Has anyone ever passed the NREMT-P exam with 150 questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsEMT

Forum Probie
I took my registry for paramedic today and I was given 150 questions. I have a bad feeling that I failed it because it seems like a lot of questions. I also noticed that I got asked some questions asking something that I've never even heard of. What are your experiences?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
No sir. Never.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yes maam, always. :eek:

In truth yes many have passed at 150. The number does not tell you if you pass or fail. Some have failed when it stopped at 80.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Every now and again somebody gets all 150 questions for the purpose of validating the computer algorithm.

Some of us old people always had 150 questions. On a stone dot matrix tablet.
(changing an answer was such a pain when you had to fill in the hole you chipped out.) ;)

Anjel

Forum Angel
I took my registry for paramedic today and I was given 150 questions. I have a bad feeling that I failed it because it seems like a lot of questions. I also noticed that I got asked some questions asking something that I've never even heard of. What are your experiences?

Did you get asked a lot of same type of questions?

That could be it's way of trying to see if you know the stuff.

OP
OP
M

MsEMT

Forum Probie
No it didn't ask me any question twice. However it asked me similar questions. There were things on that test that I've never heard of. I was actually pretty pissed off when I finished. I know I had the last question right, but I know that doesn't really mean anything. Still haven't gotten my results yet so I guess I will be getting them tomorrow. The wait is horrible. I'll let you all know how I did.

medic417

The Truth Provider
No it didn't ask me any question twice. However it asked me similar questions. There were things on that test that I've never heard of. I was actually pretty pissed off when I finished. I know I had the last question right, but I know that doesn't really mean anything. Still haven't gotten my results yet so I guess I will be getting them tomorrow. The wait is horrible. I'll let you all know how I did.

Check the NR site tonight they sometimes post results Sunday evening. If not should be there first thing business hours Monday.

If there were a number of questions you had never heard of your program must have done bad job teaching or (and please don't take offense) you did not do enough personal study.

OP
OP
M

MsEMT

Forum Probie
Check the NR site tonight they sometimes post results Sunday evening. If not should be there first thing business hours Monday.

If there were a number of questions you had never heard of your program must have done bad job teaching or (and please don't take offense) you did not do enough personal study.

No offense taken. If I fail it I won't be putting the blame on anyone but I have been studying every chance I get. Other people have left the exam feeling pissed off like me and also said that there were things that they never heard of. They ended up passing it.

MS Medic

Forum Captain

I took the CBT the first year it came out so maybe it has changed some since. But while I didn't get that many questions, I started getting things like "Which of the following obscure knots is best for tying a sling and swath?" While I'm paraphrasing the question, I did get one like that so I can't say the difficulty of the questions is a good indicator.

But who knows, I always could be wrong.

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
The last time I took it (Failed) I had a ton of questions that left me scratching my head knowing that I wasn't taught anything about that as well. It wasn't from the lack of a good instructor or course because my Instructor is nationally known in Paramedicine especially PHTLS. I had like 132 questions and it stopped and I found out the next day I had failed. I actually had a knot question as well and I am pretty sure I got it correct. I study constantly and have good habits but if you have never head of what the question is asking about you are screwed no matter how well you prepare yourself. Good Luck I hope you passed, some people know their stuff but fail at test taking!

jkrewko

Forum Crew Member
i passed my nremt-p the first time. it stopped at 150. also had another person from my class get to 150 and pass

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The last time I took it (Failed) I had a ton of questions that left me scratching my head knowing that I wasn't taught anything about that as well. It wasn't from the lack of a good instructor or course because my Instructor is nationally known in Paramedicine especially PHTLS. I had like 132 questions and it stopped and I found out the next day I had failed. I actually had a knot question as well and I am pretty sure I got it correct. I study constantly and have good habits but if you have never head of what the question is asking about you are screwed no matter how well you prepare yourself. Good Luck I hope you passed, some people know their stuff but fail at test taking!

Forgive me...

You had a great course, great instructors, and have good preparation habits, and you failed having never before seen some of the questions?

I think your assessment of your class, instructor, or study regiment may be overly optimistic.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
Over the course of my medic didactic portion I was probably exposed to more than 2000 multiple choice questions. About half of those questions were on tests where if you scored below an 80% it was considered failing (my program had a 3 strikes and you're out rule).

The rest of the multiple choice questions were presented in random fashion every day in quizzes. These quizzes did not necessarily correlate with what we were learning but it was to help us lean how to take multiple choice question tests, but to also learn new material.

I took my NREMT-P written test 6 months after finishing the didactic portion and my test shut off at 80 questions. I passed.

A good program should teach you the material but also teach you how to take the test, by presenting challenging test questions. A good test taker should be almost able to pass a test on any material purely based on understanding how the question works.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Over the course of my medic didactic portion I was probably exposed to more than 2000 multiple choice questions. About half of those questions were on tests where if you scored below an 80% it was considered failing (my program had a 3 strikes and you're out rule).

The rest of the multiple choice questions were presented in random fashion every day in quizzes. These quizzes did not necessarily correlate with what we were learning but it was to help us lean how to take multiple choice question tests, but to also learn new material.

I took my NREMT-P written test 6 months after finishing the didactic portion and my test shut off at 80 questions. I passed.

A good program should teach you the material but also teach you how to take the test, by presenting challenging test questions. A good test taker should be almost able to pass a test on any material purely based on understanding how the question works.
Very true

AirMed44

Forum Probie
I was lucky enough to sit on an NREMT item writing committee recently. When you see a lot of the same questions, it's usually one of two things. Either a) they are asking you the same question at a different difficulty or b) you are getting one of the "test" questions meaning they are trying to see if the question is valid. You don't know it, but there are usually 10 - 15 of those in almost every exam. Good luck!

p2medic

Forum Ride Along
150 the first time failed, 150 the second time passed. I can't stress it enough that number of questions doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.