Hey, new here

Feathered80

Forum Ride Along
I'm in the EMT-B program that started this semester. I was feeling pretty good with everything until I had my first lab then my anxiety kicked in and I started to second guess myself and wonder what I got myself into. o_O I think that is going to be my biggest issue...my anxiety and not much confidence. With that said, I'm looking forward to the experience and I am crossing my fingers I'll eventually feel more at ease. I have absolutely no medical experience. This seems like a nice group of peeps in here though, so I thought I'd pop in and say hi :)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The anxiety will pass with experience, and can be lessened by being more comfortable with the knowledge (i.e. Learn the material well). Good luck.

FFPRN16

The catch-all
Welcome, Most everyone has been nervous on a test at one time or another and in the medical field with continuing education you are a life long student.

NormWhitehurst

Forum Ride Along
I'm in the EMT-B program that started this semester. I was feeling pretty good with everything until I had my first lab then my anxiety kicked in and I started to second guess myself and wonder what I got myself into. o_O I think that is going to be my biggest issue...my anxiety and not much confidence. With that said, I'm looking forward to the experience and I am crossing my fingers I'll eventually feel more at ease. I have absolutely no medical experience. This seems like a nice group of peeps in here though, so I thought I'd pop in and say hi :)
That's exactly how I felt. I wrapped up my EMT course in August. But the first couple of weeks I seriously questioned what I was doing. I thought there was no way I can learn this. And then came the labs. They say memorize, memorize, memorize...which is true but you also need to connect the dots so it becomes more of a process than just rattling off "BSI, Is my scene safe" ;) Long story short, I finished 2nd in the class (shocked the hell out of me), passed the NREMT written and Saturday I'll take the practicals. I'll honestly miss taking tests! (he lied).

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
my anxiety went away once I started clinicals, lab doesn't give you a great feel for how things go in the real world, but it does give you practice with your procedures. I felt so much better once I started my ride-alongs because I was able to successfully apply my knowledge into the real world.

Keep your eyes open to your instructors and preceptors, notice the good and habits and make sure you don't go down the wrong path.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Turn the anxiety into energy. Jump in and get busy!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm trying! It's definitely a lot of material to grasp.
What is it exactly that you're so anxious about?

What are your goals beyond EMT?

The further you go in terms of your education, the more material to cover, but this goes without saying. My point being EMT is an entry-level vocational occupation, so try not to think too much into it, good luck.

Oh! And have fun with it, if you do hit the field, it really isn't all that fun and exciting all the time.

OP
OP
Feathered80

Feathered80

Forum Ride Along
Welcome, Most everyone has been nervous on a test at one time or another and in the medical field with continuing education you are a life long student.

I
That's exactly how I felt. I wrapped up my EMT course in August. But the first couple of weeks I seriously questioned what I was doing. I thought there was no way I can learn this. And then came the labs. They say memorize, memorize, memorize...which is true but you also need to connect the dots so it becomes more of a process than just rattling off "BSI, Is my scene safe" ;) Long story short, I finished 2nd in the class (shocked the hell out of me), passed the NREMT written and Saturday I'll take the practicals. I'll honestly miss taking tests! (he lied).

Congrats! That's great to hear! Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who is/ was feeling this way. We're still in the first month and have had two days of lab so far. Clinical signups are on Friday. Any tips on how you studied/practiced? They just announced open lab days, which is two days a week for 1.5 hours, Im hoping to find a lab partner (we have to go in with a partner) to practice. I am VERY nervous about clinical rotations - I'm hoping they wont be as bad as I'm anticipating. Thanks for replying...and Congrats again on your achievement!

OP
OP
Feathered80

Feathered80

Forum Ride Along
What is it exactly that you're so anxious about?

What are your goals beyond EMT?

The further you go in terms of your education, the more material to cover, but this goes without saying. My point being EMT is an entry-level vocational occupation, so try not to think too much into it, good luck.

