Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

kaaatielove

Forum Crew Member
Thanks! You too! Yes Kaplan book was a waste of money. I dont know why ALS questions were on it if it was "out of our scope of practice". I thought that we were "non-invasive". It would have been one thing if the multiple choice gave you "none of the above" but there wasn't anything like that! Crazy! Good luck to you!

Thanks.. I actually passed it on my first attempt.. Working in a critical care setting for 6+ years has helped me tremendously.. I start paramedic on wednesday, hoping my knowledge will come in handy there too :)

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
I justcread the summary of each vhapter. also, read tge scenarios, u wouldnt give meds without knowing the exact cause, chest pain and trouble breathing? calm pt down.

Sent from Android Browser

Mindy2003

Forum Ride Along
I take my National test on Wednesday scared to death . I only have. Been studying from my class book Jb learning hopefully ill be prepared!

ardsranger

Forum Probie
I take my National test on Wednesday scared to death . I only have. Been studying from my class book Jb learning hopefully ill be prepared!

Thats a very good book
just relax and take it
What I do on test is take a "blank sheet" of paper in my testing sites area its a small white board.

put

A B C D
X - - X

X Means not right
- means possible on every question your not sure of

or
A B C D
- X - -
READ EVERY ANSWER.
it will help you make sure you don't miss a question with
EXCEPT ( or NOT) ..... and BY just reading the first answer and get the question wrong.

simple test taking skills like that will help alot on test

Last edited by a moderator:

JBenitez

Forum Ride Along
Help!!!

I have taken the NREMT-B for the 5th time today for I have failed the last 4. I passed the EMT-B course with an A, but can't seem to pass the NREMT-B. I have put in countless hours of studying and have taken numerous practice test, and I seem to do fine but I have this strong feeling I did not pass the 5th NREMT-B CBT test. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated, as I need all the help I can get. :sad:

Woodstuck

Forum Probie
Nremt

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh NREMT I passed after about 25 minutes! I was told if it cuts off quick, it could turn out good or bad! I was happy it went good for me! To all those taking it study air way I have heard many are getting hung up on this! Good luck all of you! What helped me most is I Prayed before I took the test!

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
It all comes down to this - You will walk out feeling absolutely sure that you failed, but if you know the material at an appropriate level you will pass. If you don't, you won't. It's that simple. No tricks. No gimmicks. No nothing aside from knowing what you're supposed to know in order to be an acceptably competent rookie EMT.

So my recommendation to all of you who are worrying about passing the test is that you spend more time studying and reviewing, and less time worrying about how much time you have to test or how many questions you'll answer before the test ends or whatever other distractions you're worried about.

Very good advice, thanks.

ReelFilmGeek

Forum Ride Along
If you're passing JB Learning with a 90% in every section, and you understand WHY your answer is correct, you should be ok. As long as you're not just memorizing answers. :)

I am confused, where do I find these tests on JB Learning? I see people talk about it on here but I am confused what test you all are talking about.

Carby187inf

Forum Ride Along
know of any good test practice sites other then emstesting.com? I failed my frist attempt at the registry exam and have came to conclusion that emstesting.com is garbage. each time I take a section I think I did really well then find out I bombed it. itd be nice if it actually told me what I got wrong. the only other thing I use is that emt review plus app for my phone. thanks

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
know of any good test practice sites other then emstesting.com? I failed my frist attempt at the registry exam and have came to conclusion that emstesting.com is garbage. each time I take a section I think I did really well then find out I bombed it. itd be nice if it actually told me what I got wrong. the only other thing I use is that emt review plus app for my phone. thanks

Yes, read through this thread and do a quick forum search. This question gets asked multiple times a week, which is why this thread is a sticky. That said, JB learning has a great website that really helped me with the medic exam. Also read through your book to study things you may be rusty on.

Good luck next time and welcome to the site!

Tima

Forum Ride Along
PASSED EMT-B ON 3rd TRY

I am going to try to give you the BEST STUDY TIPS for NREMT possible. I failed it twice and passed the 3rd time at 70 questions

1) First attempt (failed at 123 questions):
AIRWAY – FAILED
CARDIOLOGY – FAILED
TRAUMA – FAILED
MEDICAL – PASSED
OPERATIONS – FAILED

How I studied (studied for 3 weeks):
Took the NREMT right after passing UCLA Pre-Hospital Care Course by just reviewing my notes.

