Gupta thumping people

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
No, I think the real issue is did he really need to edit this and create more drama than what is already occurring? Did my screen glitch or was the "thump" edited out? I replayed twice....seems rather dramatic to me and I will explain why...

I have a lot of experience working with Indians, Nepalese, Pakistanis and Afghanis. Culturally, they are VERY similar in some aspects when it comes to medical care. They like to play "possum" a lot! It does not matter how minor or how serious something is, they will play the part very well...to the point where I myself have doubted my assessment at times. They are that good.

While I do not doubt this woman has injuries, I strongly doubt she suffered cardiac arrest and even more strongly doubt his thump fixed it and allowed her to be "fine" for the remainder of flight.

My BS detector is strong on this one and I dislike creative editing. Drama Code was already in full effect without shenanigans on behalf of the reporter (was that Brian Williams?)? :)

Last edited:

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I have a lot of experience working with Indians, Nepalese, Pakistanis and Afghanis. Culturally, they are VERY similar in some aspects when it comes to medical care. They like to play "possum" a lot! It does not matter how minor or how serious something is, they will play the part very well...to the point where I myself have doubted my assessment at times. They are that good.
Why is this? Is there an expectation of better care if a more serious condition is feigned?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
It seems that way to Western eyes looking in...but as I said, it is cultural and I have seen it in all age groups, all demographics of individuals from those countries.

I do not think they are faking a more serious condition, I think they are adopting an attitude of solemness.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I figured I was looking at it in the wrong light. Thanks for your insight in something that seems out of place.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Heavily edited video and commentary for entertainment TV.

As @akflightmedic said, there can be, seemingly odd, cultural differences in outward response to pain or discomfort. Its not "faking" as much as just a different way of showing it.