HEMS in Southern California

WestBeat

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, I've run through the forums here and see that there is a pretty good contingent of SoCal flight representation here. I am a nurse who is interested in pursuing flight in the near future. I meet qualification standards and have done a ride along with both companies - AMC and GMR. I have casual contact with some current crew members as well. My question is, which company is better to work for? I don't see all that much of a difference from an outsider's perspective - but thats just it, I am an outsider. This is my career goal. As far as I can see myself, I will get in and never do anything else.

I appreciate any insights, or any direction where I may be lacking.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There are quite a few AMC members on the board. I haven’t seen any GMR/REACH members.

I can only speak to AMC and have no personal experience with REACH. I can only say what I see being on the flight line and talking to former REACH employees.

OP
OP
W

WestBeat

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for your response. I was hoping you'd chime in. I feel like I am leaning strongly AMC but was just curious what those on the inside felt.

I suppose you are saying that you guys are satisfied with your employment?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I am. The clinical training is good. The protocols are good and pretty aggressive with 99% of things being a standing order. The pay is very good at least as a medic. The company does a lot of research and has multiple publications. There is no pressure to fly and no pushback for declining a call. If you want to work a shift or two in another state, as long as you have the license the company will pay for everything.

OP
OP
W

WestBeat

Forum Ride Along
Glad to hear that safety is a focus. Thats another hard one to parse from the outside. Have you heard anything negative about Reach? I get the impression that they are more corporate, for better or worse. Again, difficult for me to articulate since I am inexperienced in the HEMS realm.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
A lot of what I have heard has been from former employees so it may not be accurate and I don’t want to put out what might be false information.

I do know they fly a lot more than we do with some of their bases routinely doing 60+ flights a month. I also know they will take calls that multiple of our aircraft/bases have turned down for weather or other concerns.

I also can’t speak to their clinical process as I have only heard stories that may or may not be true. Some of the medical equipment is the same: Zoll monitors, sapphire pumps. Some of the equipment is different. AMC is moving to the Hamilton T1 and REACH is switching to the Zoll vent. REACH down in Imperial county has started carrying blood as of 1-2 weeks ago. AMC has been carrying blood for 2 years at most bases nationwide. AMC, at least in SoCal, is in phase 1 of our new ECMO program.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My base was acquired by AMC at the beginning of the Summer. I’m pretty pleased and can honestly say they’ve taken care of all clinicians thus far who’ve stayed.

Coming from a true “Mom’n’Pop Shop” of a CCT program, it’s definitely a step back into Corporate America, but not a bad one by any means.

Same as @DesertMedic66 re: REACH. All info I’ve heard is third hand info. Have no personal opinions on their company.

OP
OP
W

WestBeat

Forum Ride Along
My base was acquired by AMC at the beginning of the Summer. I’m pretty pleased and can honestly say they’ve taken care of all clinicians thus far who’ve stayed.

Coming from a true “Mom’n’Pop Shop” of a CCT program, it’s definitely a step back into Corporate America, but not a bad one by any means.

Same as @DesertMedic66 re: REACH. All info I’ve heard is third hand info. Have no personal opinions on their company.
Thank you. I'm an easygoing dude so I'm not too worried about working for Corporate America so long as the end employee is happy.

Excited but nervous to pass through the process. Appreciate your thoughts.