Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

EMT508

Forum Ride Along
Just took my NREMT-B today and passed. Went all the way to the 120 question. So you can pass at 120 questions. I failed twice before passing on this go. So anything is possible just study and you have the world at your fingertips just go get it.

KYBlue0520

Forum Ride Along
It also took me three tries to pass. And I won't lie--- after the second attempt I was really discouraged. I KNEW I was strong in my knowledge, but suddenly I found myself second guessing myself.

I realized later on, what I had to study for this NREMT was HOW to take this exam. The way the questions are presented, it's set up to distract you. Each question has this "formula" if you will with the fluff info to distract you and the vital info you need--- just like it would be in real life.

It's a tough exam. But it's not impossible.
Good Luck!!

Wings91

Forum Probie
Took the exam a few days ago, passed at 120.
Some pass at around 70, others fail at 100+..
For those who haven't passed, I practically re-read the entire medical/trauma/OB sections just to be 110% sure instead of 98%.

If you've read the entire EMT book during your course, my best advice would be to focus on all areas in which you consider your knowledge "below average" or "average", and them skim through minor/major details of your "above average" knowledge. If you're registered with "mybradylab", "emstesting", "emtprep" or something similar, those tools are excellent and are quite similar to the NREMT.

If you haven't read or at least covered >90% of the book, this exam will find your weak areas and a way to fail you. Knowledge is power!

note : Make sure you don't neglect those first and last few chapters on legal problems, ambulance op's, etc. !
Good luck!

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Is jblearning the best study guide ?

Might be subjective, but it worked for me. I passed first time using that as a study guide. Although I was a study freak the entire course. Read everything and then re-read. I just kept doing the questions over and over until I got 100% on everything. Good luck

Isaac Suarez

Forum Ride Along
Is jblearning the best study guide ?
i didn't pass the first time i took my National Registry. so i asked some buddies who had passed and they all recommended emt-national-training.com. i used this as well and also used my book for a reference. i passed my National Registry after 75 questions. i highly recommend this website. and its a money back guarentee.

Max K Delbruck

Forum Ride Along
Just finished taking my second run at the Basic Exam. After the first try I tried a web supplement but I'm lucky that my JBLearning hasn't expired yet! The eWorkbook has been proving useful. Get my results tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed

FirefighterEMTP

Forum Ride Along
Took NREMT-B on Wednesday the 19th

I went into the test feeling pretty good about the class I passed and everything else. I didn't freak myself out on studying so hard that I got aggrivated. Well, I noticed I had a lot of questions pertaining to patient scenarios with my answers being what would I do next in terms of using a BVM or 15 LPM via NRB. I got booted at number 123 I beleive. I didn't feel too good about the test.

So I get to work this morning and check the website, and there it is. FAILED. So Now I'm wondering, did I not study enough? I'm a pretty good test taker and I used the KAPLAN book a lot, but I noticed that the book was very very easy. I've been searching the forums for other study materials besides the tons of notes I have. I hear the BRADY books are good to use. But all in all I have been bummed the whole day b/c I was hoping to knock this one out of the park on the first try. Any advice? Thanks!

Tests are abstract things, usually written by people with ego problems; we are stuck with that. Also as someone else said, the questions are worded in weird ways that often are actually asking (literally) something else than what they mean, so sometimes the correct answer is wrong. Look, I failed a few physical agility tests before I passed one. If you want it, you go out and do it again. A very helpful book I found is: "The 60-second EMT" subtitle "Rapid BLS/ALS Assessment, Diagnosis & Triage" by Bosker. Weins, & Sequira. Look for a newer edition than mine, 1996, published by Mosby. It's no BS, down and dirty, reality-based, very concise, and gives you a practical mindset and walkthru of most-crucial-essentials, which I found helped me reason-out test answers, and then you can filter which stupid multi-choice answer has all the right parts and none of the wrong or irrelevant extras. They love to do that, throw in a few red-herrings to confuse you.

You can do this, and you will. You can only get better. Refuse to hold on to anger, resentment, disappointment; these will only slow you down. Take the time you need, and program yourself with positive thoughts. Also helpful for "rote" stuf - make tapes/recordings of information and fact, play them around the house, on an iPod while you mow the yard, work out, etc. Let it quietly brainwash you with the boring stuff. This works. Just be sure it's correct and clear and brief - no extra words. Best to you. I have complete faith for you.

Ace Mike

Forum Probie
I took my NREMT B test yesterday and got cut kicked off at 120 questions, I was sure I failed and I found out that I passed first try, My advice is study and know obgyn/medical assessment/and trauma. Before I took my test I used emtprep for a week and it shows your weakness and what category you need to focus more on.

