Have any of you ever heard of this course ?

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
The 2 day national exam prep by Jon Puryear ? And if any of you have taken it, did it help. He offers this course about 8 times a year around the US. He has an 88% pass rate for 1st time paramedic test takers. Let me know if you know anything about this course. Im signed up to take it this weekend, but its expensive for me to drive, tuition, lodging, and food. Just wanted to get some insite about it before I take the jump and pay for all of it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
nver heard of it, but considering how easy the exam is, it is probably a waste of money if you had a good education.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I've heard of this course and some of my classmates plan to take it before their state. I'm under the theory that if you truly know your stuff and are an educated graduate paramedic, you wont need it. If you DO need such a class, you're not passing the test because of your knowledge, you're passing the test because of your memorization skills.

I wouldn't take it, but that's just me.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard of this course and some of my classmates plan to take it before their state. I'm under the theory that if you truly know your stuff and are an educated graduate paramedic, you wont need it. If you DO need such a class, you're not passing the test because of your knowledge, you're passing the test because of your memorization skills and are a trained graduate paramedic.

I wouldn't take it, but that's just me.

What you are paying for is the confidence building.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
nver heard of it, but considering how easy the exam is, it is probably a waste of money if you had a good education.

So, its easy ? Ive heard it was really vague, and part of passing it depends strictly on your test taking skills, which I dont have good ones. lol. Do you think thats true ?

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
If you DO need such a class, you're not passing the test because of your knowledge, you're passing the test because of your memorization skills.

Isnt that how you get to "know your stuff" ? Everything we learn, we have to memorize it, and work at it, and memorize it some more, until it becomes just second nature, right ???

Sasha

Forum Chief
Isnt that how you get to "know your stuff" ? Everything we learn, we have to memorize it, and work at it, and memorize it some more, until it becomes just second nature, right ???

If you've learned how to be a paramedic, you shouldn't need the cram class before the test.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Ideally you will understand the material so that rather than memorizing, you are able to critically think matters through. Memorization is a poor form of education. But unfortunately it is very common as "acceptable" EMS education I am sorry to say.

If your school demanded you memorize without asking you to know the theory of what you were memorizing I would demand money back.

Some of the questions are vague, but if you remember order of operation (A before B before C) have a good understanding of the theories in the text, and remember that the test is based around emergencies, you should do well.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
If you've learned how to be a paramedic, you shouldn't need the cram class before the test.

Its strickly a prep course, he talks about key words, and test taking skills, what to watch for, goes over certain things like giving you a crap load of mnemonics to help you remember tedious stuff , that kind of thing, not a cram session, kind of like a refresher. So exaclty how do YOU learn things, if you dont memorize? And not only that, but I've been "cramming for the last year and a half, LOL. I feel like I study and study and study, and I just want to pass this thing and get it out of the way.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Its strickly a prep course, he talks about key words, and test taking skills, what to watch for, goes over certain things like giving you a crap load of mnemonics to help you remember tedious stuff , that kind of thing, not a cram session, kind of like a refresher. So exaclty how do YOU learn things, if you dont memorize? And not only that, but I've been "cramming for the last year and a half, LOL. I feel like I study and study and study, and I just want to pass this thing and get it out of the way.

if you have been studying that much, you will probably be ok

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Ideally you will understand the material so that rather than memorizing, you are able to critically think matters through. Memorization is a poor form of education. But unfortunately it is very common as "acceptable" EMS education I am sorry to say.

If your school demanded you memorize without asking you to know the theory of what you were memorizing I would demand money back.

Some of the questions are vague, but if you remember order of operation (A before B before C) have a good understanding of the theories in the text, and remember that the test is based around emergencies, you should do well.

Thanks for that, Im sooooo nervous.

Sasha

Forum Chief

I learn by reading and understanding and asking questions, not by memorizing.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Then what the heck is your memory for anyway ? Storing things, AKA memorization.

How far into your program are you ?

