Helicopter Stuff and Things

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
That picture mentions a fatality? What happened? Looks like he struck something?
According to facebook there was not a fatality, the original post said no injuries. I dont know why that word is in the link, the link didnt work anyway.

They hit a contruction fence with the rotor disc on takeoff.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
According to facebook there was not a fatality, the original post said no injuries. I dont know why that word is in the link, the link didnt work anyway.

Thanks for the update :)

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief

Sounds like they picked up that construction black mesh fence with the rotor arch during lift (FOD) and were able to set it down from fairly minimal altitude. Skids did exactly what they/re supposed to do.

OP
OP
VFlutter

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
A lot of people do not realize how significant the increase in rotor-wash can be with a dual engine aircraft. It is not uncommon for us to land at hospital helipads that station a 206/407 and blow FOD all over that is too close to the pad and we usually get the response "Well that never happens when our helicopter lands". One hospital had motorcycle parking next to the helipad until we blew one over, oops.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
A lot of people do not realize how significant the increase in rotor-wash can be with a dual engine aircraft. It is not uncommon for us to land at hospital helipads that station a 206/407 and blow FOD all over that is too close to the pad and we usually get the response "Well that never happens when our helicopter lands". One hospital had motorcycle parking next to the helipad until we blew one over, oops.
And some of us worked smash and crash crew under SH-53's and CH-46's. Have yet to meet a civilian HEMS unit with equivalent rotor wash.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

We encounter a lot of 206 pilots that either dont know that or dont care, we do a lot of go arounds for open doors, we blew a moped over recently, that was kind of funny.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Made another visit to one of those rare destinations. View attachment 5042
Great view! From what I have found, that brick/castle-looking building at the bottom right is the McKinley Classical Leadership Academy High School.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
At my last program we flew 430's for the first couple years I was there. The difference between the space that machine required compared to the surrounding programs' A-Stars and 206's was an issue sometimes.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I miss flying around in my 212 and 214. The "big man's" choice platform....LOL

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
49FAB6F7-1F59-4C2B-8124-27CF688758FA.jpeg

A11EE4BB-AB4B-4FF9-A871-059117686135.jpeg

PD was nice enough to close down the road in front of the hospital for us to land at since there was no pad.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I appreciate the chat, but I'm going to need to see more pictures of helicopters.

Now we know how to distract MMiz. 🚁