talk to every EMT I came across. Not just the ones for the larger companies but the smaller ones too that did considerably less 911 calls. Ask them what they'll do on an average day, where they'll go, and how much down time they have between calls. Also ask them what they think of EMS. Lots of EMTs use EMS as a gateway for other medical jobs (e.g. nursing, P.A., or M.D.). But whatever you do, don't watch t.v and think that's what it's really like (I'm referring specifically to Trauma).

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
Go to your local community college or EMS Authority or anyone else that might have it and see if they have a first responder course you can take. That's generally a prerequisite to taking EMT-B, it's not to hard and it will get you involved in EMS. If you decide you're not interested it still gives you good skills.