Oh! And have fun with it, if you do hit the field, it really isn't all that fun and exciting all the time.[/QUOTE

Goals beyond EMT is ED nursing, but I'm flexible in my goals- I definitely feel like I want to be in the medical field though. Working in front of people with all eyes on me, is what I get anxious about. My heart starts to race, my mind goes blank, I can feel my face getting hot.
Knowing my performance is being watched and documented...This is my first time experiencing lab, clinical , or working under pressure sort of speak.

OP
OP
Feathered80

Feathered80

Forum Ride Along
my anxiety went away once I started clinicals, lab doesn't give you a great feel for how things go in the real world, but it does give you practice with your procedures. I felt so much better once I started my ride-alongs because I was able to successfully apply my knowledge into the real world.

Keep your eyes open to your instructors and preceptors, notice the good and habits and make sure you don't go down the wrong path.
Great advice, Thank you! :) I am hoping for a positive experience in clinicals... I believe signups are on Friday!

NormWhitehurst

Forum Ride Along
I

Congrats! That's great to hear! Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who is/ was feeling this way. We're still in the first month and have had two days of lab so far. Clinical signups are on Friday. Any tips on how you studied/practiced? They just announced open lab days, which is two days a week for 1.5 hours, Im hoping to find a lab partner (we have to go in with a partner) to practice. I am VERY nervous about clinical rotations - I'm hoping they wont be as bad as I'm anticipating. Thanks for replying...and Congrats again on your achievement!

I didn't pass a few practicals so I have to retake them. The crazy thing is they don't tell you what you did wrong. And the funny thing is, if I failed any, it were the ones I passed. But not giving up.

Jane

Forum Crew Member
I have horrible anxiety but I was so fortunate to have a lab instructor who had a sense of humor and a great group of classmates who always joked around, yet got to work when needed to. It definitely helped with my anxiety. I'm now a month into semester 1 of paramedic school and my anxiety is still a problem, along with confidence. But my preceptor keeps telling me that with time I'll become more confident. I get second guessing yourself. I rode on Monday night and I was absolutely second guessing myself, wondering if just maybe I should hold off. Or maybe just become a career EMT. I'm determined to stick with it, at least for this semester.

Talk to your instructors. I'm sure they probably will be more than willing to sit down with you and give you advice. You're not going to be the first anxious student they've had and you won't be the last. Also talk to your clinical preceptors. I'm sure they will try to make your more comfortable.

For studying, I took my lab manual with me on the trucks. Since I rode mostly nights, there was a lot of down time, and memorizing our skills was what I did to pass the time since we were technically not allowed to sleep (although I'm sure some people did).

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I just finished my emt class in early august, just got my state card. The way that i saw it was follow logic at the EMT-B level.. they cant breathe, help them breathe, they are bleeding everywhere, stop the bleeding from everywhere. Clinical Rotations are nothing to be scared of, where i was MOST people were willing to help, you have a few bitter people, but ignore them and move on. I also did this while working my "real job", to be completely honest- i did not have a ton of time to study, nor do i "excel" in school. Ask for help, instructors really try everything not to fail you. Also learn a lot from this website, DO NOT ask for answers to specific homework questions, BUT ask people to explain why xyz, happens, and use that to answer. Hopefully this helped :)

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Goals beyond EMT is ED nursing, but I'm flexible in my goals- I definitely feel like I want to be in the medical field though. Working in front of people with all eyes on me, is what I get anxious about. My heart starts to race, my mind goes blank, I can feel my face getting hot.
Knowing my performance is being watched and documented...This is my first time experiencing lab, clinical , or working under pressure sort of speak.

Think of it this way - getting your Basic cert is your first baby step into healthcare. If you decide to stick with the medical field, anywhere you'll work will involve a certain degree of stress; it's a package deal. The amount and quality of stress will depend on where you'll end up, but rest assured that you absolutely have to learn how to detach from the distractions and focus on what you're doing.

Typically, if a Basic hasn't had a 5-year plan prior to getting their cert, they make one soon after they land their first gig. Whether you end up working in the field or being stationary, it'll shape your future goals. And for better or worse, it's best being honest with yourself and ask why you want the job.