I'll be done March 18th.

reaper

Working Bum
As Sasha pointed out, There is a course just like this in FL. It is geared toward the state test. I tell everyone that asks about it the same thing. Go take the test and see if you have the knowledge in your head. If you fail, then you can think about the course.

Most that have taken my advice find that they had the knowledge and passed on the first try. You may be surprised at what you know, but think you don't!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

The difference between education and training.

For example shock: one can memorize the basic answer of inadequate tissue perfusion then the semantics of the body is clammy, pale and cool. Treatment with oxygen, maintain warmth and the infamous myth of trendelenburg, IV's and rapid transport per HEMS to a Level I.
or
One can be taught poor cellular metabolism, glucose is deprived, by products of lactic acid and due to such oxygen is deprived. The body will cool down and use the brown fat cells for increased metabolism causing shivering and increased metabolism so one will need to maintain an environment of warmth. The acetylcholine response will cause the sphincters of the capillary system to close causing shunting and poor peripheral circulation with preservation of the central circulation causing paleness and poor capillary refill. RBC's are responsible for transport of oxygen and without such the brain and organs will die. Inadequate perfusion and poor oxygenation at the cellular level will cause inadequate tissue perfusion causing cyanosis. The cyanosis does not occur until <60 torr, which is tell tale sign. Oxygen should be administered to help enrich what little RBC's are left. Tredelenburg will not work as presumed because the valve's within the peripheral venous system that prevents backflow, even with gravity. IV's for rapid fluid replacement is futile for true hemmorraging, but needed for whole blood replacement. Rarely, there are few instances that need a Level I as there is no difference in a Level I and II except research.

Yeah, its the same.. right?

R/r 911

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The difference between education and training.

For example shock: one can memorize the basic answer of inadequate tissue perfusion then the semantics of the body is clammy, pale and cool. Treatment with oxygen, maintain warmth and the infamous myth of trendelenburg, IV's and rapid transport per HEMS to a Level I.
or
One can be taught poor cellular metabolism, glucose is deprived, by products of lactic acid and due to such oxygen is deprived. The body will cool down and use the brown fat cells for increased metabolism causing shivering and increased metabolism so one will need to maintain an environment of warmth. The acetylcholine response will cause the sphincters of the capillary system to close causing shunting and poor peripheral circulation with preservation of the central circulation causing paleness and poor capillary refill. RBC's are responsible for transport of oxygen and without such the brain and organs will die. Inadequate perfusion and poor oxygenation at the cellular level will cause inadequate tissue perfusion causing cyanosis. The cyanosis does not occur until <60 torr, which is tell tale sign. Oxygen should be administered to help enrich what little RBC's are left. Tredelenburg will not work as presumed because the valve's within the peripheral venous system that prevents backflow, even with gravity. IV's for rapid fluid replacement is futile for true hemmorraging, but needed for whole blood replacement. Rarely, there are few instances that need a Level I as there is no difference in a Level I and II except research.

Yeah, its the same.. right?

R/r 911

you're just giving an example right? Both look about the same to me.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
IV's for rapid fluid replacement is futile for true hemmorraging, but needed for whole blood replacement. Rarely, there are few instances that need a Level I as there is no difference in a Level I and II except research.
Are fluids useful for high-space shock, though?
I didn't quite understand the venous valves part. I'd imagine valves in extremities would block blood flow away from heart, but gravity would help it flow towards the heart. Why does not that happen? Or did you mean head and neck veins?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
you're just giving an example right? Both look about the same to me.
They are the same for those that are educated and understand. Ask the one that memorizes material and the definition of shock and see what their answer and why it is so.

Are fluids useful for high-space shock, though?
I didn't quite understand the venous valves part. I'd imagine valves in extremities would block blood flow away from heart, but gravity would help it flow towards the heart. Why does not that happen? Or did you mean head and neck veins?

There are valves in all peripheral circulation as well. Ever noticed varicose veins? The blood is entrapped within the vein and "backwash" .. the same thing that develops hemorrhoids. Stasis or pooling due to poor perfusion does not allow enough pressure to open the valves or enough to be significant enough.

R/r 911