Have any of you ever heard of this course ?

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
If you're solely worried about passing the test, go to Borders and buy a book with several tests in it. After the third or fourth test, you'll notice your "key words" and magic phrases. These classes are a total waste of money if they cost any more than the price of a book. If you can't pass a test in a nice, quiet, controlled environment that gives you very black and white scenarios, imagine what you will do in a chaotic scene where there is no black/white situations.

Listen, there is no magic formula for passing these tests other than hard work, study, and preparation. It just seems to me like you're trying to skate by on this test, pass it, and be happy as a mediocre (at best) medic. I hope I'm wrong...I hope you want to not only ace this class, but to further your medical education. Many of the critics here have time and time again advocated stronger education and the advancement of the paramedic profession. It is tough, though, to make advancements in our profession when people are happy with the minimum and are out there providing shoddy care - which we have seen time and time again.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Go take the test and see if you have the knowledge in your head. If you fail, then you can think about the course.
^ Best possible advice. Test yourself. Test your knowledge. Test your education. Test you test taking skills. Test the quality of your education. If you go cramming for an artificial edge, you invalidate all of those factors. If you take this course, then when you tell people "I passed the first time so my school is teh aw3some!" is is meaningless, because you did not rely solely on your school for preparation.

The difference between the national first-time pass rate and this guy's pass rate is 18 percent. Not really sure that's worth it, considering that nearly three out of every four people pass it the first time without his course. And that includes all those people who aren't nearly as smart as you and went to a crappy ten-week course at Texas A&M. Considering those numbers, I really don't see any reason that you should lack confidence unless you feel that your education and intelligence are far below that of 70 percent of paramedics in the US, or if you went to Texas A&M.

I have talked to people who attended Jon's course, and I hear mixed reviews. Seems to be a nice guy who presents an enjoyable program. But opinions are about fifty-fifty on the quality of his course. It seems to be basically split between those who were going to pass anyhow, and thought it was a waste of time, and those who are dummies from crappy schools, who felt he was their saviour. The consensus I have come to is simply, if it's not broke, don't fix it. If you are the one out of four people who fail, then go back and take the course. It will give you that extra edge. You'll lose a whole couple months as a medic. Big deal. You'll be a better medic for having survived that process. There is a reason that CE credit is given for taking the NR. It is an educational experience.

Were you going up to Arlington for the course (where Jon lives), or is he holding one down south?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
If you're solely worried about passing the test, go to Borders and buy a book with several tests in it. After the third or fourth test, you'll notice your "key words" and magic phrases.

HAHA, I've bought every "pass paramedic" book there is I believe. This means the world to me, and Im extremely nervous. I've got at least 25 books, 10 dvd's, subscribed to jems, and numerous subscriptions to nremt prep websites....LOL. All Ive done is study for the last year, and studied very hard I might add. I believe I have the knowledge, in a way, and then theres the part of me who knows theres sooooooooo much more out there that I dont know, that I will keep learning until I leave ems all together. Im sure there are going to be mean people who tell me Im not being confident in myself, but OH WELL. I want this so bad, and I'll do everything I can to know as much as I can before my test.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
HAHA, I've bought every "pass paramedic" book there is I believe. This means the world to me, and Im extremely nervous. I've got at least 25 books, 10 dvd's, subscribed to jems, and numerous subscriptions to nremt prep websites....LOL. All Ive done is study for the last year, and studied very hard I might add. I believe I have the knowledge, in a way, and then theres the part of me who knows theres sooooooooo much more out there that I dont know, that I will keep learning until I leave ems all together. Im sure there are going to be mean people who tell me Im not being confident in myself, but OH WELL. I want this so bad, and I'll do everything I can to know as much as I can before my test.

maybe you should spend a day or two relaxing?

Sasha

Forum Chief
subscribed to jems,

Just a little bit of advice, if you want to be taken seriously don't use JEMS as your source of refrence or education.

I've subscribed JAMA (http://jama.ama-assn.org/) and a couple of nursing journals. Medicine is medicine, prehospital or in the hospital and the articles aren't as watered down and don't twist the studies like JEMS tends to.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Just a little bit of advice, if you want to be taken seriously don't use JEMS as your source of refrence or education.
I think its better to be reading something than nothing, most paramedics I know read anything other than medical journals.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
His 16 hr prep class is NOT a cram session in anyway. He goes over key topics, explains things in a way that is much easier to learn and retain. You can take the course live over a orriod of 2 days (8 hr each day) or recorded over a period of 7 days and take your time on it.