2) Second Attempt (failed at 124 questions):
AIRWAY – FAILED
CARDIOLOGY – PASSED
TRAUMA – PASSED
MEDICAL – PASSED
OPERATIONS – FAILED

How I studied (studied for 1 month):
Used JBlearning Study Prep and slightly reviewed my class notes.

3) Third Attempt (passed at 70 questions; almost 2 years after my class):
AIRWAY – PASSED
CARDIOLOGY – PASSED
TRAUMA – PASSED
MEDICAL – PASSED
OPERATIONS – PASSED

How I studied (studied for 3 months):
1) EMT-B Audio Lecture (you can get it on Amazon) – can’t recommend this enough! This really brought the whole course together for me. I listened to all the lectures twice in my car and listened to certain lectures such as obstetrics, airway, shock and diabetic emergencies more than twice.
2) EMT National Standard Curriculum (free PDF) – read the whole thing (it really isn’t a lot). Highly recommended!
3) AAOS 10th Edition Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured Textbook – read primarily “You are the Provider” scenarios for most chapters and the stuff that’s at the end of each chapter. This really prepares you for the type of questions you will see on the NREMT. Don’t forget to go over “Assessment” and “Emergency Care” at the end of the chapters. Highly recommended!
4) UCLA Skills Book – I got this with my UCLA Pre-Hospital Care class. I read all the skills, but not necessarily memorized everything. I found this extremely helpful!
5) EMT Prep Test Prep – this has a lot of scenario questions but I DO NOT recommend it. Sure it has some scenario questions, but it crashes a lot and logs you out when you are trying to review your responses. I liked JBlearning much better, so get JBlearning instead! You won’t regret it.

Good Luck!

ChewyEMS

Forum Probie
These are good responses. Always ABCs first. For the NREMT o2 15lpm if breathing adequately. Know trauma and patient assessment. I passed first attempt by following these principles. Obviously there is more and there are some great posts here. KISS everytime.

Crash Doctor

Forum Ride Along
I just took the NREMT-B and found it very interesting. I have a 20+ years of experience as a Paramedic (supervisor, trainer), Firefighter, and LEO. I let my certs drop. (Bad mistake)! I am looking to get back on the road a bit and had to retake my EMT training. I in the classroom I found I had to stop thinking like a paramedic and not treat the patient but memorize the book. It was tough, especially since things have changed a bit with time. I did it though and graduated will a 100% average. I studied hard and enjoyed the journey again. Then I started to study for the NREMT exam. I took it within 2 weeks of graduating. When the first question came on screen I was taken back a bit.. I had to start treating patients again! I had trained myself to answer according to what the book had told me to do and now I was faced with real patient scenarios that were different from the book. I must agree with some of the other post that some of the answers I had to choose from were not (IMO) the best treatment, but I had to choose the best of the worst. It was challenging. I assume the test is getting us to think like an EMT in the field and not just sitting in front of a book. It does that! I thought on the way to take the exam I should be able to pass. I studied hard and was prepared. The examiner told me I may be cut off with only 70 questions answered. To be honest, I thought I would pass in 70-80. After my test cut off at 70 I was not really sure if I had passed. I knew many of the answers I had given were my "best, educated guess". I believe the exam is trying to find out how we react in the field with the knowledge we learned in class. I does a good job at that! It will truly pull out of you what is stored in there.. I passed.

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
The computer asked a lot of airway questions, but one thing to keep in mind is the patient's vitals if the breathing is shallow and and labored and resps are 8 below or 28 above then you use a BVM. that is in a unresponsive patient as well.

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I took my EMT-B. Test 9 hours ago. 71 cut me off, but I did not see the results on NREMT I feel confident. That I passed I see that the average passing is around 70-80 but some have passed in the 100 question range. I hear people say that if you get cut off early you did fine. And if you are still taking the test and you maxed it out odds are you may have to retake it. But it is based on your own ability.

LovelyAngel339

Forum Ride Along
I've been using the JB Learning website along side my Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured book. I've also used emt-national-training.com. It not old give you a bunch of questions but it also let's you take an NREMT practice exam to see how you're doing. I'll be taking my test for the second time on the 25th. Here we go again!

jteeters

Forum Crew Member
I borrowed a book from a former coworker of mine called Emergency Medical Technician: A Crash Course. It's published by REA and it's pretty much the entire class condensed down in outline form. If you buy the book you get a code to a practice test. If you choose not to buy the book and still want to take the practice test (which I did), it costs like 8 dollars to do and it tells you where you're strongest and weakest. I did this and just passed by NREMT written the first time.