Help with anatomy and physiology

Spedz

Forum Probie
Ok.....been a long time since I was in school and I have went over and over and over my book and having a little trouble remembering the Anatomy and Physiology along with medical terms. Any hints, tricks or silly crap that help me/us remember it......yes I know we are only in EMT-B school but we still have to learn it( I think its because its a pre-req. for the Medic classes even though we still have to take Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 on top of this) anyway I am (along with a few others in my class(the ones who haven't already took A&P 1 and 2) are struggling and, I think, feel a little behind the learning curve. I am hoping one of the many out there was/is in the same boat and can give us thoughts and ideas of how to get it in our minds and keep it there. (FYI please none of the just read it over and over stuff we have done that and we are starting a study group ALSO IF THIS WAS SOMEWHERE ELSE SORRY)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Do you know why there is no medical terminology class in medical school?

Total immersion.

Use it everyday, talk about it, randomly quiz each other, read about it.

It is like a language, if you use it all the time, it will become second nature.

If you just try to identify things in a question, it will not get the results you want.

Also, teaching other people what you know, conscript relatives, friends, etc will help.

Learn one, do one, teach one.

Flashcards never worked for me, all they do is entertain my daughter.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
1) Take the class. That should be a good foundation. Obviously it won't help in EMT school right now, but EMT does not go very in depth into A&P anyway.

2) Get yourself a good A&P book (or separate books) to go over.

3) Flash cards seem to help a lot of people. Organize them into body systems and work your way through whenever you have a spare moment.

4) Try and visualize or talk yourself through what your body is doing throughout the day. For example: I'm obviously breathing right now. So in my head, I'd walk myself through the process of ventilation and respiration. If I get hung up somewhere, I'd look it up. Repeat for all different systems and processes. That's the way I tend to go over A&P, works for me pretty well.

OP
OP
Spedz

Spedz

Forum Probie
Well thanks guys....I just came back from getting some index cards to make flash cards.....I figure it cant hurt.....but anyhow thanks for the advice thus far....back to making flash cards

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
I know what you mean we just did this chapter this week and only spent an hour on a&p and moved on. It is a very important chapter and I am worried about learning it myself

OP
OP
Spedz

Spedz

Forum Probie
I know what you mean we just did this chapter this week and only spent an hour on a&p and moved on. It is a very important chapter and I am worried about learning it myself

ya and the worst part of it is a week from monday we have the test over the first 12 chapters and I am worried about this part of the test :wacko:

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
^^ so how was your test? I did ok on the A&P section not so well on airway and legal sections:sad:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Before I took A&P I took a full semester (3 credits) of Medical Terminology. The book came with about 500 preprinted flashcards, divided by chapter. Got an A in the class and felt so much better in A&P.

8jimi8

CFRN
Ok.....been a long time since I was in school and I have went over and over and over my book and having a little trouble remembering the Anatomy and Physiology along with medical terms. Any hints, tricks or silly crap that help me/us remember it......yes I know we are only in EMT-B school but we still have to learn it( I think its because its a pre-req. for the Medic classes even though we still have to take Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 on top of this) anyway I am (along with a few others in my class(the ones who haven't already took A&P 1 and 2) are struggling and, I think, feel a little behind the learning curve. I am hoping one of the many out there was/is in the same boat and can give us thoughts and ideas of how to get it in our minds and keep it there. (FYI please none of the just read it over and over stuff we have done that and we are starting a study group ALSO IF THIS WAS SOMEWHERE ELSE SORRY)
take a smartphone or digital camera to your lab

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
The Anatomy/Physio i learned in EMT Class was very basic compared to the stuff i learned in a A&P College class the past few semesters...

if you have an Android or Iphone.. one app that is AMAZING is called speed anatomy..(they also have speed muscles,bones,angiology) Kinda makes memorizing the anatomy into a game and it helps tremendously!

Also see if your local community college has a Cadaver dissection class.. im taking one this semester and am learning alot more than those stupid cats we had to disect in anatomy..