OP
OP
Feathered80

Feathered80

Forum Ride Along
I have horrible anxiety but I was so fortunate to have a lab instructor who had a sense of humor and a great group of classmates who always joked around, yet got to work when needed to. It definitely helped with my anxiety. I'm now a month into semester 1 of paramedic school and my anxiety is still a problem, along with confidence. But my preceptor keeps telling me that with time I'll become more confident. I get second guessing yourself. I rode on Monday night and I was absolutely second guessing myself, wondering if just maybe I should hold off. Or maybe just become a career EMT. I'm determined to stick with it, at least for this semester.

Talk to your instructors. I'm sure they probably will be more than willing to sit down with you and give you advice. You're not going to be the first anxious student they've had and you won't be the last. Also talk to your clinical preceptors. I'm sure they will try to make your more comfortable.

For studying, I took my lab manual with me on the trucks. Since I rode mostly nights, there was a lot of down time, and memorizing our skills was what I did to pass the time since we were technically not allowed to sleep (although I'm sure some people did).

HEY! Okay, so I am starting to get really comfortable within my class, with my peers and my instructors etc., I feel much more relaxed and so far and passing everything. I just signed up for my clinical hours, first shift starting October 4th. Now my anxiety is picking up again. How long did it take for you to feel confident with the EMT portion? Maybe it will take just as long, if not longer because now you will have more to learn as a paramedic...definitely don't give up! :)

OP
OP
Feathered80

Feathered80

Forum Ride Along
I just finished my emt class in early august, just got my state card. The way that i saw it was follow logic at the EMT-B level.. they cant breathe, help them breathe, they are bleeding everywhere, stop the bleeding from everywhere. Clinical Rotations are nothing to be scared of, where i was MOST people were willing to help, you have a few bitter people, but ignore them and move on. I also did this while working my "real job", to be completely honest- i did not have a ton of time to study, nor do i "excel" in school. Ask for help, instructors really try everything not to fail you. Also learn a lot from this website, DO NOT ask for answers to specific homework questions, BUT ask people to explain why xyz, happens, and use that to answer. Hopefully this helped :)

Thanks for all the advice! Instructor did say some people are not welcoming to students, but at anytime we feel threatened or uncomfortable because of how we are treated to text them and let them know to figure out what measures to take... they definitely want the students to feel like they are having a good, quality learning experience. Nice group of peeps here...I will definitely stick around :)

Jane

Forum Crew Member
HEY! Okay, so I am starting to get really comfortable within my class, with my peers and my instructors etc., I feel much more relaxed and so far and passing everything. I just signed up for my clinical hours, first shift starting October 4th. Now my anxiety is picking up again. How long did it take for you to feel confident with the EMT portion? Maybe it will take just as long, if not longer because now you will have more to learn as a paramedic...definitely don't give up! :)

I picked up extra clinical rotations during EMT school because I felt like I needed it, due to my anxiety and due to being a shy/timid person. I don't think I really became completely confident with the EMT portion, but I definitely was more confident than I was in the beginning. Now I'm back to square one due to the long hiatus between EMT and paramedic and not doing anything medical related in that hiatus besides a couple medical classes (Essentials A&P and Medical Terminology). The thing I'm having the most trouble with is actually jumping in and talking to patients. My preceptor says I'm making improvements, so that's good!

I definitely suggest picking up more clinical shifts if you have the time to do so. The more practice, the better.

Kenneth Young

Forum Ride Along
I had anxiety myself when taking my classes. Some of it will pass with experience, but I think respecting it and holding onto a little bit of it is important too. If you control it, and treat your patients appropriately then you will see it won't control you. As your time in EMS grows, there will be introduction to new concepts and practices. It should return, it shows that you care about your actions and how they affect your patients.

I've seen experienced Doctors get nervous about the placement of a chest tube. Then when I learned the skills I too got apprehensive. Controlling that feeling, and using it to guide you can be a positive thing.