Hah, my new agency

Hockey

Quackers
Was checking out the trucks at my new agency and guess what we have?

Seriously guess!

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Oh, I'm like a giddy kid at this new place. Its a county EMS agency and let me tell you, they have the NICEST equipment I have ever seen.

Some of the people gripe about the equipment. I just look all wide eyed playing with everything I can get my hands on.

I'm such a newbie again. My fulltime job though, the equipment is a joke. Seriously

Newer trucks. All mods. Huge in the back. Actually got legroom in the front. Just so nice!

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
OK the answer is....

Dog catcher poles

Yes ladies and gents, a dog catcher pole (or whatever the heck you call em)

Someone donated some a year or so ago.

Nobody really knows why they are in the truck

Maybe for the crazy patients that won't let you get near em?

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, wow. I can actually see how those would be handy, though, if you had a dog that wouldn't let you get to a pt or something. But that would probably fall under "going into an unsafe scene", LOL.

Actually, I just thought of a recent situation where those would have been handy - a local FD got called out to get a pet parrot out of a tree. They ended up knocking it out with a hose, but a pole with a loop on the end probably would have been easier.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Nice! There seems to be lots of somewhat useles stuff on rigs, but that may actually come in handy depending on the type of Animal control you have available to you for support.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Nice! There seems to be lots of somewhat useles stuff on rigs, but that may actually come in handy depending on the type of Animal control you have available to you for support.

There's a MacGyver in us all.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
There seems to be lots of somewhat useles stuff on rigs.

In my county Traction Splints fell out of favor. While they are still on all the Ambulances and Engines, the County EMSA just started tossing or giving away a lot of he older hares. I don't know how it happened, but most of them ended up at our SAR Cache. When I was new to the team I was going through the rigs and noticed that the primary utility had 4 hares! The secondary unit (a huge older ford SUV) has 2 hares! And the Mine Rescue Truck (a bigger Fire Engine type Rescue Unit) had another 2 hares! I've never seen more than one on any Engine or Ambulance, and according to one of our older Team Leaders we have only used traction maybe twice in 34 years and here we have 8 in the rigs? 5 of theymare now stacked up in a storage room!

The other interesting thing I saw: The county hospital closed this last year after 100 years in operation. When cleaning out the basement, they found dozens of old WW2 Army Cots (folding wooden ones with canvas). Well one of the team leaders decided that we just had to have those! They are all stacked up in a storage romm too!

No rabies poles yet, but I also found an old demand valve in one of the trucks the other day. Have never seen one of those in real life before.

Last edited by a moderator:

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Oh, wow. I can actually see how those would be handy, though, if you had a dog that wouldn't let you get to a pt or something. But that would probably fall under "going into an unsafe scene", LOL.

Actually, I just thought of a recent situation where those would have been handy - a local FD got called out to get a pet parrot out of a tree. They ended up knocking it out with a hose, but a pole with a loop on the end probably would have been easier.

Was the bird still alive??? I am just picturing a fire hose nozzle knocking a bird out of a tree... :p

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Was the bird still alive??? I am just picturing a fire hose nozzle knocking a bird out of a tree... :p

Ha ha, yes, the bird was fine. They hit it with a short stream of water, (this was after trying to reach it with several ladders) it had its wings clipped so it flapped and fluttered down to the ground and someone threw a turnout coat over it, and the owner grabbed it.

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
zombiesurvivalkit.jpg

All ambulances should have one, right next to the fire extinguishers.

Also, if you have a Japanese system, Zombie vs. Ambulance for the Playstation 2.