Logan Bounds

Forum Ride Along
it's not that the information was "unfamiliar." I probably just read the questions either too fast or not carefully enough. I remembered some of the questions and took a look around the forums for the right answers b/c those same questions were posted. Turned out, I wasn't picking the question apart correctly. I didn't think the test was way too difficult. It's just that with the adapative nature of the test itself, some of the questions are tricky and can throw you off. That's just how the test is designed in my opinion. There were at least two right answers in most of my questions, which sucks.

What I'm looking forward to now is the letter I'll be receiving which will highlight my strengths and weaknesses. Maybe then I'll have a better idea of what threw me off. I have two fresh weeks to gear up and go. Thanks for the input everyone.

When I took the test I remember a few of the questions that would have appropriate answers but remembering the steps to the equation is what mattered most. So times our minds are very associative and if we aren't paying close attention we end up missing the point entirely. Advice from me is to study the material not for the test, but for those situations we all face in the field that might stump us. Study to have the skill sets to solve unfimiliar things with your knowledge.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
When taking the NREMT it all boils down to a) knowledge, and b) common sense. The knowledge is your ability to recognize the components of each given scenario and make the right decision (ergo, choose the proper answer) and the common sense comes into play when you encounter an unfamiliar term or are on a fence about choosing the best answer. It makes little difference if you memorized the entire bloody book and/or a few study guides, because as long as you do not understand the logic behind the test, you'll keep on failing. There is only so much you can do as an EMT as far as scope of practice goes, and more than a few of the questions on NREMT will be tailored specifically towards it. So long story short - ABC -> O2 -> any scenario-specific treatment -> transportation decision, and everything in between.

EMTinWA

Forum Ride Along
I passed. My strategy was to study my butt off but also to memorize a few things backwards and forwards. Now to find a job...

Harleyjon

Forum Probie
13335975_1146221255397961_8416781022643107491_n.jpg

Memorize your senario/assessment flochart. ABC's and life threats (what is a life threat you ask? BRIGHT RED SPURTING BLOOD) everybody gets O2 and if they called an ambulance they get rapid T/P. If you passed the class, you know this stuff. I thought for sure that I was in way over my head by the end of class. I didn't even have money to spend for study material. I SCOURED the internet for all the free info that I could find. YES THERE IS SOME JUNK OUT THERE, DONT LET IT FOOL YOU, but there is A LOT of good stuff too. My class was on line (in another state) with the last week I had to travel to the school for all the hands on and final. I passed! then I went home and tested national registry and passed the first time. ME WITH NO MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE AT All to begin with. IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU! MY dad used to say "THE HARD STUFF TAKES A WHILE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A LITTLE BIT LONGER. Keep up the good fight and KNOW that you can succeed.

ForgottenNoble

Forum Ride Along
This is a good discussion. I'm about to take the written part of my nremt soon.

Alyx

Forum Ride Along
studying for nremt

i am an awful test taker. had 0 problems passing the skills practicals but failed the written test on my first try. i am thinking about trying to use EMTPrep .com . does anyone feedback on this?
I love it

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Has anyone had sucess with the AEMT test. Looking for any final pointers before my second attempt where I scored near passing in every scetion except trauma. Im using medic tests and emtprep along with my school giving us a sub to emstesting which honestly i dont find as great as the other two. Pretty nervous but feel i have a good grasp on the materials.

ODIE

Forum Probie
Sorry to hear about that. DON'T GIVE UP!!!! If you know EMTs in your area, ask them for help. I personally had a pair that drilled me day in and day out and I did just fine. Not all of us are good at test taking....I am HORRIBLE at taking tests....part of it is mental, try to relax....yes its a stressful test, but then so are many pts. If you know the academics really well it may be mental....work on remaining calm.....hell if you can find a class that can assist you in test taking try that. I hope this helps, again best of luck and don't give up hope!

I'm so glad there's still people with positive attitudes like me. :)

gcosta

Forum Ride Along
Has anyone had sucess with the AEMT test. Looking for any final pointers before my second attempt where I scored near passing in every scetion except trauma. Im using medic tests and emtprep along with my school giving us a sub to emstesting which honestly i dont find as great as the other two. Pretty nervous but feel i have a good grasp on the materials.

gcosta

Forum Ride Along
Have you tried EMTQuiz.com? I'm trying to prepare myself for testing in May. Just wondering if it's any good and or worth getting it.

angmitchell1206

Forum Ride Along
I am getting ready to take my NREMT. I have taken once and didn't make it, Whats a good study guide to look over, what are some good study tips, I studied but just not sure what happened other then me not being a good test taker.