having a hard time getting work as an emt, should i just start the medic process?

OP
OP
freebyrd

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
well here is what happened so far

i went to the ambulance company where i went to school for an interview that they scheduled for me last week,

there was no testing or scenarios or anything
they only asked me one medical related question.

they have all my records they have all my test scores i did my practicals with this company so i guess they know all they need to know about my abilities and they just said they wanted to get to know me,

i conducted many interviews like this myself when i was a manager for walmart so i was pretty familiar with the formula
the standard stuff,
why do you want to work here?
what are your long term goals?
what is your availability like?
so they gave me a sheet that says day after tomorrow they are conducting the physical portion of the interview process at the local football stadium.
and to expect a call in the next 24 hrs
i am not worried about the physical portion, i am in pretty good shape.
it consists of
lifting 250 lbs with a partner on a backboard
walking 88 stairs carrying a cardiac monitor and treatment box and doing 2 minutes of chest compressions on a manikin
walking 200 feet while carrying a gurney to a simulated life flight LZ
then once you pass that there is a second interview with a general manager at which point you will be compared to other applicants and offered a position,
i expect all to go well

anderson221

Forum Ride Along
you can find all information that you needed here emttrainingcenter.org
everything you need is there..

thanks..

Artst10

Forum Crew Member
Maybe I should repost my employment issues

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 20 minutes after i posted this thread the local ambulance company where i did my emt classes called me for an interview on august 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!

I wonder if it would work for me :) I graduated last August with my EMT Basic , was MA licensed in March and now have my National certs. The only trouble I'm having is getting a position with no prior EMT experience. I've been a first responder for 7 years as a lifeguard so I know I can respond in an emergency. Now with the closing of two NH ambulance companies my competition just went way up. I am very sorry for those who will be loosing their employment but I would think they'd have a greater chance to get another job than those without the experience.

OP
OP
freebyrd

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
kind of bummed, they decided not to advance me to the second round,
i feel like i'm playing jeopardy :sad:

Kale

Forum Probie
Don't be too discouraged man, it can take a lot of time and a few false starts before you finally get your first job. I got my NREMT last October, am certified in two different states (AZ and CA) and was unable to find work in either of them until, literally, 2 weeks ago. I got a phone call from an ambo company here in AZ that had passed me over months earlier (stating that while I was "successful in their recruiting process, they were unable to offer me a position at this time"). I was, to say the least, completely taken by surprise.

Before that I was offered only a few interviews - there's very few options in AZ to begin with, especially as we don't have tons of ITF-only companies and EMS is mainly FD dominated - one of which I had to forfeit because it was a reserve position and required me to live 30 mins or less from the station when I lived about two hours away.

In CA, it was one wall after another, even with IFT only companies.

In short, it sucks out there right now. I was also an ace in my EMT course and I came out of that class with something of an expectation to get a job within a couple of months. It didn't pan out that way but it did eventually pan out. Keep at it and don't lose heart. Good luck!

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
If you are near LA, PM me and you will have a job.

sent from my mobile command center. or phone. whatever.

EMTBHillbilly

Forum Probie
Lots of opinion here, so let me ad mine.

I've been working as an EMT on an ALS 911 truck for the past 8 months. Prior to that I had absolutely no experience in EMS, fire fighting, healthcare, etc.
I am starting medic school in a couple weeks. Without the 8 months experience working with some great people who taught me a lot, I can't imagine having a clue in medic school or how I could function when I get out.
I'm very grateful for my experience.
I know good medics who had no experience before medic school and bad medics who had lots of EMT experience.

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
I should specify. This bums me out since I just applied for two different ED-tech jobs that are listed as openings requesting employment which made me feel somewhat hopeful, buuuuut this just crushes those dreams, I'm not even getting my hopes up for a phone call :(