Haiti Earthquake EMS response

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
Cuba was still a nation willing to help with or without Castro. During Katrina, 200 doctors were offered to the U.S. within 24 hours. This little country has also gone to assist with relief in the islands for other major hurricanes and the U.S. problem has not stopped them from offering medical care to those who need it. Cuba has not had issues with other governments such as what exists with the U.S. and many other countries use Cuba still as a big tourist destination as well as sending monetary support by way of investments.

True, however due to his health was he in control of his country, or were other members of his cabinet? At the time of Katrina his health was in a defacto state of deterioration and he had all but abdicated his authority to trusted relatives.

lets not forget this is the man who wanted nuclear weapons to annihilate us during the cold war, now you imply he was a humanitarian? in my opinion this a contradiction in terms.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
True, however due to his health was he in control of his country, or were other members of his cabinet? At the time of Katrina his health was in a defacto state of deterioration and he had all but abdicated his authority to trusted relatives.

lets not forget this is the man who wanted nuclear weapons to annihilate us during the cold war, now you imply he was a humanitarian? in my opinion this a contradiction in terms.

Castro had not fully left his post at that time. There have also been many, many other disasters that Cuba has participated in as well as some of their own. Do no criticize a country that you may not know much about except for propaganda issued by some who want the border to remain closed for their own agenda.

Do you understand the role played by Russia in the Cuban Missle crisis?

Why the double standard? What about our relations with China, Russia, Germany, Korea and Japan? Remember a little incident called "Pearl Harbor"?

Get over your hatred for Cuba. The U.S. has also been judged by the actions of its Presidents as well and Bush was not a shining star on this planet. Should all Americans be judged by his actions? Should the humanitarian efforts which are allowed by Cuba be disregarded because you hold a grudge for something that happened 50 years ago?

reaper

Working Bum
Is America a humanitarian country? We wanted Nuclear weapons to annihilate Russia during the cold war, does that make us heartless?

Of course not. Castro did treat his own people bad and that is why he was a Dictator. Treating his enemies bad, does not make his country bad. Cuba has always been known for the aid it provides to other small countries, even when Castro was in power.

The Cuban people are very giving. Unless you have been around them, you would not realize this from what you read in the news.

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
Is America a humanitarian country? We wanted Nuclear weapons to annihilate Russia during the cold war, does that make us heartless?

Of course not. Castro did treat his own people bad and that is why he was a Dictator. Treating his enemies bad, does not make his country bad. Cuba has always been known for the aid it provides to other small countries, even when Castro was in power.

The Cuban people are very giving. Unless you have been around them, you would not realize this from what you read in the news.

The fact is I have met a few Cubans, and as you said, they are people like any other. Truth be told, I have never met one I didn't like. I went to the Island with a kid from Cuba, and he was a good man; honest and sincere. However, Castro was a different issue.

How many people died becasue he sent them of in rafts across the Atlantic ocean? He may have put on a good show for the world, but he was an evil man. He may have done some good but even Hitler did good; in my opinion it doesn't make either one of them good people.

I am disputing he may have done good deeds, but when put into perspective, at least in my opinion, political motives are not morally justified.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Get the thread back on topic or it will be closed.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

Kind of like Venezuela...we don't always get a long, but they have been charitable.

/off topic

So back on topic, has anyone seen and numbers on how many rescuers are there or a list of the resources? We were discussing it today at work, and I was curious if someone was keeping track somewhere (besides some UN guy in an office).

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The fact is I have met a few Cubans, and as you said, they are people like any other. Truth be told, I have never met one I didn't like. I went to the Island with a kid from Cuba, and he was a good man; honest and sincere. However, Castro was a different issue.

How many people died becasue he sent them of in rafts across the Atlantic ocean? He may have put on a good show for the world, but he was an evil man. He may have done some good but even Hitler did good; in my opinion it doesn't make either one of them good people.

I am disputing he may have done good deeds, but when put into perspective, at least in my opinion, political motives are not morally justified.

Again you have little knowledge about what has happened in Cuba or the relations with the U.S.

Anyway, the rest of this should be taken to the "Violence in Haiti" thread.

Haiti has been under political turmoil for decades. The U.S. had its own opinions of Haiti's government and of its people as well. The treatment of Haitians coming to this country is very different than others because they have not been granted politicial asylum. That was also a hindrance initially in the early airlift efforts. Priority was also given to U.S. citizens and others from countries that asked for assistance to get their people evacuated. But then this is not different than when the U.S evacuates its citizens from other disaster areas be it war or natural.

Last edited by a moderator: